Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2021, 12:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Keep Drawers from Opening

We have a 2018 era 70m. It has drawers behind doors in the passageway. When loaded these drawers push open the outer doors even when the doors are latched. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to keep the drawers from pushing out when rounding corners?
Clarkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Without really understanding your situation, I would suggest going the child safety lock route. They make many different styles of those locks one might work for you. The other may be the spring loaded torsion bars that are used in the frig.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some points that we have found help.
One is deciding where to keep the heavier stuff, for staying set, rather than logical point of use as we normally would.
Two things that change how much force is put on the drawer/door latching. One is how much weight is going to shift and how high that point. We find that a heavy item will stay in place better if it is down lower or in a drawer that goes front to back, rather than left/right. We find the most trouble on places like sharp, short interstate loops where we go in too fast for the really short ones and they are also prone to being really rough so the bounce and side motion get he latch open.
Our last RV, we had the six pack of soda under the bed as it flew out when in any kitchen drawer!
But for pans that we did really want in the ki9tchen, we finally went for the bottom drawer but that was still not enough at times, so we added a bungee strap, running from the bottom of the oven, down across under the handle and back to the oven on the other side.
We find we trade often and mods of any sort tend to degrade the RV value, even if they work and are needed as it points out to buyers that there is a problem---even if it helps solve the problem! So we don't drill holes, etc that can be seen as a problem for future buyers.
A different idea though, is to keep things from building momentum! A six pack of soda has less chance popping the drawer open if it is held solid so that it can't build up force. Think of how you get a car through a snow bank? You get a run at it, right?
So if you pack things in the drawer with padding, etc. they get less "run" started to fly out! Extra towels, even clothing, maybe but put the heavy down as low as possible because the higher does get more distance and momentum on than lower corners.

NEVER put flour, sugar, and messy stuff like syrup high. Too much chance of an "air burst" effect!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Richard makes very good points.

Additionally, if the drawer has that standard push-pull latch you can get one with a higher pound rating or as I did to one drawer, added a second one.

Also,we now use Gear Ties and buy the heavy duty ones (Thicker) and for the drawers that have handles we wrap each end through the top drawer handle through the next drawer down handle and wrap the ball end tightly around the handle, So far we have not had a problem and one drawer with canned goods,
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Our kitchen drawers fell out a couple of times when making right turns. I added stronger latches (10lb pull) as well as child-proof catches. Also moved the heavy pots and pans to a bedroom drawer that is up against the bed when the slide is in. The CHF helped a lot by lessening the body sway when turning corners as well.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I installed matching drawer pull handles on the cabinet face above and below the drawer stack in our rig. When traveling I run a velcro strap through all the drawer pulls, and the "fixed place" pulls I installed prevent the stack from opening.
IOS 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:02 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Also,we now use Gear Ties and buy the heavy duty ones (Thicker) and for the drawers that have handles we wrap each end through the top drawer handle through the next drawer down handle and wrap the ball end tightly around the handle, So far we have not had a problem and one drawer with canned goods,
I think these would also be good for securing the freezer/fridge doors together.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
I think these would also be good for securing the freezer/fridge doors together.
They sure would..used them on previous MH. The new residential refrigerator in this MH uses the drawer catch at the top of each door. Works great, The bottom freezer had a small rotatable latch similar to shower doors that keeps it closed,
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #9
2015 Winnebago View 24V

For my 2015 Winnebago View, I bought flat magnetic catches from Amazon (about $2 @ piece) that hold about 15 lbs on either side of my kitchen drawers. Simply and inexpensive solution with no exterior mods needed to drawers.
Sailorman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
Boondocker

Go to Home Depot or somewhere like that, and ask for ball-bearing spring latches.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #11
Boondocker

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ric...kel/1001073123https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ric...kel/1001073123
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
…. Snipped ….

Additionally, if the drawer has that standard push-pull latch you can get one with a higher pound rating or as I did to one drawer, added a second one.

…. Snipped ….

That’s exactly what I did shortly after getting our current rig back in 10/2017 …. changed out all of the OEM 5 pound latches for 10 pound latches. None have ever popped open inadvertently since.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I use a phillips head drywall screw with large washers one centered between top and bottom of 2 drawers. Screws into the drawer frame rail. Just install with a phillips head screwdriver where the washer seats with slight pressure on the top and bottom of the 2 drawers before traveling and remove when you set up after arrival. Each one adds one little hole, almost un-noticable.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I added these to cupboards and drawers where we had issues. I seriously don’t think it would deter a buyer, and they’re way easier to push in and lock than the bungee cords we had used….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFDB39CB-FE66-40E0-9D45-0B9BE1720915.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	180529   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DC0DC0C-399D-4B9C-9329-A3B52E0ED72D.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	180530  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0A787E0B-C15A-48FB-8E7A-A5DE4C5089ED.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	180531  
Old 09-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Some metal drawer guides have a tip on them that catches on the drawer section to hold the drawer closed. You must lift up on the drawer to open. When packing up the drawer is lifted a bit and pushed completely closed to secure in place.
Those tips get bent inward with normal use, the drawer is removed and the small tips straightened straight up again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

It is noteworthy that in decades of making RVs, no one has effectively managed the drawer problem, at least that I am aware of, in a production RV.

That is a sad state of development in the industry.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to all who responded. Ray, I will look into your suggestion. For our just completed trip I went with a quick and dirty solution. I bought thin aluminum flat bar, cut it to the correct length and bent it so it fits behind the bottom door lip and then up and under the bottom of the shelf above the top drawer. It straps vertically holding both drawers in place and is an easy bend to remove/reinstall. We did 1700 miles through twisty mountain roads with no problems. Nothing shows when the outer doors are closed. Might be something that works better for our next trip but it’s plenty good enough for now.
Clarkc is offline   Reply With Quote