Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

hot water heater

we have a 2003 journey and i am just wondering when we are plugged in at a park is there a way that the hot water heater would work on electric or is it always suppose to work on propane.
Darlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
only if your water heater is desigmed to work on electric. what does your owner's manual say? can you provide mfg and model info for the water heater?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Depends on not only year, make, model but also the options any specific RV was equipted with. But in general, if it is set to heat water electrically, there will be a switch on/near the controls for turning the heater on. If only on/off, there is no electric option.
If you have the original info packet and things have not been lost, there should be a list of all the details like options in that package.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

First, assuming it is designed to work on electric, chances are that a prior owner had the electric turned on without water and burned out the element. That should be a fairly easy fix--or at least the parts should be cheap. I have mine unplugged just so I don't accidentally do that so that it works when I can't use propane for some reason. Which gets to the second point.

But for the fact that electricity is typically free at campsites, there isn't really a lot of advantage to electric. Propane will heat faster, and if your RV has only a 30 amp service the water heater would use a lot of your total capacity and that might be a problem, particularly if you're running A/C or a hair dryer. Personally I'd rather pay for the propane.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Is there a switch at the top of the one place control center (Red)
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater