Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
That's the "Decoliner". It was on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage show a couple of years ago.

The Decoliner is a Randy Grubb Blastolene handmade Airstream travel trailer

I love the videos taken from the upper deck driver's seat.
That was way cool! Thanks for sharing.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
... If RV's were assembled to either of those standards and validated by the FAA or the FDA failures would be few and far between.
..and would cost ten times as much as they do.

There has to be some kind of middle ground.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #43
Winnie-Wise

I agree that all brands have issues. The question is, what issues do you have? If the fridge fails, it’s probably not Winnebago’s fault. If a water line is kinked during installation, it is a quality control issue, but also and relatively easy DIY fix.
I can only attest that a simple rig makes for happier camping. The less mechanical/automatic/moving parts, the better. Things I see now such as the whole kitchen being in a slide, makes me RUN the other way. It may be fine at first, but if you are going to have a serious issue, it will likely be related to something like that.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #44
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackspot1 View Post
If airplanes were built like motorhomes those of us who flew would no longer be on this side of the earth. It is shocking to see how many constant problem issues we have with our coaches. It does not matter who the manufacturer is, we all have issues. It is almost as if we all have become numb and just expect them. With legitimate quality construction, care for customers, pride of company and quality control there truly would be improvement. We love traveling and being in our coach but really is there not a company out there who does it right? We are Winnebago Product Class A owners and are going on 76 issues on a new off the lot coach. Please do not ask me to list them. It would take an hour or more to write them up and explain the problems.
Interesting post, read through all the responses before deciding to throw my own two bits in too!

I've only owned four RV's - two tent trailers (and very pleased to have THAT phase of my life out of the way!) and two travel trailers. The first was a 2006 Fleetwood Pioneer 18K. It was one of the least expensive on the market, and clearly an entry level trailer, but we never had any problems to speak of, other than a quirky fridge. After the kids had grown up, we traded it last year for a Black Rock 19B. We chose carefully, and with a view to long term trouble free ownership. For not much difference in new price to the previous trailer, the build quality is enormously superior - once you know what you're looking at. How trouble free it will be has still to be proven, but if design and materials are anything to go by, it should be good.

We chose not to get a model with a slide, as we wanted to avoid that as a potential source of problem for failure and leakage. We did decide to get a power awning and power tongue, because both have a backup in case of failure, and we really like the convenience. A trade off, but a safe one, for us. And this seems to be the nub of things. A Fifth Wheel could be expected to have more issues than a TT, and a motorhome more again, because of increasing complexity. And as they age, we can expect the problems to increase. I once owned a 1990 Caddillac Fleetwood, which I purchased used in 2000. It was a gorgeous car, but it cost me a small fortune to keep on the road! The previous owners were, shall we say, thrifty when it came to maintenance.

It's indeed irritating to buy some expensive, and still have a list of deficiencies to work through. But from what I can see, Winnebago generally make a good product, and if you patiently work through the issues, you'll probably end up being a happy camper. Long term, maintenance is the key. If there's one thing I have learned from this forum, if you look after your RV, it will look after for you.....

Good luck,

Nick B
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackspot1 View Post
If airplanes were built like motorhomes those of us who flew would no longer be on this side of the earth. It is shocking to see how many constant problem issues we have with our coaches. It does not matter who the manufacturer is, we all have issues. It is almost as if we all have become numb and just expect them. With legitimate quality construction, care for customers, pride of company and quality control there truly would be improvement. We love traveling and being in our coach but really is there not a company out there who does it right? We are Winnebago Product Class A owners and are going on 76 issues on a new off the lot coach. Please do not ask me to list them. It would take an hour or more to write them up and explain the problems.
If only Japan could see the market in the MOTORHOME sales in the USA we might get something
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Japan is too expensive. Maybe Korea? They seem to have a handle on building quality now.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
hmmm...

and what would be the cost of the motorhome built like an airplane?
Would be a LOT less RV's on the road due to cost. A very aggressive quality control program is NOT CHEAP.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

USA has shown that they can make autos that compete very well with foreign competition. The problems in the RV industry are not with the workforce that puts these things together. The problem is management that is more concerned with production numbers and the bottom line. Quality and bottom line profits can coexist together. When some manufacturer decides that quality is more than a slogan, customers will follow. No one wanted to buy a foreign car, what they wanted is a car that worked. Japan was taught quality by the USA. We consumers in the RV market need to be relentless in our expectation of a product that is dependable and meets our needs. It's a simple concept but the mindset needs to change from build it to build it right. I do believe that some manufacturers in the RV industry are better than others and time will tell how they fair.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #49
Winnie-Wise

Wonder if they increased the QC if the order time for a coach would go up or down?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #50
Winnebago Camper

I think where many of us and lots of new buyer are making their mistakes is that we "assume" (that can get you in trouble) that a new piece of equipment will be perfect or at least close.

I owned two previous RV's. both with no issues. So I figure to find new one that looks good, has the floor plan that the DW likes- the drive train I like and all is good.

That's just not true in today's market. Some companies today seem to be using lesser quality and time in assembly and the end result is showing up in down time on these units.

So my suggestion to all is do your homework. Hopefully there is something out there that will hold up for you.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #51
Winnebago Owner

We purchased our second MH back in 1999. It was a Dutch Star by Newmar. We were not planning on buying one but you know how that goes. It was the OK dealers first DS and a show model that they really wanted to sell. The salesman worked with us and we made the deal. We had absolutely no problems with the coach and the only major problem we had was the Chassis differential started making a lot of noise. Ford replaced it.
Back in 1999 the salesman told me this story one day. He had been in the RV business for a number of years and had visited most of the factories. He went to IN on many visits and came up with the following conclusion,

"It appears all you have to do is throw up a couple of pole barns, hire a few workers, order your parts and supplies and you are in the travel trailer business."

That's probably not to far off with some of the companies. We've had three TT's and three MH's and we will never, never have another TT.

TeJay
Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #52
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
USA has shown that they can make autos that compete very well with foreign competition. The problems in the RV industry are not with the workforce that puts these things together. The problem is management that is more concerned with production numbers and the bottom line. Quality and bottom line profits can coexist together. When some manufacturer decides that quality is more than a slogan, customers will follow. No one wanted to buy a foreign car, what they wanted is a car that worked. Japan was taught quality by the USA. We consumers in the RV market need to be relentless in our expectation of a product that is dependable and meets our needs. It's a simple concept but the mindset needs to change from build it to build it right. I do believe that some manufacturers in the RV industry are better than others and time will tell how they fair.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
I agree the quality of North American cars have improved but wonder if we are fully paying for the car in the showroom. When the downturn hit and GM and Chrysler got bailed out who much extra did we pay for each car through the bailout?

Joke around here was GM meant Government Motors.

Quality is a properly managed motivated work force.

Tags
motorhome