Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

In reading Lucchese1's Durango post, he said his 05 Horizon uses front furnace. I haven't found anything in my manuals(I found my owners manual, yeh) which states which one might on my 03 UA.

Is front "universal" for heating the compartments? We are going down into light freeze days and I would like to keep things warmed. Don't want to winterize yet, have to make a sad trip to Austin soon, a good friend died on new years day, just waiting to hear when arrangements are.

Since I "now" know , that I can't use 20amp to run elec heat, just want to know which LP does the job.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

In reading Lucchese1's Durango post, he said his 05 Horizon uses front furnace. I haven't found anything in my manuals(I found my owners manual, yeh) which states which one might on my 03 UA.

Is front "universal" for heating the compartments? We are going down into light freeze days and I would like to keep things warmed. Don't want to winterize yet, have to make a sad trip to Austin soon, a good friend died on new years day, just waiting to hear when arrangements are.

Since I "now" know , that I can't use 20amp to run elec heat, just want to know which LP does the job.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

McDuff

I don't know for absolute certain it is only one or the other, but if I were running just one LP furnace on my coach in freezing weather, I would run the front. Actually, I would probably have both on, but would set the rear about 10 degrees or more below the front one so that in case the front one failed for some reason, the rear would come on and save my bacon!!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I only have one furnace in mine , but I would assume that the 'main' front furnace heats the bays. You should be able to find out by running just one furnace and checking the water bay for warm air. I would expect that you could tell the difference if one was heating the bay and the other wasn't.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

In most coachs I would say the front furnace in fact if you run your furnace you may find the heat outlet in the compartment area, mine has a 12v fan in foil tubing to push more heated air into the lower tank area, its controled with a switch and cycles off and on with furnace.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Good thoughts/ideas,

I will have to see if I can tell a difference in the bays when running one. Ya know, maybe that is why the front doesn't feel like it moves as much air as the back one, if it is sending air to bays.

And good idea on setting both, "backup" is never a bad idea.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We are due for "hard" freeze(guessing low 20's or high teens) conditions this coming weekend.

Will the furnace keep the bays from freezing, or do I need to make use of droplights/heaters in the compartments?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Will the furnace keep the bays from freezing, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, no problem as long as you are running the LP furnaces! We spent a week in temps ranging from 20 degrees to 5 below just running the furnaces. I put a thermometer with wireless remote sending units in the water pump compartment and water service bay. One got down to 42 and the other down to 39 during that week.

Do remember that the StoreMore bays that move out with the slide are not heated! I wouldn't leave any freezable liquids in those bays.