Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Ideal Rest mattress dilemma

Hey All,
We have a Winnebago Tour 42qd, with the Ideal Rest air mattress, and are having issues with one side of the bed deflating, and have already lost one of our controllers, the wires were accidentally pulled out. We would love to replace this mattress, buy are worried about another mattress being a good fit, and being flexible enough to fold up when the head has to be raised for slides to come in.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Slleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Site Team

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3860181

I answered you questions at your other post on the 2-year old thread. Link is above.

Just so you know - you can buy replacement parts from InnoMax online just in case that's how you wish to go. InnoMax made the Ideal Rest. They used to list them on their website, but now they have new names. But if you contact them they know exactly what you'd need and seem to have them in stock.

https://www.innomax.com/product-cate...acement-parts2

Also, the cable between the controller and the air pump is a standard Ethernet Cat 5 cable and can be repaired.

But we certainly understand if you don't want to repair but replace.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We ordered from Mattress Insider - had them sew a hinge across the mattress to allow it to easily bend/fold and make radius corners on the bottom. We ordered the firmest they have - added a thin topper and have really enjoyed it.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
We ordered from Mattress Insider - had them sew a hinge across the mattress to allow it to easily bend/fold and make radius corners on the bottom. We ordered the firmest they have - added a thin topper and have really enjoyed it.
Thanks for the info! Do you have Mattress Insider contact info? Do you mind if I ask the price?
Slleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The price was somewhere around $650 - their website is http://mattressinsider.com. They've done about 5 - 6 of these that I know of so should be a fairly routine order now. Be prepared with your desired measurements including the distance from head of mattress to the 'seam.'
Old 05-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago owner

I had that problem with my 2015 Suncruiser 38Q, Air up to 50 before using the bed, and by morning it would be anywhere from 30 to 47 (no reason for different readings). I replaced the barrel cam locks without getting any improvement.

I found a guy in Missouri who sells his own fix for these Barrel cam's. Before spending thousands (maybe hundreds) for a different mattress that works I tried his fix. I replaced the Barrel Cams with the parts he sells and haven't had a problem since (fingers crossed). My leaks began in January when I started Snow-birding for the spring, and I replace the Cam locks only a few weeks ago with my RV parked at home (not in use), and the beds are holding air now, when they wouldn't before. I'll put the link here to his page, I'm not recommending this as a solution for your problem, but if your problem is like mine, I can say that it worked for me. You can also call this guy (he seemed rude or nonchalant to me and I felt as if he didn't have time to tell me why his solutions would work, but I purchased anyway because they aren't that expensive to try first), and he will discuss it with you. There also is a repair video at this link.

https://airbedrepair.com/products/re...th-broken-port

Jim
Old 05-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Not sure exactly how your deal folds up, but this might work for you. We switched to a trifold (like a flip bed, sort of) memory foam mattress with a nice bamboo cover. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It was only a couple of hundred bucks, and it's INCREDIBLY comfy.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We also have an Ideal Rest which leaked. I found the leak to be at the point the hose connects to the pump (housed under the bed). That is, the mattress seems to be fine. Having "fixed" this once, when the problem recurred I decided to replace the pump - which I never liked anyway. It was noisy, slow and the remotes' wires were always in the way.
My S&B bed is an older Sleep Number on which the pump died some years ago. I replaced it with an REM Air System (see link below) with a wireless remote. This has worked so well that I purchased another for the coach.
The ideal Rest and Sleep Number hoses are different sizes so I found a way to couple them at my local hardware store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	BedPump.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	173439

Name:	BedHose.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	173440
Old 05-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

New pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellOnWheels View Post
We also have an Ideal Rest which leaked. I found the leak to be at the point the hose connects to the pump (housed under the bed). That is, the mattress seems to be fine. Having "fixed" this once, when the problem recurred I decided to replace the pump - which I never liked anyway. It was noisy, slow and the remotes' wires were always in the way.
My S&B bed is an older Sleep Number on which the pump died some years ago. I replaced it with an REM Air System (see link below) with a wireless remote. This has worked so well that I purchased another for the coach.
The ideal Rest and Sleep Number hoses are different sizes so I found a way to couple them at my local hardware store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment 173439

Attachment 173440
Tell us more about the new pump. How much more quiet and reliable. Our ideal rest is really hard to control. Lots of button pushing to inflate, numbers don’t keep up during inflation or deflation, and it is sooooo noisy.
Magnum108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum108 View Post
Tell us more about the new pump. How much more quiet and reliable. Our ideal rest is really hard to control. Lots of button pushing to inflate, numbers don’t keep up during inflation or deflation, and it is sooooo noisy.
This pump is MUCH quieter. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the loudness of the Ideal Rest pump! And more of a hum rather than the diesel in need of a tune-up sound the Ideal Rest makes.
It appears to be quite reliable. There can be changes in pressure readings in your air bed due to temperature changes and bed position (we must raise ours to travel). But once you know your "Sleep Number" just program it into the remote and press the memory button! Like Sleep Number, the scale is 0-100 rather than 0-50 Ideal Rest uses.
The remote is, to me, easy to use. Press any key on the remote to wake it up. Then press an arrow key ONCE (don't hold it down) to raise or lower the pressure and press it again when the desired pressure has been reached. When you FIRST inflate the bed after it has been totally deflated, it will take a while for numbers to register on the remote. But once inflated changes occur pretty quickly.
One concern with wireless remotes is misplacement of the remote. I've attached ours to the wall next to the bed (see pic) and I ALWAYS replace it after each use. But wired models are also available if you prefer wired remotes.
Ideal Rest uses a 1/2" inside diameter (id) hose and Sleep Number and REM Systems use 3/8" id hoses. My local hardware store had everything I needed to adapt the pump to my bed. FOR EACH SIDE I purchased about 12" of 3/8" id hose (total 24" and probably more than necessary), the connectors to couple the two hoses (two sets) and a two 1" pipe clamps (total 4). An Amazon reviewer, JGlewwe, was able to couple the hoses with fewer fittings than me (take a look at his Amazon review). My hardware store didn't have the exact fittings so the store assistant was able to collect the fittings I needed. Assembly was simple.
I am very pleased with the REM Air Systems pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REMSleepSystemRemoteOn.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	173468   Click image for larger version

Name:	REMSleepSystemRemoteOff.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	173469