Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
NOOB Navion Owner

Kayaks, etc.

The “spark” to buy a Motorhome in the first place was so we could extend the area we could kayak, in and around Oregon, without having to spend more time driving than kayaking.

I had gotten tired of lugging the kayaks up to the top of my FJ Cruiser fairly quickly, so I got a kayak trailer.

Now we have a Navion to pull the kayak trailer but I start reading about toads. We are thinking instead of a toad we would get electric bikes or scooters. Any bike rack we add to the trailer hitch will reduce our overall cargo capacity.

I have seen some trailers that can both accommodate bikes (bicycles) and kayaks but they don’t look like they could handle anything as heavy as a scooter. Then there is the issue of loading and unloading a scooter or dirt bike.

I was just wondering how others here solved this problem.

Thanks in Advance,

Dave
Old 12-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We do it like this...I have a removable roller that slips under the roof rack at the rear that I roll the boat up onto the car with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35417641_1857691087587197_5000739158419832832_o.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	172583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	172584  

Old 12-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
NOOB Navion Owner

I was thinking more along these terms, except with the addition of two 12 foot kayaks.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

There you go. Now you need a good fabricator/welder to add the yak racks. I have only seen one trailer with motors and kayaks being hauled. In South Dakota, guy had two Harleys (his/hers) loaded the other way (longitudinal or lengthwise) and the yaks were between the two bikes stacked. It's all about details and what you want. In the real world today of insane kayak mount prices by the two major vendors it is probably less expensive to get custom fabricated anyway. I miss the days when vehicles had rain gutters and you spent $25 for the towers, bought a few 2x4s and bolted it together. Back then we never heard of anyone having a bike or kayak stolen either - that's changed as well - lock em up tight. Ahhh, fiberglass yaks on rocky whitewater rivers, duct tape, patching them at night and sometimes snapping them in half doing enders and playing.

My trailer is the toad. 2018 Subaru Forester 6MT with racks on top. Sea kayak, SOTs, they all go up. I use the pull-out rod on the round bar by Yakima. Loosen it up, pull it out, put the bow of yak on the bar, scoot it up and a slight lift of the stern onto the bar, then the bow goes into the saddle, then the stern. I gave up two wheels when I sold the Low Rider about 20 years ago.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote