Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 09:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Info Wanted RE: 2007 Vectra 40FD - Potential Purchase!

Hi!
We are considering buying a very gently used Vectra 40FD from friends.
Never owned up north.
Diesel. Under 20K Miles.
We have never owned a Winnebago.
We are graduating from a Class C Diesel because I need Air Ride.
What do we need to know?
Is this a good MH?
My friends bought it a year ago. Had a professional RV inspector go through it and bought a bumper to bumper warranty that has 2 years left and $100 deductible. No flood history or damage/accident record.
Price is being contemplated is in the $125-130K range.
TIA for any info!
wsantelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome. I’m sure you’ll see some folks with experience with this model chime in soon. But here’s some things to keep in mind.

1. It’s 15 yrs old
2. Your friends only know about the last year with it. So a previous owner had it, used it, repaired it, modified it for ~14 yrs. are there service records?
3. Low miles is not always a plus on a 15 yr old diesel motorhome
4. There is no such thing as a “bumper to bumper warranty” for a used motorhome. There are extended service contract insurance policies but none cover everything “bumper to bumper” and all of them have specific exclusions.

It may be great and in great shape but keep a realistic mindset about what this is and not just think about the friends that have little experience with it and have painted such a pretty picture about the RV.

Best of luck!
Old 02-18-2022, 09:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

@Creativepart

Thank you. We had a same year class C diesel with low miles so we are going in eyes wide open. Our friends have been living in it full time for the last 9 mos and have taken care of many issues. They are sticklers for maintenance. We know there will always be something with a vehicle that experiences an earthquake every time it moves. I feel good that they had a professional RV inspector go through it initially and addressed those concerns. I’m pretty sure they must’ve had it mechanically checked as well but we will for sure. My husband is very mechanically inclined so I feel we have most of the bases covered. As much as we can under the circumstances. We are doing a home swap and are going to get to take it out for a month before finalizing our purchase so that should also uncover anything major.
wsantelope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase