Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Dog "baby" gate worked perfectly over memorial day weekend. Thanks for the suggestions!
Lizzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We use strap on harnesses strapped to the seat belts on the couch, keeps the dogs under control and also safe if we have to make a sudden maneuver. They would prefer to be free to roam, but just like we have to be belted in, they should be as well.
No-one wants splattered dog on the dash/windshield, or splattered human.
Crashes happen without warning,and suddenly. Many years ago my wife(now X) was up walking to the bedroom, a man ran a stoplight (I was on a 2-lane highway) I jammed the brakes-still T-boned him. Wife came flying, impacted the dash, broke both wrists, and was severely bruised and sore all over for 3/4 months.
Now, if anyone isn't belted, I'm not moving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

When we first started to travel with Bess, I had her in a seat belt harness. Over time, she has claimed her seat right in back of the driver so she can watch for traffic. It's common to hear her breathing over our shoulder...LOL. Our Honey has the cockpit seats and then immediately behind them are 2 swivel seats in our 'living room/entry area".
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Lizzrd,

I just seen your question to me back in post #12.

I made my dog a rope leash about 6'. It is short enough that he can't get into the front seats or touch the dash. I use the tie down that Winnebago used to clamp down the swivel chair. Earlier I had removed the swivel chair to install a custom floor cabinet for the TV. This is working well for my wife and me.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No-one wants splattered dog on the dash/windshield, or splattered human.
Crashes happen without warning,and suddenly. Many years ago my wife(now X) was up walking to the bedroom, a man ran a stoplight (I was on a 2-lane highway) I jammed the brakes-still T-boned him. Wife came flying, impacted the dash, broke both wrists, and was severely bruised and sore all over for 3/4 months.
Now, if anyone isn't belted, I'm not moving.
At the risk of annoying some, I will restate my case for strapping dogs in with a harness attached to a vehicle seat belt. The last this anyone wants if you have to slam on the brakes or make a sudden manuver is a dog crashing into a pet gate and it and the dog flying who knows where, dog yelping wife screaming, driver trying to keep control and not be distracted. Check the dogs catalogs, nice strap on harnesses (not collars) that will keep you and the dog safe and not flying around. In crashes, people are not the only things that will fly around if not belted in.

A leash clipped onto a collar could seriously injure the dog in a panic stop where the pet is thrown forward and the collar cuts into or breaks the neck, thus we use a full body type harness that clips around the upper body.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Our dog rides ins a pet carrier when we're underway.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Training is what it takes. My (actually the Wife's) Pug does pretty good. Every now and then we have to remind him to not go under the Captains chair, that's only because he wants to take the Navigators seat and she won't have that happen.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

We use a section of a pet enclosure. It is a heavy plastic panel. It fits behind the drivers seat and across the cab opening with the other end wedged behind passenger seat. We travel with a Sheltie and Australian shepherd. They usually sleep under the dinette table where we have a pad for them.

It is easily & quickly removable.
daisylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I use the seatbelt on the fold out sofa in our Dutch Star through the loop in their leashes. Allows the dogs some freedom of movement, but they don't have enough freedom to interfere with us in the front. Dogs have been restrained this way since they were puppies. They chill on a blanket we put on top of the leather sofa.