Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Itasca goes away

I read today (while in a dealer waiting room) that Winnebago is doing away with the Itasca line. My assumption is that it is a cost cutting move. Not sure hiw quickly the name goes away. My Spirit qwest is now a. Minnie Winnie qwest.

https://rv-pro.com/news/winnebago-ph...itasca-moniker
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hmm, I guess my Sunoval will become a "classic"!
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

...and my Meridian will become a "Winnidian"...!
Old 09-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The reasoning behind the Itasca name going away is public name recognition. Winnebago did a survey last year and found the the Itasca name had a very low public recognition, while the Winnebago name was well know. Add to that, the two lines in recent years no longer had the amenities differences that the 2 names had years ago. The line between the two no linger existed.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

No line, same layout, same price, different colors.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yeah and ad I that Country Coach is going to be starting up soon. That way Winnebago has it's everyday people brand and then it's Exclusive Brand in Country Coach they won't exactly need a third but you never can tell. They may just keep it on the back burner for a few years and bring it out again.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Yeah and ad I that Country Coach is going to be starting up soon. That way Winnebago has it's everyday people brand and then it's Exclusive Brand in Country Coach they won't exactly need a third but you never can tell. They may just keep it on the back burner for a few years and bring it out again.
The CC repair facility is operating and will work on WGO products. Cannot remember the name of a thread where a couple took their coach in for repairs. They were very happy with the result. IMO it forecasts good things for the future.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I don't know how much cost cutting will be realized with eliminating the Itasca branding but I can certainly understand the name recognition advantage and that Winnebago will be able to market high end RVs with the Country Coach brand and RVs for the rest of us under the Winnebago brand. The car makers have been reducing their different brand names for a while now and it makes sense that the RV makers would follow.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

So is/was Itasca considered a "high end" line for Winnebago, or a "low end" line?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
So is/was Itasca considered a "high end" line for Winnebago, or a "low end" line?
Itasca used to be "high end" because there were more standard features. In recent years it has been "same end" with no real differences except colors and name badge.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We(Itasca owners) are not being orphaned - unlike my Pontiac. It is just a Marketing thing. It is my understanding that some years ago, Itasca was carried by some dealers and Winnebago by others. Perhaps exclusivity arrangements.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
Not exactly sure WHO Winnebago surveyed but, The Itasca brand/label has been around for quite a few years and, has a few thousand proud owners/users, of many years and models. Yes, the name "Winnebago" has been applied to coaches since the dawn of time. After all, they were pretty close the first to offer a motor home.

But, Itasca came along as almost the same thought process as the "GMC Pickup and the Chevy Pickup" Both were the same truck but, the GMC for all intent and purpose, was a higher end model. Now, both put out pretty much the same equipment/components with minor differences. Well, Winnebagos Itasca did the same thing. But, as time went on, the demand for the "Options and or differences" in Itasca seemed to slide some, in favor of a bit more pleasureable Winnebago product of almost equal value.

I don't know, and pretty sure the rest of us really don't know what the intent of dropping the Itasca lineup has to do with either cost cutting measures or, is based on customer demand. Only the folks that walk around in ties and sit in A/C offices really know that.

I do know that the CEO (aka "Wife") and I, thoroughly enjoy our 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. It's taken us many thousand miles of pleasure filled fun trips and areas and, will continue to do so. Too bad, I kind-a hate to see the name be dropped.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

The Itasca brand originated for 2 reasons. First off Winnebago had a long term contract with Dodge to supply chassis and power plants. They wanted to use different brands including Oshkosh (now Freightliner) Ford and Chevrolet. Secondly the original dealer contracts had defined territories. They couldn't start additional dealerships within an established dealers territory.

I'm not sure if Winnebago initiated the Itasca brand or purchased it. In any case so as to not upset existing Winnebago dealers they made the Itasca brand somewhat different.

Even as recent as 2001 there were many differences. When we were looking for a motorhome at that time the Itasca products had more standard features, and different color schemes. The comparable Winnebago products could be similarly equipped, but to do so would raise the price higher than that of a comparable Itasca model with the same amenities.

In 2013 we were again looking for a new motorhome. At that time the only differences between comparable models were the interior and exterior color schemes and the badging. We called Winnebago asking for a detailed list of the differences between a Winnebago Adventurer and an Itasca Suncruiser. There were 15 differences, all of which were badging and colors. However even though they were identical the Suncruiser still had a list price nearly $3,000.00 more than the Adventurer. Needless to say we opted for an Adventurer.

More recently the prices are identical. Now the only differences are the badging and colors. I'm not sure if the long term plan includes retaining both lines with the defining differences being the colors, or if in time they may retain the model names under the Winnebago nameplate and once again make more definable differences between them.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The main difference we found while looking for a late model used DP was "more bang for the buck" when comparing a Meridian to the Journey. A fact not all sellers are happy about. Us buyer on the other hand...
Old 09-19-2016, 06:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
The main difference we found while looking for a late model used DP was "more bang for the buck" when comparing a Meridian to the Journey. A fact not all sellers are happy about. Us buyer on the other hand...
That's another not quite understandable phenomenon. The Itasca line has traditionally been more expensive when purchased new, but has a lower resale value.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

My 2016 Itasca Suncruiser does not have Itasca anywhere on the exterior. Across the front it says Winnebago. I'm sure it's titled as Iasca.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
That's another not quite understandable phenomenon. The Itasca line has traditionally been more expensive when purchased new, but has a lower resale value.
Well,
When we were looking for a new(er) D/P coach, approximately 5.5 years ago, we could have purchased a Winne Journey for much less than we paid for our Horizon. Even the Meridians were over the Journeys back then. We certainly had no intent on paying what we did but, as time went on during the search, we found we got used to seeing better equipped/laid out/finer featured coaches in the Itasca lineup. So, we bit the bullet and antied up for the '04 Horizon.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #18

I don't think the intent is to drop the Itasca "line", just the name. I understand there will still be Meridian and Ellipse, etc, but they will say Winnebago instead of Itasca eventually.

When we were looking (2011-2016) - there was absolutely no difference in features or options when comparing the Meridian and Journey or when comparing the Ellipse and Tour other than colors. I combed the brochures, and there just isn't a difference I could find. Now what the Dealers played on price was probably a Dealer thing.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
Not true but if it makes you happy to think this fine with me.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

The main point IMO is no matter WGO will continue to have parts and support for the line no matter how it is designated.

Tags
itasca