Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just wondering if anyone else has these thoughts when purchasing and RV. My wife and I spent the last year looking for the right RV and we found one the Itasca Spirit. It fit all our needs storage, space, quality inside and the way it drove. But we had problems at two dealerships. And we came to the conclusion that for the money you spend on these units and the problems you will have with a new unit it just simply not worth it to owns one. We value our selves more not to be put through the experience of RV ownership. Will stay in the motels and eat out when we travel.
Woolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just wondering if anyone else has these thoughts when purchasing and RV. My wife and I spent the last year looking for the right RV and we found one the Itasca Spirit. It fit all our needs storage, space, quality inside and the way it drove. But we had problems at two dealerships. And we came to the conclusion that for the money you spend on these units and the problems you will have with a new unit it just simply not worth it to owns one. We value our selves more not to be put through the experience of RV ownership. Will stay in the motels and eat out when we travel.
Woolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Its a shame you had a bad experience. For us the motor home is worth it no question about it. Get far more entertainment and the experiences are priceless. Plus of course having your own food and bed when you travel. We bought new with the last one, and had relatively few problem with it. Nothing major enough to leave us stranded.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

That is a personal choice you will have to make. However, after RVing for 10 years in 3 different Rv's (all bought new) and putting up with all the break in issues and poorly trained RV techs, I would still not trade this experience for any thing in the world. As I sit here in my robe, 50' from the ocean breaking on the sand drinking the morning coffee and scratching my faithful dog, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Oh yeah, and it's costing me $30 a day.

But if that is your mindset you are better off staying in a motel. Being out here would just make you misrable. Good luck,

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We've been on both sides of this arguement. We first got into camping in the mid-70's, progressing from a tent to pop-up to TT and ultimately bought our first motorhome back in 1978. Our kids were young and enjoyed it immensely. After a while we got to thinking that for what the MH cost to own and operate we could stay in hotels and eat at restaurants. We asked the kids what they liked most about camping and they answered "the pool at the campground". So, in the mid-80's we sold the MH, put a pool in the back yard and everyone was happy.

Fast forward to the late 90's and we were bitten by the camping bug once again, wanting to be able to camp with our friends in the Jeep club we joined. We started with a little popup, on to a Class C and now to the Class A you see in our sig below.

So, you see we have been around the block so to speak with RVing and ultimately made the decision to come back to it once again... this time in a big way. The comfort of traveling in a MH can't be beat, having all of your "stuff" with you wherever you go. The MH now feels as much like home as the stick house does and we now think of it as a vacation home that we can take wherever we want to go. We have seen things here in Florida that I know we never would have seen if we hadn't been staying at out-of-the-way state parks and when we go to bed we don't have to wonder if the sheets are clean!

It's a shame that you had problems at the dealers - sometimes they act a bit too much like used car salesmen. You might think either about buying one through one of the internet sales outlets or even a nearly new used unit from an individual.

Bottom line - you have to decide what is good for you at this stage in your life. Good luck in deciding what is right for you!
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I would vote for the RV. Not only are reservations and schedules near as much of a problem but the people you meet--your fellow RV'rs are the best most help full and warmest folks you can meet!! Besides you find fewer bed bugs and lice in your own bed. Good luck with your choice.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

HI Woolfy,

Boy, you are asking a loaded question! I have a saying that I have to remind myself of some of the time. "If ya can't take a joke, they don't buy an RV". We have been motorhomeing for about 15 years, boating (Great Lakes) for 25 years before that. If I had all the money I have spent over those 30 years on boats and rv's---well you get the idea. It's not for everybody, but we love the lifestyle and are retiring in 30 days and off to Arizona for the winter. We sleep in our own bed every night, talk closes out of our own closet and cook meals in our own galley. And, oh yes, we use our own bathroom too! We have met some wonderful people on the road and have developed friendships that last to this day. Bad experiences at dealers? Problems with the coach? Yep---that's where the sense of humor comes in. If problems like things breaking and poor service from some dealers make you very upset, then the motels sound good. Good luck and best wishes with whatever you decide.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Woolfy:

First, thanks for coming to IRV2 to ask questions and share you thoughts with us.

