Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Insulate Doghouse

I'd like to add insulation to the doghouse in our RV, any recommendations or works of advise? I want it to insulate against heat as well as deaden the engine noise. Is there an easy to apply product that will do both, withstand the heat generated by the engine and still be affordable? (Don't want to spend more than about $100) Thanks...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Gotta-P
Do a search "insulation". There was a lot of really good info on the forum some time ago with excelent pictures etc.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

About the best I have found is a product sold by J.C. Whitney. They have two different products. One is a heavy stick on panel that is about 1/8" thick that is a true sound deadner. The other is a 3/8" thick fiber pad with a reinforced foil backing.

For the class C we had, I used the 3/8" fiber pad. Buy the high temp spray adhesive from them and some of the foil tape to seal the edges. Cur and fit on the underside of the engine cover and then seal the edges with the tape. If did a wonderful job on the heat and did help the engine noise a bit.

If you want to really get the engine noise, you will need to pull up the carpet on the whole front area and put down a sound deadening material there plus up on tthe fire wall.

I would not waste my time on the bubble insulation sold by Camping World for this application.

Ken
Old 09-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Gotta_P,

I used Dyna-mat from either Jeg's or Summit Speed Shops. It's a stick on product that is .062" or so thick with a silver heat reflection covering. I used it from the windshield back to the back of the engine cover. On the engine cover I used a stick on 3/4" foam product. Both did a great job with noise and heat. It reduced the clutch fan noise a lot. It has stayed in place for 3 years now and is very easy to install. I think I had a little over $200 in it and about 3 hours labor with one person helping.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

On Our Old Southwind I tried all the commonly available insulation / sound deadening materials with some success but the single most effective thing was a sheet of galvanized Steel that I installed to act as an inner Dog House Lid.
The Insulation by itself just did not do the trick, but that extra layer of metal cut out 90% of the Engine noise and Heat!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
On Our Old Southwind I tried all the commonly available insulation / sound deadening materials with some success but the single most effective thing was a sheet of galvanized Steel that I installed to act as an inner Dog House Lid.
The Insulation by itself just did not do the trick, but that extra layer of metal cut out 90% of the Engine noise and Heat!
Agree with RobRV...
We did a similar galvanized liner on an auxillary generator for a rescue truck... Used heat resistant 3M brand expanding foam injected between the galvanized liner and the original cover for additional insulation/sound deadening. (You could also use heat resistant fiberglass batting.)

Be careful that you don't interfere with any air-cooling schemes... doubt that will be an issue on the water-cooled engine on your rig.

Also, maintain clearance with any engine parts because the vibration from the doghouse liner contacting the engine would cause quite a racket.
Best of luck,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, any other Brand names I should be searching for other than Dyna-Mat? I know there's got to be other options!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

3M spray adhesive did a good job for me. As others have suggested do a search for insulating doghouse and you will get lots of good info. On a 99 Winnie with a Ford V10 I even put a piece of insulation under the floor mat. Simple fix. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I used these three products with very good results...

Dynamat #11905 The Hoodliner
DYNAMAT #10425 XTREME WEDGE PACK
DYNAMAT #13100 Dynatape Aluminum Finishing Tape

Sound proofing first then the Hoodliner. I cleaned all surfaces with acetone first. There was enough hood liner to do all of the fiberglass area under the dog house.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote