Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Is Full body paint cost worth it?

Can someone tell me if the cost of the full body paint is worth it?
When you include the protective front mask it exceeds $8K.
we're looking @ buying a 33C either Sightseer or Sunova and the dealer didn't think that the extra cost was worth the protection you get.
Any input from the forum would be appreciated before we decide what to do
Thanks
NCflyguy
ncflyguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I love full body paint...no decal issues. A good wax job will take care of any issues related to no mask.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Had decals, would try my hardest not to do them again.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When you have a decal fade and peel, you will know the difference and the value
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I'm sure you will get the full gamut of answers to this question, however, the truth will lie somewhere in the middle, I believe. "Value" is a perceived thing so only you can ascertain it's worth. Will a full body paint get it's $$ back, when resale is a factor all depends on the person that will be buying it, when it's time to get sold. I think it's fair to say that everyone knows that full body paint costs more, so I would imagine future buyers will be prepared for the cost difference as well. Doesn't mean that you won't be dealing with a person who's "not a fan", however.

If you like the looks of the painted coach over the unpainted one, then you're the one that needs to be answering this question. The "science" behind it being more or less of a protective coating can be debated until most of us are long past caring. Just being "nosey", but are you ordering a new unit or is this a question between side-by-side units already in stock, on the lot?

I will add this, though; I bet it would be quite a bit costlier to have the full body paint added at a later date. Based on what I've heard, most people are getting a much higher quote than 8k to have it done to their current coach.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I like the full body paint and think it is worth it, but to each his own.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

I like full body paint.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The value of FBP is realized while you own it. Whether or not it affects selling it is debatable, and matters not to me
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Mike View Post
I like full body paint.
X2 we love it, easy to take care of, I use 303 on the front cap and bugs are not a problem
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyguy69 View Post
Can someone tell me if the cost of the full body paint is worth it?
When you include the protective front mask it exceeds $8K.
we're looking @ buying a 33C either Sightseer or Sunova and the dealer didn't think that the extra cost was worth the protection you get.
Any input from the forum would be appreciated before we decide what to do
Thanks
NCflyguy
Yes

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

The "value" would be only that percieved by the owner. If you look at the NADA guides for years when full body paint was optional for the Adventurer there is no added value on resale. So if you're buying it with the intention of it having an impact on the resale price don't waste the money. If you're buying it because you prefer the look then you have to decide whether it's worth it to you.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

ncflyguy69,
Well, as you can see, the opinions vary. I'm one of those that takes care of his rig, bottom to top, front to back and, side to side. I have rubbed, polished and waxed 'till my shoulders, arms and hands have ached for days trying to either preserve or bring back a neglected, standard fiberglass sided coach. Sometimes I succeed. Many times, it's just a postponement of the inevitable.

So, my point, I'LL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER NON-FULL BODY PAINTED coach again!! The effort to take care of, wash and wax a full body painted coach is so much easier. The looks, to us, and so, so many people who come to us in camp grounds/RV parks and say is that rig "Brand new", says is all! And ours is an '04.

So, as others have stated, the value is up to you. Since you'll be paying the full price of such a luxury and enhancement, only you can determine if the value. As for "Resale value", I can tell you this, of all the folks we run with, in all types of camping/RVing, about 99% of them (especially the ones who maintain their rigs as I do) either have changed to or, are aiming at full body paint units.

Everyday I walk out to ours from the house or, even when camping, I tell myself, man, that rig sure looks nice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Years ago ... I think it was the 50's ... when there was an extra charge for two tone paint on a car ... my grandmother who was ulta conservative bought a very stylish two tone hardtop ford coupe ... when people asked her why she paid the extra money ... her answer was "I like the way it looks"

I always thought her cars were cool .. this one especially

Sooo ... if you like the way it looks and you can afford it ... buy it ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

All our previous C's and A's had gel coat and decals, never again. Too much work over the FBP to keep them looking half way decent.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

thanks

To everyone who has weighed in on this issue - I want to thank you for your opinions. I do value what is written in this forum. Yes, I can afford the FBP and I was trying to decide if everyone else had the same problem that I have had with a non FBP RV. We're in the process of selling our Carriage Cameo 5er and then buying a new or newer 33C. My experience with just a gel coated decal RV ( I really take good care of it) is that there no way that I can get the RV to shine like any of my cars. I've been told that the paint which Winnebago uses is the same as what's on Mercedes Benz.
Guess, a decision has been made - group vote seems to be the same as what I had thought - buy it if you can afford it and like the looks - also, why am I not spending the money that I have saved for the things that we (DW and I) want to do in lieu of my kids inheriting it. Problem is now solved !
Everyone have a great day and now, if we can get someone to give us a decent offer on our home so we can start traveling.
ncflyguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The "value" would be only that percieved by the owner. If you look at the NADA guides for years when full body paint was optional for the Adventurer there is no added value on resale. So if you're buying it with the intention of it having an impact on the resale price don't waste the money. If you're buying it because you prefer the look then you have to decide whether it's worth it to you.
Then you have not actually read the NADA guides correctly. For the 2006 model year Adventurer, it clearly states to add $4800 to the price of the unit for full body paint. You also have to take into account that most every higher end unit has FBP, and if your used on that you eventually sell does not have FBP, it looks like a lower end unit, making it harder to get top dollar.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2000 Adventurer with the gel coat and decals. It looked great until about 3 years ago. We are now having the inevitable decal issues & the gel coat just won't shine anymore like it used to. :( We are FTers and so our rig is out in the elements FT. Whenever we can afford it, we want to spring for FBP (Cha-Ching! $$,$$$). Had we had the option of FBP over decals at the time, we would have definitely gone for FBP!
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Fire Up has nailed it, so ditto here.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
Then you have not actually read the NADA guides correctly. For the 2006 model year Adventurer, it clearly states to add $4800 to the price of the unit for full body paint. You also have to take into account that most every higher end unit has FBP, and if your used on that you eventually sell does not have FBP, it looks like a lower end unit, making it harder to get top dollar.

I stand corrected. I tried adding only full body paint as an option 6 times and it never changed the total price. Then I tried adding a bunch of other options with the same result - no change in total price.

I went back again after your post and tried again. Low and behold it added $3315.00 to the low retail price and $3995.00 to the high retail price of a 2006 Adventurer 33V
Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Forty years of fiberglass experience, repair, manufacture and refurbishing, I can speak with authority. There is no gelcoat that will stand up to UV rays over a long period of time. They will chalk and the surface will break down. I wouldn't buy a coach without FBP and clear coat. Paint coatings are so far advanced compared to gelcoats. We have a customer that requires a gelcoat finish on its products, and even with premium UV resistant gelcoats, they still chalk. It doesn't mean it's not serviceable, just cosmetically less than desirable. Most high end boats and yachts now days are painted with polyurethanes. My vote is for FBP, you'll be happier a lot longer!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint