Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Importing travel trailer from fl to canada.

I am selling our 2017 Micro Minnie 2106FBS privately here in FL. Love the trailer, but we are in the middle of building a new house and don't have plans to use the trailer for some time.

My question is: A Canadian resident want to purchase the trailer from us and then take it back to Canada where it will stay. Can someone please tell me what procedure should be used to make this happen? I have a clear FL Title and the trailer has FL registration through December 2020 in my name.

Can I leave my FL registration plate on the trailer, provide the new Canadian owner with a Bill of Sale and signed Title? Will that be sufficient for the new owner to get it to and into Ontario?

I figure that this situation comes up all the time, but the on-line information that I can find is confusing at best so I thought someone here could help me out.

Thanks
TinBoat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can not help directly, other to say, to me it sound like you need to really call and talk to someone. I would call the Canada folks first, then the Florida folks.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's not that simple, and moreso because it's used.
The Canadian buyer will have to do some homework, before considering buying it to import. I did it a few years back and it's not a simple process. I bought brand new from a dealer in western Michigan.
The potential buyer can start here to see if the trailer is even admissable to Canada.

https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When it comes to cross-border vehicles and importing, the easiest way is "The Swap".

When a friend wanted to buy a camper being sold across the border in Canada, he was fortunate enough to have an much older one of the same make and approximate size. He turned the old one into a deer lease trailer, and then used his tags and title for the newer one. No one was the wiser. Of course if he ever decides to sell it, he's gonna' have some 'splainin' to do!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Going from the US to Canada, "the swap" won't work. Can't get it plated/tags up here without a physical inspection, during which time a government sponsored inspector has to verify the serial number and recall notice letters, and a bunch of other stuff. If anything doesn't seem right, if a safety feature is missing, or any recalls haven't been completed, back to the US it goes. Can't pull it around up here without a vehicle permit and license plate.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Since its Canadian built trailer that was purchased in Canada before coming to USA it should be a lot simpler. Perhaps a quick trip to Canada with you in the vehicle towing it back, once across the border transfer and fly back to FL. Lots of cheap flights from Toronto or Buffalo NY to Orlando etc etc.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Since its Canadian built trailer that was purchased in Canada before coming to USA it should be a lot simpler. Perhaps a quick trip to Canada with you in the vehicle towing it back, once across the border transfer and fly back to FL. Lots of cheap flights from Toronto or Buffalo NY to Orlando etc etc.
When did Winnebago start building trailers in Canada?
Once again, importing a vehicle (in this case, a travel trailer)into Canada is more complex that that, I know, because I've done it. You play by the Canadian rules, and you can't transfer it in Canada unless it passes all the preliminary inspections, recall status verifications, and is on the list of imprtable vehicles at the RIV. That requires simple but stringent government inspections. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
When did Winnebago start building trailers in Canada?
Once again, importing a vehicle (in this case, a travel trailer)into Canada is more complex that that, I know, because I've done it. You play by the Canadian rules, and you can't transfer it in Canada unless it passes all the preliminary inspections, recall status verification, and is on the list of importable vehicles at the RIV. That requires simple but stringent government inspections. No ifs, ands, or buts.
WinterbagoAl good catch. I thought I read that the trailer came down from Canada therefore the assumption that it was Canada ready! Ah well. Bago does sell up into Canada.

Having lived in a border state in the past, used vehicles were driven to the US, then we went to the DMV and transferred and plated the vehicle. Now that was like 40 to 50 yrs ago urp but that is how I got a couple of vehicles. One was a recent issue (at the time) Honda which happened to be purchased in US then taken to Canada and I bought it from the Canadian owner early fall as he did not like that it took too long to warm up. I got it and found that to be an issue as well, so I put a timer driven block heater (increased my mpg bigly) as a bonus.

So when I misconstrued that the trailer came from Canada to FL I figured it would be easy to take it back and transfer. No duty err tariff issue either.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have imported 2 new motorized RVs into Canada from the US. A vehicle is more complex than a trailer as additional info is required. Call Canadian Customs and ask what is required. For an RV, the inspection is done by Canadian Tire and they verify that the VIN is correct, check for DRLs and operative lights and that is about it. It was a 5 minute job. Suspect on an older trailer, they would verify serial number and check the general condition. You might want to also ask at a CTC store if they do trailer inspections and what they check. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, travel