Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

J-Couch and recliner

Hey Folks;
CHECKED THE SEARCH, BUT NO GO..SO FIGURED I WOULD ASK HERE.

So we want to replace our j-couch with 2 recliners but have some concerns since the couch is on the slide out platform that measures about 26 1/2 inches in depth.
Has anyone replace the j-couch with recliners ?
I assume I need that platform and therefore by no way want to try to remove it ?
DOes anyone have any pictures of what they have done? Perhaps extend the platform ?
THanks
ihbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We replaced the OEM recliner with a leather Euro recliner with foot stool and love it.

Not sure what you mean about a 'slideout platform.' Do you mean the slideout floor is not level with the coach floor when the slide is extended? If so, we also replaced the OEM Winnebago Rest-Easy sofa with a LazyBoy reclining love seat. The base of the Lazyboy hangs over the edge of the slideout floor about 2" but works fine otherwise. Our big slide is a flat floor, so it is level with the coach floor when it is extended.

It would be helpful to include the model and year of your coach in your signature so folks with a similar model can advise.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Here are some pix

Don ? Don is it ?
Thanks for your quick reply. I updated the signature as it is more visible than the public profile..

Now back to the jackknife couch..
Here is my pictures JACKKNIFE

Sorry if some of my questions are not specific yet, as I am still learning about RV's in general.

So since the couch is on this platform is it considered structural\critical if I remove that couch specific portion of the platform so I could have a bigger footprint for the recliners to sit on?

I assume that the reason for platform is for the nuts and bolts of the couch to fasten to so it can slide out as well as structural.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Couch gone...

I took it the couch out by myself...no help here..Heavy balancing son of a gun..but still manageable.
I took some more pictures (updated my previous gallery in the above reply). No it is not structural in any way. NOW to figure out recliners or love-seat or back to another newer couch...

FOR THOSE ATTEMPTING THIS..Simple 12 bolts 3/8 to the floor and in my case an over engineered subwoofer box with 4 phillips screws (Will change that to a more efficient sub later). Also you might want to remove the z plates that held the sofa to the floor (Would hate to have any one mar themselves up or the RV)

WORK SMART AND KNOW YOUR ANGLES TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET IT OUT BY YOURSELF..AND MAKE SURE THE COUCH DOES NOT OPEN (Tie downs work around the front to prevent it from opening).

A suggestion...if you want to keep the couch a moving blanket on the ground will help keep it clean as well as aide in maneuverability.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here's an idea if you're trying to decide between 2 recliners or a love seat for that space. Lay-z-Boy has reclining love seats. We've got 1 in our stick-house family room (to go with a reclining ends sofa) & just love it. It combines the best of both furnitures & looks similar to the one below.

Nice thing about La-Z-Boy reclining furniture, the backs come off for ease getting through doorways. Plus, it lasts forever. We've had our pieces going on 15 years & they look & operate as good as the day they were delivered.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We removed the J-lounge from our RAISED floor slide and put what would be called a bedroom dresser there (fits under the windown and is full of drawers). Then put a Euro lounger on the main floor and when the slide is in it just sits there in the middle of the floor. There is still room to pass by to get to the rear. On the opposite side is a flat floor slide and we removed the couch and put a cabinet and another Euro lounger there.

Didn't need the two couches so tossed them.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Hi Lori;
That looks like sort of the direction we will go with. We are going out to LA-Z boy today to see if we can take advantage of their sales. Dont want to spend too much but would hate to have something built cheaply and brake on us.

Savannah
I think in our current situation that would be a little bit too much for us, due to the 3 big dogs we have. We don't allow them on couches so they might suffer. But I do like the idea of more drawer space!

IF anyone has any specific models or pictures we would like to read\see them!

Truly a great board!
Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I removed the J-lounger from the "raised" floor and replaced it with 2 Lazy boy "wall hugger" recliners. I extended the raised portion of the floor 12 inches by building a small frame that was screwed to the face of the raised portion. Half-inch plywood was placed on this frame. My rig came with about two yards of spare carpet and I had a carpet installer seam this carpet to the existing carpet. The extension slides very nicely on the main floor as the slide is extended/retracted.

The bad news is it was very uncomfortable watching TV when sitting in the lazy boy chairs as your neck/head is constantly rotated towards the TV. After we are parked we move one chair into the middle of the room facing the TV and leave the second Lazy boy on the raised floor facing the TV. We still have the "rest easy" couch and I would like to remove it however I have not been able to convince the DW. Lazy Boy recliners are comfortable but we are now looking for lighter, equally comfortable, rockers/recliners, like the Euro-lounge recliners.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Roadking;
In my situation the TV is kitty cornered over on the wall corner.
I wish i had extra carpet material, but I do not.
Perhaps it is time to rip up the carpet and put in something else.

I was thinking of just getting 4- 1' 2x2's and putting a plastic 1/2" piece under them so I could have the footing of the la-z boy extend over the raised floor. This way I could still move the chairs and not build an additional extension to the platform.

What I did notice about the LA-z Pinnacles is that they are light and expensive
I did not opt for the swivel version. It felt a little awkward for my build. HOWEVER if I would have gone with the swivel chair I think I could have removed the pizza pie base and fastened the chair onto the platform without extending the raised floor.