Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I was saying it is nice to know I can pass disel trucks on the steeper grades so I don't have to sit there and breath the exhaust, but I normally don't go over 60, as it is the diesel pushes that blow by me going as fast as 80. I am just not brave enough to take something so big so fast.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
We were on a caravan Up through Alaska A hole lot of Motorhomes; The most Boring part of the caravan was waiting on top of the hill for the V10 Fords . Then; at the filling station we would compare mileage. Whoo. The fords were consistant all right 7.5 to 8.5 MPG . when the diesel Rigs 15000 lbs more weight then the gas, Rigs, were Racking up 9.5 average. I let a lot of gas rigs pass me , as I feel I just do a good deed once in a while. It makes someone feel good and they can tell everyone .. I PASSED A DIESEL.. HA HA;;If gas was more power full in pulling the 70,000 + trucks; Truckers would be running them.. I only state the facts,, Life is good. When a 440 CI gas has 300 Footlbs, torque; And the C7 cat (435) CI has 800 Foot lbs torque .. Which one will get you up a hill quicker ???
LOOK OUT! THE DIESELS ARE COMING!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Jeeper View Post
I was saying it is nice to know I can pass disel trucks on the steeper grades so I don't have to sit there and breath the exhaust, but I normally don't go over 60, as it is the diesel pushes that blow by me going as fast as 80. I am just not brave enough to take something so big so fast.
Peak horsepower for your V-10 is 362 @ 4750 RPM and there is no reason not to use it when climbing grades. It may get noisey in the cab but its better than lugging and possibly overheating the engine.
I can almost gurantee you running at 70mph your milage will drop to 5mpg in a heartbeat.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #24

Lets not get all excited and put down when the facts are posted. Torque gets you up the hill. If a diesel puts out 900 ft lbs the gas puts out 400 ft lbs;; Which will get you up the hill faster ????
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Lets not get all excited and put down when the facts are posted. Torque gets you up the hill. If a diesel puts out 900 ft lbs the gas puts out 400 ft lbs;; Which will get you up the hill faster ????
Do you really believe that comparing 435 HP to 362 HP is a reasonable thing to do?
The OP stated how impressed he was with the performance of his V10. What has that got to do with the performance of a diesel ?
I believe your stated facts are you got up the hills faster and used less fuel, and you should or you have a major problem.
If the intention is argue, this is as far as I will go.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Peak horsepower for your V-10 is 362 @ 4750 RPM and there is no reason not to use it when climbing grades. It may get noisy in the cab but its better than lugging and possibly overheating the engine.
I can almost grantee you running at 70mph your mileage will drop to 5mpg in a heartbeat.
That is one reason I never do 70, that and I wouldn't feel comfortable at that speed, besides I thought the idea was to enjoy the trip.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Jeeper View Post
That is one reason I never do 70, that and I wouldn't feel comfortable at that speed, besides I thought the idea was to enjoy the trip.
Congrats; You have a better understanding than many.
" A mans' got to know his limitations" and that of his RV.
Safe travels
Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Having owned both DP and gas, currently have a V10. I think what the OP was trying to say was he was happy he had enough power to pass slow moving vehicles on the steep hills. I find the V10 to be a very good setup, now does that mean it is better than a DP, NO. Is a DP no better, NO. It is like is a Chevy better than a Prius, NO. They are very different vehicles and it is the owners preference as to which they like, and we should not try to change them to our interests. We each drive what we drive for various reasons. I personally am very happy with our choices in MH, cars, and bikes. But that is not what others want or have to have.

Thank God for America, in a lot of other countries we could not have this discussion.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
Having owned both DP and gas, currently have a V10. I think what the OP was trying to say was he was happy he had enough power to pass slow moving vehicles on the steep hills. I find the V10 to be a very good setup, now does that mean it is better than a DP, NO. Is a DP no better, NO. It is like is a Chevy better than a Prius, NO. They are very different vehicles and it is the owners preference as to which they like, and we should not try to change them to our interests. We each drive what we drive for various reasons. I personally am very happy with our choices in MH, cars, and bikes. But that is not what others want or have to have.

Thank God for America, in a lot of other countries we could not have this discussion.
Bravo, well said. I agree with all of it.I am on my second MH with the Ford v10 and have logged 80,000 miles, been in all 49 No. American states and all 10 Canadian Provinces and the Yukon Terr.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
Having owned both DP and gas, currently have a V10. I think what the OP was trying to say was he was happy he had enough power to pass slow moving vehicles on the steep hills. I find the V10 to be a very good setup, now does that mean it is better than a DP, NO. Is a DP no better, NO. It is like is a Chevy better than a Prius, ...

What if I had a Ford pulling a Prius.... would I win?
Between the two of these I get 25 MPG!!

Sorry, on topic.... and it pulls great!!

Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Should I slow down and quit passing those high HP, RPM gas powered MH's with lower torque? After they had passed me waving at the bottom of that 6% 4 mile long hill.