Our case is similar to others...we started out camping when we were young, gave it up and did the motel thing whenever we traveled, then about 4 years ago started 'camping' again with our first motorhome. We have a dog that loves to travel with us so that figured heavily into our decision to go the RV route again. There are maintenance issues with an RV, for sure, but I don't mind fixing what I can. We bought both of our rigs gently used and our experience with a dealer was very good.

We love the RV for travel...it is not, IMO, less expensive than motels, etc., but far more fun and exciting. We have met some wonderfully nice and helpful folks along the way. For example, we arrived in an RV park once and I had some trouble getting my awning deployed...before I could get my ladder out of the storage compartment, three other RV'rs arrived, both with ladders, and we had the awning out and fixed in a matter of minutes. Now, you won't see that in any motel!!!
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

All you need to do is watch the "tell all" on one of the network news shows (sorry can't remember which network or show) about the absolute filthy rooms in ALL types of hotels/motels regardless of cost of the room and you would never even consider sleeping in one of their beds or touching the room telephone for sure.
The dirt in the MH is ours and we know how it got there and where it came from. Also the shuttling of bag and baggage in and out each night is the pits or how about when you want a snack and the vending machine eats your money. Hey the list goes on forever.
Granted the RV life isn't for everyone and if cost/money is the major reason for you then it probably is not for you. If time spent together relaxing and enjoying our beautiful country is then give RVing a shot.
As for problems with the RV itself I think in all fairness you must admit that problems can be had with most anything. Granted getting repairs is a hassle but even in your house you have repairs that require sitting all day waiting for the repair guy to show and hopefully fix your problem.
Sorry this is so long but we got back into RVing after an absolute miserable very expensive stay in a hotel/motel. Best thing we ever did.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woolfy:
Just wondering if anyone else has these thoughts when purchasing and RV. My wife and I spent the last year looking for the right RV and we found one the Itasca Spirit. It fit all our needs storage, space, quality inside and the way it drove. But we had problems at two dealerships. And we came to the conclusion that for the money you spend on these units and the problems you will have with a new unit it just simply not worth it to owns one. We value our selves more not to be put through the experience of RV ownership. Will stay in the motels and eat out when we travel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess this means that all your previous motel/hotel stays were always perfect. Lucky you, 'cause that hasn't always been that way for me.

There are a 1,000 reasons to own an RV and maybe none of them apply to you. We stay at motels sometimes but also have a MH for traveling too. One of my favorite campsites is 30' from the ocean beach. Can't get that in a motel in my area at any price...

And lastly, we have a Yorkie that is very much a family member and always goes with us... many motels wouldn't allow her to stay, so that's reason enough for us to own an RV.

I can tell you that the RV industry has grown many fold in the last 10-15 years, and camping sites are harder to come by along my coast line. The good news for me is that it looks you and I won't be competing for the same camping site, so I guess I should say 'thank-you'...

Thank you!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Just heard an interview with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and when asked about his RV ownership and travels he responded as follows: perhaps not the best choice from an economic perspective, but it is a great way to travel and you meet the best people in campgrounds.

We've had 5 MoHos over the last 30 years and traveled with our 4 children and now it is just the wife, Raggs the dog, and me. We love it and full-time now and think of this as an alternate life style. Having an RV enabled us to travel and have oceans, mountains, cities, or the country as our front yard. Nothing like always being at home when that home can be anywhere you like. Kids loved it and although you will have an occasional problem it has been worth it to us.

Once in awhile we are "forced" into a motel and I hate it. I like using my stuff and saying hello to my neighbors. It is a second/vacation home and you can have the tax advantage that may provide. Can't get that with hotels. It isn't for everybody but we've never looked back.

Nick, Journey '01