Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Talking with a farmer last night, he said he thought there was a law that manufactures had to provide parts for 10 yrs. after build date.

This discussion came about as I was telling him of my experience this week with my mirror on my 2003 ultimate freedom, -- broken metal mount assembly and no parts -- discontinued -- none available -- sure doesn't give you any confidence in coaches!!!!

Has anyone heard of a law like this???
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Talking with a farmer last night, he said he thought there was a law that manufactures had to provide parts for 10 yrs. after build date.

This discussion came about as I was telling him of my experience this week with my mirror on my 2003 ultimate freedom, -- broken metal mount assembly and no parts -- discontinued -- none available -- sure doesn't give you any confidence in coaches!!!!

Has anyone heard of a law like this???
Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Laws might be based on chassis as they fall under many of the motor vehicle laws, but I would doubt they would require the same of the house portion of the RV.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
I helped | retired moderator

I don't believe it to be true, but someone may have info to the contrary.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I don't know about current law, but I had a drill that the brushes broke. I went to sears and they told me 8 years they had to provide parts. That had brush holders, but not the brushes. This was 20 years ago.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I can't speak about parts being available for 10 years but I do have a suggestion.

In Forest City they have a surplus store with oodles and oodles of parts. I have seen a lot of mirror parts there plus tailights and whatever. It is a Winnebago surplus store but I don't have the number. Try the Winnewbago 800 number and maybe they have a number.

It also seems to me that Winnebago in Forest City would have a mirror for an '03 RV.

Good Luck
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Colaws salvage in Carthage MO has lots of parts also.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The law for 10 years applies to auto manufacturers. I don't know how it applies to RV's. Happy Trails,
Christian
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FenceMan:

Has anyone heard of a law like this??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My brother was a parts jobber for several years and that applies to AutoParts but only certain ones such as engine, drivetrain, steering/suspension or custom made parts.

The mirrors are usually standard production parts from one of a few suppliers such as Velvac or Renco(Remco?).

Have you tried contacting the company that made the mirror instead of the one that made the coach?

They may have superceeded that one with a newer model possibly with a stronger arm less prone to beakage. If not they may have another model that is a close match.

A good welding or machine shop may be able weld the broken one back together for you also depending on the metal it is made from.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We got laws against illegal immigration too.

Just because there's a law doesn't mean a thing.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:50 AM   #11
I helped | retired moderator

There may be a law regarding an auto manufacturer supporting a discontinued model for a period of time.

However, if a company files bankruptcy, liquidates all assets and ceases to exist, then I don't see how OEM parts and support would be available form the original company.

Many times, other companies pick up the parts and repair business because there is money to be made.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure on the 10 year law but I would think that would pertain only to Winnebago designed parts. I was told on one of the plant tours that Winnebago may not have a part on hand but still has mold to make it. Such as a shower stall. Anything that was provided by a venter, is a different matter. So if there is a 10 year law, they could jump right through that loop hole.
If you are looking for a replacement part, I would checking out the manufacture as Neil V suggested. Question is, why can't Winnebago provide this information? A 2003 model!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure who you have talked to about ordering the mirror but you can't order directly from Winnebago. I'm sure I'm looking at replacement parts for your mirror in a Winnebago parts & accessories catalog. It is made by Ramco. Contact Mobility R.V. out of Hanlontown,IA. .Phone # is 1-800-933-7742. Also you will notice their advertizement on top of the Winnebago pag. All you need is the year & model of your coach. They will look up the part # & either get it from Winnebago or the manufacture. They ship only by Fed Express so shipping is a little high. You could use any Winnebago dealer but these people seem to know what they are doing. I have ordered from them 3 or 4 times.