Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do they stay in one piece?

Just picked up our new 2017 Journey 36M (golf clap).

Coming from a travel trailer (Airstream) where you can't hear what's going on inside when towing, I'm trying to figure out how these things stay in one piece. It sounds like world war 3 every time we hit a bump in the road, it's quite distressing lol.

Only a couple problems so far, a small leak in front (assuming from running lights) ... it rained *really* hard a few nights ago and woke up to some drops on the dashboard. Also when we started off a little water came from in front of the shades but not from windshield. Got an appointment the 19th to fix.

Lost the passenger side mirror camera on the way home, worked them suddenly "no video signal" on the display when that camera is active.

Other than that so far so good
bkervaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post

Coming from a travel trailer (Airstream) where you can't hear what's going on inside when towing, I'm trying to figure out how these things stay in one piece. It sounds like world war 3 every time we hit a bump in the road, it's quite distressing lol.

Only a couple problems so far, a small leak in front (assuming from running lights) ... it rained *really* hard a few nights ago and woke up to some drops on the dashboard. Also when we started off a little water came from in front of the shades but not from windshield. Got an appointment the 19th to fix.

Lost the passenger side mirror camera on the way home, worked them suddenly "no video signal" on the display when that camera is active.

we, too, are amazed at how well these units are constructed given the horrible state of most roads. on our last trip we had the misfortune to run on I-70 thru Indianapolis and points east and I thought the MH was gonna shake itself apart.

btw...what is 'Golf Clap'???

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

golf clap
1. An exaggeratedly quiet clapping intended as a show of sarcastic support or disdain.

c.f. the quiet clapping sound heard on televised golf tournament coverage. Due to the distance between the microphone and the crowd, the golf clap sounds like a nearby crowd of people clapping at minimal volume.

1. He dropped his fully-loaded cafeteria tray, breaking all the dishes. Naturally, we gave him a golf clap.

2. We cheered Sue as she crossed the marathon's finish line 8 days later with a hearty golf clap.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post

We purchased a new 2014 Itasca 27N, and our passenger side camera went south as well. No video! Under warranty. They replaced camera. Took a while to get the part from Winn. factory. Also had host of other problems with unit while under warranty. Lost approx. 4 mos of usage as it sat on dealer's lot awaiting parts and authorization from factory to execute repairs. I wrote letter to Winnebago corporate and they extended my factory warranty to cover time lost.

Good Luck!
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If it's not loaded for trips, it will be a rougher ride.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
golf clap
1. An exaggeratedly quiet clapping intended as a show of sarcastic support or disdain.

c.f. the quiet clapping sound heard on televised golf tournament coverage. Due to the distance between the microphone and the crowd, the golf clap sounds like a nearby crowd of people clapping at minimal volume.

1. He dropped his fully-loaded cafeteria tray, breaking all the dishes. Naturally, we gave him a golf clap.

2. We cheered Sue as she crossed the marathon's finish line 8 days later with a hearty golf clap.

thanks. never heard the term before...thought it was some sort of disease!

Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tires may be over inflated. You can't know till you weigh your MH.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I too would suspect the tires are over inflated. When we picked up our 2013 Adventurer the tires were inflated to the maximum pressure of 110 psi. The motorhome road like a lumber wagon and bounced all over the road.

After loading it for travel and weighing it we reduced the tire pressure to 85 psi. It now rides and drives like a dream.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

3X on weighting and setting tire pressure.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
3X on weighting and setting tire pressure.
don't know about the OP but we have weighed the MH and have the proper inflation in the tires. sometimes it's just a really crappy road.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I find the ride a lot better with my fresh water tank full. Does not affect MPG.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:20 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I find the ride a lot better with my fresh water tank full. Does not affect MPG.
Looks like someone beat me to it. Yes fill the Potable Water tank, it's your ballast tank and helps a lot with keeping it upright and from wallowing all over the road.
Those that have served in the Navy and or have a good sized boat know what I'm talking about.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

2017 Journey 36M …. Nice

MSRP somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K and Winnebago still can’t figure out how to seal the front from water leaks. Do Not let up on this one until you are 100% positive that the dealer has it fixed. By fixed I mean that the dealer can demonstrate the problem and show you the fix.

Noise/rattle/squeaks at every discontinuity in the highway – Like you, we came from a travel trailer to this used MH of ours. I have fixed 7 rattles sources now (top 3 = passenger window screen, microwave oven and side entry door). The sad part is that all of these rattles have been there since the MH was built. The PO must have been deaf or was driven deaf by this rolling piece of Iowa workmanship.

Sorry, thinking about some of the corrections that I had to make has started my blood to run hot.

Enjoy your new home.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I've not ridden in a newer Journey but my '02 with it's airbags is very quiet.

I wonder if your airbags are over inflated maybe?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote