Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I have a 2006 Journey, Model 39K. Under the bed, there is a hole about 2 feet by 1 foot that goes through to the electrical connection compartment in the left rear side of the motorhome.

There aren't any power lines coming through the hole. It may give you some access to the front of the inverter, but it also gives critters access to the inside of the motorhome.

I added some screening to cover the hole, but I'd like to add a solid cover to the hole that could be removed if access to the compartment from above is needed.

Why is it there? Appreciate some input.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 02-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Bob, I'm guessing this is a ventilation hole to warm that compartment, which in mine, is open to the water compartment.

Converse is true as well -- will allow heat to escape out of the compartment where the inverter is.

I would suggest screening instead of blocking off the hole.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bob - since I have a 36G our compartments may be different, but I have my water hookup in that compartment also. The opening would be to let warm air in to heat the compartment. I stuff the openings around the power and water entries to keep critters out of the compartment.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Bob ...

Pusherman has it correct ... all of the forward compartments have the warm air duct from the LP furnace running through them ... that heats your forward compartments ... the only source of heat to the electric / fresh water bay is through that opening into the bedroom through the floor

I live in a colder climate ... when I open that bay door in colder weather I can feel the warm air on my face ... so it works ... and my fresh water hose reel (I installed myself in that bay) never freezes ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have been studying this hole as a two way ventilation access. When the AC unit is cooling it is sucking in warm moist outside air through this access. Sort of like leaving a window open. But since the AC unit can freeze us out it doesn't seem to be making a significance difference.

But I have installed a fan in the electrical compartment that is located under the bed to push cooler MH air into the exterior overheated electrical compartment to try to keep it cooler when we are running down the road during the summer. In our 2004 Journey 36G the muffler is mounted behind the exterior electrical compartment. Mounted in this electrical compartment is the inverter/charger, the Allison transmission computer, the transfer switch and the toad controller. Since I have had inverter and Allison computer failure I am thinking the excessive heat is causing the problem. Won't know if the fan will lower the compartment temp until this summer. Hope so! SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

SteveG - What kind of fan did you use, how or where did you fasten it, and how do you power it while traveling? Your fix sounds like something I need to do. I sometimes wonder if the electrical compartment could be where I might be getting some of the engine odor I notice in the bedroom, and a fan would pressurize that compartment also.
I can't believe how much terrific information and ideas to improve what the engineers should have done in the first place travel over this forum.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster2, I am using a used Endless Breeze fan donated to me by the Fantastic Fan company to see if it would help my situation. There is an existing post where I discuss the problem but I have not added any additional post because it is not yet clear how beneficial the fan will be. It is a bit oversize for the compartment but I do have it installed and will report back the results with photos later this summer. But I have been tracking temps and have not had the electrical compartment exceed 85 degrees during our Florida winter driving. This summer will be a different story. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Thanks for the great ideas. Ventilation could be an issue. When I look at the way that the bed is mounted, there isn't much air that could circulate under the bed. While it isn't air tight by any stretch of the imagination, it is pretty tight, and there aren't any ventilation openings into the living area. I'll leave the screening in place. It won't stop everything, but it might discourage some critters.

Thanks for the great ideas.

W8RLM - Bob