And I usually catch them a little over 1/2 way up using only 2,100 to 2,200 RPM of my available 2,800. And I may be in 4th or 5th gear. It will pull it in either gear. It will also do it in 6th, but gets a little warm in that gear near the top.

I only have a little 275 HP 5.9L and 660 ft lb torque.
Hummmm! Less HP and less Cu inch. But Torque Rules.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Let me count the ways I will be spending the $ 50,000 I saved on my gasser.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Should I slow down and quit passing those high HP, RPM gas powered MH's with lower torque? After they had passed me waving at the bottom of that 6% 4 mile long hill.

And I usually catch them a little over 1/2 way up using only 2,100 to 2,200 RPM of my available 2,800. And I may be in 4th or 5th gear. It will pull it in either gear. It will also do it in 6th, but gets a little warm in that gear near the top.

I only have a little 275 HP 5.9L and 660 ft lb torque.
Hummmm! Less HP and less Cu inch. But Torque Rules.
ok i'll play too since you want to hijack the thread. Banks claim an 85 HP gaine for your engine. I would asking for my money back if I only got 60 HP.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
ok i'll play too since you want to hijack the thread. Banks claim an 85 HP gaine for your engine. I would asking for my money back if I only got 60 HP.
Banks say nothing about a 85 HP gain. As they don't test at the flywheel like Cummins. Banks test is at the rear wheel.
Click on the "Proof" Tab at the Link.

ISB 5.9L PUSHER: The ultimate engineering feat for 24-valve Cummins pushers, PowerPack, adds Banks High-Ram air-inlet casting to the Stinger® platform. With additional airflow and boost available to the intake valves through this final improvement, massive torque is ready to come to attention instantly. At 34 psi, PowerPack’s peak boost measures 36% better than stock. Banks PowerPack system unleashes colossal gains to +63 hp and +142 lb-ft torque.

I had a gas 33' 454 with the Banks headers and US Gear overdrive on it before getting the 5.9L. And the 5.6 MPG 454 couldn't even come close to beating the 10 MPG plus ISB up any hill.

Since I mention my gas 454 does that take me off Hijack status.
Besides I like to play. I do admit a gas MH can beat me off from a stop light for the first 50-75 feet. Then when my Banks turbo spools up to 34 PSI I can wave at them as I go by.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Absolutly not. The thread was started about the performance of the Ford 6.8L/415 cu.in. V10. I thought it would be intuitivly obvious to even the most casual observer, that is the topic. Nither of the engines mentioned meet that criteria.
I have seen no other engines mentioned except from the diesel owners, Why is that? Maybe because most everyone else is staying on topic? If the desire is to talk diesel start another thread.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #36
IC2
Winnebago Camper

If you feel the need to fight (strongly discuss?? ) the merits of diesel vs gas engines, why not wander over to the Ford Truck Enthusiasts web site. You can read the pros and cons until you nod off and your eyes glaze. The OP said how he liked his V10, NOT whether it was better or not then a diesel.

And yep, I too have a V10, chosen specifically for many of the same reasons - but I digress (hijack my own post?)
Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

I am on my second V-10 and I think it is great. Wouldn't buy anything with the 8.1...but, that's just me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Quote:
Absolutly not. The thread was started about the performance of the Ford 6.8L/415 cu.in. V10. I thought it would be intuitivly obvious to even the most casual observer, that is the topic. Nither of the engines mentioned meet that criteria.
I have seen no other engines mentioned except from the diesel owners, Why is that? Maybe because most everyone else is staying on topic? If the desire is to talk diesel start another thread.
You missed reading the post #4, #8, 11, #13, #14 That had other gas engines in the post.

As for staying on Topic.
You should go back and read #15, #18, #20, #27 and #33. Yep!!! All posted by you, our new self appointed Moderator of this tread, and all of those post were OFF TOPIC.

And as you say, most are staying on Topic. Check again.
Of the 37 post made over 57% of them are OFF Topic. Probably a good average of any tread on most Forums.

At least those V10's got the spiting out of spark plugs fixed.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I believe you missed the point. It wasn't a comparison, it was the fact that these BB engines are very capable of doing the job they were designed to do.
I would be willing to bet that most operatores are not even aware of what a powerband is, let alone how to effectivly use it.

No, not at all.. I too have passed a FEW semi's.

My point though is that the semi driver is usually in a much bigger hurry than I am.. After all.. I have somewhere I need to be on Sunday.. and it can be as close as 5 miles to where I'm currently parked.

He has to get the load delivered, get another one, get it delivered and so on or he don't get paid.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
No, not at all.. I too have passed a FEW semi's.

My point though is that the semi driver is usually in a much bigger hurry than I am.. After all.. I have somewhere I need to be on Sunday.. and it can be as close as 5 miles to where I'm currently parked.

He has to get the load delivered, get another one, get it delivered and so on or he don't get paid.
Wasn't refering to OTR drivers, rather RV drivers, the majority of which have probably never driven anything larger than the family car, before purchasing an RV and are not aware of the capabilities of the V-10. It was designed to make torque at high rpm rather than low rpm so you can take better advantage of gearing.