Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2022, 09:40 PM   #1
Site Team

How to prevent catalytic converter theft

Here’s a pretty good article from RV Life on how to prevent catalytic converter theft. It summarizes a lot of what I’ve read on the various threads here. Yeah, a lot of smart people here!

how to prevent catalytic converter theft
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Getting serious,

Many owners are having their VIN and/or license plate # inscribed on the cat.
I've read of law enforcement painting them with a bright color that is resistant to high heat and paint removal chemicals, for free.
I have a cousin who buys and scraps old cars, he made good money from selling cats, until this July 1, when ALL cat sellers must be licensed by the local law enforcment agency. Salvage yards are required to keep that license number, along with the name and address -and picture of the seller. That is in Indiana
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm skeptical of the paint/engraving method. I can see how it might be effective if they're selling to scrap yards for resale, etc. but I'm thinking these are crooks selling to crooks who're removing the valuable metals, not re-selling them for installation.

I just had one of my two converters stolen from my motorhome. I'm wondering what anti-theft devices might be effective given that there are several feet of accessible exhaust pipe fore and aft of each converter, both of which are extremely accessible. Here's a link to my thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ft-364775.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm skeptical of the paint/engraving method. I can see how it might be effective if they're selling to scrap yards for resale, etc. but I'm thinking these are crooks selling to crooks who're removing the valuable metals, not re-selling them for installation.

I just had one of my two converters stolen from my motorhome. I'm wondering what anti-theft devices might be effective given that there are several feet of accessible exhaust pipe fore and aft of each converter, both of which are extremely accessible. Here's a link to my thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ft-364775.html
I've read posts about building a cage out of rebar welded together, but since the thief already has a battery sawzall, a rebar cage just involves a few more minutes of time and battery power.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Getting serious,
I've read of law enforcement painting them with a bright color that is resistant to high heat and paint removal chemicals, for free.
I'm not aware of any paint that would survive the kind of temps that a catalytic converter sees (1500+).
Old 09-02-2022, 06:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I'm not aware of any paint that would survive the kind of temps that a catalytic converter sees (1500+).
The best I've seen is advertised as 1200F - 2000F, intermittent. Who knows what that means, I'd think catalytic converter heat is pretty much constant.

Engraving might be a better choice, but even that relies on having an honest person somewhere in the chain.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The best I've seen is advertised as 1200F - 2000F, intermittent. Who knows what that means, I'd think catalytic converter heat is pretty much constant.

Engraving might be a better choice, but even that relies on having an honest person somewhere in the chain.
I painted my Catalytic Converter with 2000 degree orange exhaust header paint. It quickly turned red and then faded away to a light pink. I put a police initials on the sides “SAPD”, too.

That catalytic converter was stolen and the video of the theft shows no hesitation due to my efforts.

As mentioned previously in this post the only RV in my storage lot that the thieves did not steal the device has a Cat Strap applied. My replacement Cat has a Cat Strap… fingers crossed.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You are pretending to stop theft

Engraving just reduces chances for resale. Most converters are scrapped for expensive metals. They could care less about numbers, paint or any other markings. They throw away the outside and sell the guts.
You need to prevent that battery cutoff grinder from getting at inlet and outlet pipes. The best way I know is to have a permanent parking spot and build as high a concrete block wall that you can drive over but limit access to underside of piping on at least one side of cat. Between engine and cat is most effective but you can adjust. Then ring with barbed wire, electric fence , pit bull. Your mileage may vary.
DeltaRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sadly my RV is in the shop right now waiting for a replacement. They broke into the storage facility and in 45 minutes got all of them in the facility. Sheriff said chances are very low they will get caught.

THey are painting my new one red so it theoretically the scrap yard won't take it. I highly doubt that will do anything. For $750 they offered to weld a cage around it.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

dont see benefit from welded on cage

A welded on cage of rebar is not going to be useful. The thieves dont care about where they sever the hanger supports or the inlet and outlet pipes. All they care about is the internal rare metal pieces. They will just sever the exhaust pipes on the inlet and outlet side of the cage and then cut the hanger and steal your $750 cage and the contained cat and separate them once at their recycling yard. Shoot on site or consider the concrete box barrier mentioned in my original response.
DeltaRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Sadly I can't do the concrete barrier
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter, vent