Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Yes, a new chassis battery first, then get the mobile tech to install all three, along with any fuse needed, as I will have a new fuse holder on hand by then.
If the jacks still don't work then we worry about that 200A fuse.
We made it worse trying to install our own house batteries by breaking the fuse holder.
Thanks so much!

Now I also have a truck camper with soft wood where the jacks attach, lol. Threatening to fall into the driveway on its nose. Another dilemma, another day, another forum.
Sandmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

The only thing on an Rv that works all the time is???

The owner!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Mobile RV Tech

So, after it finally occurred to me to find a local mobile tech, (STUPID ME) Frank came out, IMMEDIATELY, did troubleshooting of all kinds and fixed the entire problem in one hour.
Plus he redid all the battery connections, is returning with a fuse for the inverter, and I don't even know what he charges yet.
What was wrong was that a bundle of exposed copper wires to the jacks under the front driver wheel had been splashed with salt, at the beach and on our way home on icy roads last winter, corroded and causing the jacks to fault. He spliced it all and fixed everything, God bless his mechanical, electrical heart.
Men are so underrated.
I'm a fan.
Thanks everyone!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #24
Veteran RV Owner

If you have Lippert Jacks, there is a manual procedure to get the jacks up. You will need a good battery operated drill (18V or better), a 1/2 socket, and a 5/16 (?) Allen wrench to raise the jacks. The procedure is in the Lippert manual. Bear in mind, there are 4 valves on the pump, one for each jack (2 valves up front that you can see are the front jacks, the two valves on the opposite side that are hard to see are the rear jacks. Each jack should be raised manually one at a time!
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

We are age 70 and my husband is a retired, very intellectual, Internal Medicine doctor who doesn't have tools or any know how. (He cuts the grass, I do the rest)
He broke the housing for the battery connection to the inverter and feels so terrible about it He just tried to install two new house batteries so the generator would start!
So there is no way we can do any of the diagnostics or remediation ourselves.$275. today.
I think we will sell the RV, 3 years old, through the only dealer in our area, Freightliner, WITH the toad, a 2000 Wrangler in good shape, all the fittings and look at a small fifth wheel with a generator.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Have you measured voltage at the hydraulic pump? I have a 2015 Vista 27, and blew a fuse that was for the pump when trying to level. With no voltage at the pump, I located a 150 amp fuse behind the exterior fuse panel on drivers side near pump. It was a style readily available at an auto parts store.
abqnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmason View Post
Help! 2018 Vista 29VE
We needed to go buy new house batteries because our generator wouldn't start but the jacks wouldn't retract, low voltage message.
So we tried to install them ourselves. A nut doesnt fit quite right, AND we noticed that the fuse mounted on the wall of the battery compartment, one of two, was damaged, now, after struggling with the nut, the plastic housing is broken off.
That leaves the hot wires dangling around, sparking.
So we need to drive the Vista 29VE to Transwest, our only dealer but I cannot get the jacks up. With the new batteries the generator started right up but the jacks still say Low Voltage.
How do we make the jacks come up? We can't even have it towed with jacks down.
I have a 2018 31 g Minnie. The motor has to be running for the jacks to operate. I would think you're house batery,s my were Napa and shouldn't have failed yet.
68silverlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Ours turned out to be exposed electrical connections to the jacks, badly placed under the chassis on the drivers side. Happy with our Mobile RV tech who fixed it. Not the fuse the Winnebago people said it was..
Old 09-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #29
WinnieAdven38

On our 2005 Adventurer the jacks are powered by the engine battery - not the house batteries.
If yours is wired the same then you replaced all your house batteries - so they are now good - but you did not solve the low voltage issue. Our HWH system relies on decent engine battery voltage to run the high pressure hydraulic motor, which runs the jacks. If yours is the same then you can damage that motor trying to run it with insufficient voltage.
However - the good news is that if yours is powered the same as ours then starting the engine should have it's alternator putting out higher voltage to charge it's battery, and hence operate your jacks.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks