Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Intent handling issues

Does anyone know if the factory addressed the handling issues on the 26M and 28Y Intents? And, has this problem been fixed on the 2020 and 2021 Intents?
Also, is ONE air conditioner going to handle a 28Y? Also, on the long overhang
issue, has anyone knocked off the generator exhaust on the back of the coach?
Or damaged it, due to its placement?
MRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRogers View Post
Does anyone know if the factory addressed the handling issues on the 26M and 28Y Intents? And, has this problem been fixed on the 2020 and 2021 Intents?
Go to: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...es-353677.html

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/I f263/for-all-intents-and-purposes-353677.html

You will find these issues you have asked with some answers. Big thread, but search and you will find.

Handling? See my list below.
Generator tail pipe, can be turned towards the back and that has helped. I have a 5" wheel connected to hitch that does the same.

As you can see in my info, I have a 26M. One AC does ok in Arizona temps of 100. Don't know about the 28.

Hope this helps,
Blessings...
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Rear Onan exhaust issue

Quote:
I can’t imagine that FORD has fixed their handling, because these stripped chassis are sold to UPS and everyone else who doesn’t need them. And as for Winnebago, I doubt they’ll do it because it would cost to much.

They leave it up to us.

As for the rear Onan exhaust, it’s already knocked my rear end cap off twice, before I relocated it to the rear.

It’s in this video I did, if you want to watch it...
https://vimeo.com/410839961
Old 05-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You will find most of us have added quite a few aftermarket parts to improve the handling. Start with the CHF (see intent thread) and add more parts as needed.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Intent Onan exhaust issue

Quote:
Ok, I located the thread where we discussed the rear end cap/ generator exhaust issue...

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3858036
Old 05-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The 26M (16k chassis) sits on a 158" wheelbase and measures 322" in length. Length divided into wheelbase = .490. That is what my coach calculates to as well and mine is majorly affected by wind and the air pressure from passing large trucks and buses. Mine has added swaybars front and rear, steering stabilizer, f&r track bars, Kelderman suspension with air bags one at each corner, koni shocks etc. These are all band-aids in my opinion. I believe the effect of wind and air pressure of course are part of driving a larger vehicle. However due to the poor overall length to wheel base ratio and poor weight distribution the influence of wind and air pressure is magnified to a point where, if windy, I tire quickly. My front caries less than 1/3 of overall weight when empty with no way to significantly impact that once loaded. Mine has been to 4 heavy duty truck front end alignment centers. It has been an education. Due to the stress, time and money I have spent, if I could do it over I would not make the purchase. Instead I would pay close attention to the overall length to wheel base ratio. If you have the luxury, rent what you are considering purchasing and take it out for a week. The 28Y calculates only slightly better .515. I hope this helps.
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by f53Challenge View Post
The 26M (16k chassis) sits on a 158" wheelbase and measures 322" in length. Length divided into wheelbase = .490. That is what my coach calculates to as well and mine is majorly affected by wind and the air pressure from passing large trucks and buses. Mine has added swaybars front and rear, steering stabilizer, f&r track bars, Kelderman suspension with air bags one at each corner, koni shocks etc. These are all band-aids in my opinion. I believe the effect of wind and air pressure of course are part of driving a larger vehicle. However due to the poor overall length to wheel base ratio and poor weight distribution the influence of wind and air pressure is magnified to a point where, if windy, I tire quickly. My front caries less than 1/3 of overall weight when empty with no way to significantly impact that once loaded. Mine has been to 4 heavy duty truck front end alignment centers. It has been an education. Due to the stress, time and money I have spent, if I could do it over I would not make the purchase. Instead I would pay close attention to the overall length to wheel base ratio. If you have the luxury, rent what you are considering purchasing and take it out for a week. The 28Y calculates only slightly better .515. I hope this helps.
What do you consider a "good" wheelbase to length ratio? My 31P has a wheelbase of 208" and length of 372" for a ratio of .559 and in my short trips of 90 minutes or so, habe not been fatigued. Will know more as I drive across the country in early June.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
What do you consider a "good" wheelbase to length ratio? My 31P has a wheelbase of 208" and length of 372" for a ratio of .559 and in my short trips of 90 minutes or so, habe not been fatigued. Will know more as I drive across the country in early June.
I’ve read a lot about this hotly debated topic. Seems like this measurement, often to be described as ideal around .50, is only one factor, while the type of suspension, weight distribution and so forth matter as much or more.

Also, at the higher numbers, there’s a trade-off with maneuverability.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post

I consider yours good, maybe very good. Another piece of the puzzle, in my opinion, is the ratio of weight carried on the front axle. One of the fine coach builders (Western RV, sadly out of business) with a very good reputation for building great handling coaches places 40% of overall weight on the front axle.
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote