Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

For the first time the cold weather snuck up on us. The last few nights the temperatures were in the 28ºf range. I had drain all the water from the lines and fresh water tank after the last time we returned home in October, but I always leave some in the black water tank and the traps for the sinks. Does anyone think there is any chance of any damage has resulted from the overnight temperature extremes? We are usually even further south by the time we see any temperatures below freezing in this area of Sunny South Carolina.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

For the first time the cold weather snuck up on us. The last few nights the temperatures were in the 28ºf range. I had drain all the water from the lines and fresh water tank after the last time we returned home in October, but I always leave some in the black water tank and the traps for the sinks. Does anyone think there is any chance of any damage has resulted from the overnight temperature extremes? We are usually even further south by the time we see any temperatures below freezing in this area of Sunny South Carolina.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 12-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yesterday morning it was 27* here in Destin. My shore water line froze up, so I used my pump & onboard water (~1/4 tank). Black was nearly empty. Had no problems. If the temp stays below frzg during the day, you may have more problems that night. Then I bring in my wtr hose & use a drop light in the water accessory compartment. I'm full-timing, so I don't have the storage issues.

BTW, my heatpump continued to operate down to 28*. I finally manually switched to LP furnace to heat up the basement areas.

And how do you get that little "degree" thingy in your text?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hello Thudman,

Plan to be in Ft Walton right after the first of the new year. We are heading for Mission, Texas and the wife has family in FW. I use the ASCll codes to input things like the degree sign. To input any of the codes you just press Alt and the number of the character. In this case it is Alt 167 (º). If you don't have a copy of the codes, if you never used DOS you may not, do a search and you can print a listing. Still comes in hand and reminds me of the good old days of DOS. This assumes you are using a PC, not sure about a MAC.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Old 12-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Using PC, WIN XP. While typing this, I entered Alt + 167. All I get is a belch sound.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">reminds me of the good old days of DOS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Used to own a PC Junior, in which you had to load DOS from a hubcap-sized disk just to use the confuser. I think the PC Jr was made before electricity.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I also have a pc with windows xp and can get the ○ by pressing alt 9! Its about 40○ today in Wisconsin but has been around 18○ for the last week or so.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just noticed my ○ rides a little low, don't know how to get it into the upper position? Any help out there?
Old 12-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easyrider:
I just noticed my ○ rides a little low, don't know how to get it into the upper position? Any help out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to key in 167 from the NumPad with the NumLock on while holding down either the Left or right ALT Key. Using the NumRow will not work. Worked that way on every PC I've owned since 1989 Dos 3 to 5 along with Win 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2000 and XP.

I work writting analytical/conversion programming in the Windows/Mainframe environments and keep a copy of the codes on my desk as they are still used behind the scenes.

Regards,
Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

NeilV said<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You need to key in 167 from the NumPad with the NumLock on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is ture with a full PC keyboard, but with a notebook and no NumPad the ASCll can be accessed, at least on all the ones I have used, via the Alt NumKeys method.

Easyrider,
Alt 9 = ○ while Alt 167 = º

Forums are really great, where can you go from freezing tempertures to remedial computer studies in one thread

My first PC, which I still have, is a TI-99. That was followed by a Timex Sinclar and then a TSR-80. Got into PC's big time when the systems group purchased an original IBM 8088 with no HD that required DOS be loaded from a 5 1/4 floppy. Just wish I had been man enough to have taken typing in high school, but doing so would have cost me my football letter. It just wasn't the 'manly thing to do back then' and who would have envisioned the wonders of the internet.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Old 12-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

○ º Cool, Thanks!! Lurnt'something new.

Geeche - you should have no problems at 28º for a low. I've done extensive, unintended research in this area.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

DonavonP said,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've done extensive, unintended research in this area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on your posted locations, I bet you have. The bad news is that it actually got to 19ºf that night. That broke a long standing record for this time of year. Sometimes we see temps in the teens during late January, but 40's are more normal for December. Tomorrow I will go to the storage yard and check on the Winnie. Hopefully no surprises.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Old 12-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

If you have heat in the living area, I would not worry about 19º, same as Dononan, But with coach heat on, I'v been to zero, (I have remote thermometer by water tank). Thats when driving, not parked.

Thanks for the "Degree" thing, how soon we (I) forget, I also had a Sinclar, then Atari 400 next Atari 800, was "Past President of S.P.A.C.E. (St. Paul Atari Computer Enthuiast). Oh the good old days of "Hand entering programs"

Bruce
Old 12-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hey guys, I have room for one more RV in my side driveway. Shorts and tee shirt today in Ventura County CA.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I'm California dreaming! Lows in Wisconsin not too bad right now- about 39º tonight but only a high of about 42º tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Gary CA,

Be careful with the invitations, somebody may just show up !!!! We spent a week in the LA area this past May. We are heading for South Texas right after the New Year. Does anyone know what's up with the campfire incons?

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX