Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Intro to Winnebago forum

Jim and Shirley Barrett from Whidbey Island, WA. We will be heading out to Lichtsinn in a few weeks to pick up our new 2010 View 24A. We are pretty excited as this is our first motorhome. Been reading this forum for the past week or so...looks like the majority of owners have A motorhomes.
Getting back to our upcoming trip...I am a bit "anxious" about driving back to Whidbey Island during the early part of November...hoping for some decent weather otherwise I will just head south
I am retired but my wife still has her job...someone has to pay the bills!

Kind regards,

Jim and Shirley
Soon to be 2010 View 24A owners
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Jim:

Welcome to the forum's Winnebago Owners forum . You will not find a more friendly or helpful group of folks anywhere on the web. Congrats on the new View. The folks at Lichstinn have a great reputation and have been very helpful to many of us here.

Hope you have a safe and wonderful trip home in the new rig. Come back often and share your rv experiences with us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jim & Shirley;

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchase of a new View. I believe you will be happy with your new View and your dealer. Lichtsinn has an excellent reputation here. Many of us purchase parts from them as well. Post often and share your new travel experiences with us.

When the time comes you wish to have some Winnebago Karma we would be happy to help you with that if you ask.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Jim and Shirley, glad you came to iRV2. Hope you enjoy the Winnie and let us hear from you.

Ken
Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Congrats,
Just 1 suggestion, please drive your view like the diesel it is, and not a gasser. We have some friends that got a view and did not follow the warmup and cooldown for theturbo on their first outing and had to have major engine repairs. That turned them off and the coach spends more time in thier driveway than on the road now.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am unaware of the procedure for warm-up and cool-down of the turbo...can you enlighten me?

Kind regards,

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
I am unaware of the procedure for warm-up and cool-down of the turbo...can you enlighten me?

Kind regards,

Jim
I do not have the knowledge specific to the View but I had a diesel fuel truck with a turbo. I always let the engine warm up at idle for some time to enable proper circulation of oil through the turbo before the engine was revved up and put under load. When coming in off the highway I always let the engine idle for a few minutes to allow the turbo to spin down in RPMs before I shut down the engine. This keeps oil pressure feed to the turbo while it is spinning down. Hopefully you will get some more input on your question as I am no expert.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

As Don has noted, it is suggested that you let a diesel warm up a bit at idle before you put a lot of load on the engine/turbo. Also, since the turbo recirculates hot exhaust gas, the oil circulating thru the bearings in the turbo deals with a lot of heat. It is suggested that you let a diesel idle a bit to cool after a run, especially after a hard pull, before you shut it down.

I suspect there will be instructions in the engine manual that comes with the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hello Jim and Shirley,

I know I speak for all the RV community when I say WELCOME! It's a big step and it can be a little scary. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do a lot of listening. Read this forum and use it for gaining useful information.

As far as advice, use the power of 3's. I try never to drive more than 300 miles per day, be at my destination by 3 pm and take plenty of 30 minute rest stops during the day. I have never driven my coach after dark, because I didn't want to be maneuvering a rig into a campsite and trying to set up in the dark.

Walk around the coach before you depart and then do it again. The campgrounds are full of broken antennas and slide-outs. It's simple to do if you get distracted while preparing to dis-embark. Also, check that tow vehicle to make sure it's not in PARK. An error I made in GA. Luckily, not one that damaged the vehicle.

Remember, Safety is no accident!

Hope this helps.

Phil
Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Welcome and congrats on your new rig. Enjoy it and have years of safe and happy travels.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The View is a great rig. As for this forum, the trick is to master the "Search" feature. It's the quickest way to get insight into specific issues. However, there's no such thing as a stupid question (except some of the ones I've posted now and then). Welcome aboard.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote