Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Kwikee Leveling System

Hello,
I have a 2004 Itasca Sunova 27C P32 Workhorse chassis with the GM 4L85e transmission. I got the annoying jacks down beeping. After I exercise the levelers I have the all green board with know beeping, that is for awhile. My thought was, could a solvent be used to flush the kwikee hydraulic system. This may help free a stuck valve? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I have no auto leveling system.

Tim
Tim Nadaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am far from an expert in this area. Have you checked the fluid level when the jacks are up? I know that when the fluid is low the jacks beeper will sound. I believe you have only one sensor that will be somewhere on the main manifold. I do not believe each jack has a sensor. I do not know about using a solvent to flush the lines that to me seems like asking for more problems. In a past unit of mine there was a part about "changing" the hydraulic fluid after so many years. I did that which was alot of fun!
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

be happy,
Thanks for the response. I believe my fluid level is correct, but I will check it again. I think changing fluid my help. Anyway, I will post my findings to share info.
Tim
Old 09-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Itasca Sunova 27C P32 Workhorse chassis with the GM 4L85e transmission. Thought I would share this experience. Lowed the leveling jacks, (not auto) then was unable to raise the leveling jacks. Motor and pump run but no dice.

Applied 12 volts to the Directional Solenoid on the pump block. Heard the solenoid click.

Next, I wanted to measure that 12 volts was present at the Directional Solenoid. Had the wife started the rv and pressed the panel ON button, then she pressed the all up button. All jacks retracted. All fluid levels are correct, I'm guessing the Directional Solenoid area is the problem but not convinced its the Directional Solenoid. The Kwikee pump block Directional Solenoid probably activates a spool valve for direction position, my thoughts are this valve could be sticking? If anybody has fooled around with this setup I would appreciate any info.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Tim,
I had a 2008 Winnebago Destination 39w. I had the jack beep problem. My ultimate fix was to pull the controller and install a single pole single throw toggle switch. Mine was easy to get to as it was on a panel next to the entry door. There is a 4 pin connector (on mine and I don't think they changed the design) and the red wire is the power wire. I cut the wire and put on spade lugs then attached the wires to the switch. Jacks up, switch off - no beep. I was told that the jacks would not leak down pass the pressure point and mine only came down an inch or so. For months I would stop along out route and check their position.

Flushing the system may help as a piece of rust or grit could have gotten under the seal - it happens,

Use a turkey baster (don't tell the wife you used hers)stick it in the hydraulic tank, suck up some fluid. Get a paper towel and go to an unused area near the MH and put the fluid in the paper towel, cheese cloth will work also. As the fluid is drained through the towel look for sediment or rust. If there is sediment or rust flushing may be necessary. Getting a piece of sediment or rust from underneath the seal is something I cannot address. It just has to get free.

Also on each jack there is a "reed" switch, a magnetic switch that engages when the jacks are up. they are wired in series so wires will have to be removed from each one to check for continuity. Check with Kwikee but I think it is pin 6 of the multi wire connector that should be shunted to ground when all the jacks are up and the reed switches are good.

Good luck. I went 8 years with my oh/off switch installed. I spent 10 days at the Winnebago factory and they could not fix it then. It's a long long story.

Good luck.

Edit: If you put in the switch, the only time it is disconnected from the power is when the jacks are up. Leave it on when jacks are down. When you pull in to level and push the button and nothing happens you will remember to turn the switch on. If you turn it off after the jacks are down you will not hear the alarm and drastic things could happen, Be careful.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wayne,
Thanks for the reply. Great info. The way this system is designed any debris will cause problems. Still would like to know if the Directional Solenoid is positioning a spool valve? If so, debris will cause a variety of problems.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Wayne,
I'm thinking about placing a switch from the Direction Solenoid plug. If you think about it, in my case, if you disconnect the DS connector the valve is set to one position, in my case, the spool valve is set to lower the jacks through the panel. To raise the jacks use normal procedures but turn the switch on, sending 12 volts to the panel which simulates the DS shifting. The good thing about this is all the safety interlocks are perserved. I'll document my findings.

Wayne, what manual switch did you use (Amps, etc)?

Just so food for thought, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
Old 09-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Tim,

I don't remember the amperage but it was 12v. I don't think the control boar takes that much amperage. Check the manual and see if it has the specifications. The AWG of the positive wire was not that big.
Sorry not much help.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nadaud View Post
Wayne,
I'm thinking about placing a switch from the Direction Solenoid plug. If you think about it, in my case, if you disconnect the DS connector the valve is set to one position, in my case, the spool valve is set to lower the jacks through the panel. To raise the jacks use normal procedures but turn the switch on, sending 12 volts to the panel which simulates the DS shifting. The good thing about this is all the safety interlocks are perserved. I'll document my findings.

Wayne, what manual switch did you use (Amps, etc)?

Just so food for thought, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
I've not dealt with the hydraulics enough to be much help but on the amps for the proposed toggle, I would guess that most any $3-4 toggle will be good enough as they are often 15-20 amp so plenty to do for cutting off and alarm circuit?
Just a thought based on limited experience with that system!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Richard, that should more than cover it,
Thanks.

Tim, when I removed my controller the positive wire went to a very small module that was just floating in the area when I traced the wire. I was going to cut it and put on auto motive push pins/plugs but the module already had push on connectors. Made the job easier. Cut the wire between the module and the computer, add push on connectors and apply to toggle swirtch.

My control unit was just inside the entry door. I had to exchange the first toggle for one with a longer threaded area, Drilled a hole next to the controller to mount it.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Wayne,
Thanks for the reply. Your right, don;t believe the amps are a problem.
Tim
Old 09-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nadaud View Post
be happy,
Thanks for the response. I believe my fluid level is correct, but I will check it again. I think changing fluid my help. Anyway, I will post my findings to share info.
Tim
When you retract/store the jacks do not immediately shut off the system, wait at least one minute for the system to stabilize after the travel light comes on.

HWH says not to change fluid unless there are signs of contamination. There is no way to simply flush the system. If anything foreign is put in the system the jacks will have to be removed and the solvent flushed out with HWH oil,
reference:HWH FAQ page
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ray,
Thanks for the info. After further investigation, I found out my ribbon cable to the control board was loose. Reconnected and everything worked fine. It usually doesn't happen like that.
Tim
Old 09-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Some one was in a hurry putting the connector on and did not click it in place.

Glad you found the problem.

Tags
kwikee, leveling