Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

high mounted seat belts

We have a 2014 Sunstar 35F on a Ford F53 chassis. One problem that seems like a safety issue is how high the seatbelt for the driver and the passenger are mounted. They don't adjust like cars do, they are fixed mounted. But they are so high they feel like they are cutting your next instead of coming over the shoulder. To get the seatbelt at a comfortable height while seated there is to route the seatbelt under your arm - not a recommended or safe thing to do. Done only as a reference. I'm looking for some way or some product that safely addresses this issue. I know my RV is not the only one out there like that as I see them on the lots for sale but I don't see how they dealt with it.

thanks
Mike
mdlessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have had that B pillar covering off before in our 31KE. The steel tube for the pillar is reinforced at the mounting point with a welded plate and maybe a welded nut.

One could certainly replicate that mounting, but it would be invasive surgery and welding inside the moho.

An alternative MIGHT be to raise the seats, but that creates its own engineering problems.

Lemme think on this...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Being short, I know the complaint but not found a logical fix, either. One temp option that my wife has "invented" is to use a cloths pin down to hold the two sections of strap together and down from the mounting about 6-8 inches.
Yes, this does add slack to the seatbelt and that can make it less effective in a real crash but we have thought it over and decided that hazard is small compared to having most of the motorhome come up and set on us in any real crash!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Lemme think on this...

OK, I thought about this and here is what I have come up with. (My wife has the same complaint.)

The idea is an aluminum U stuck to the B pillar.

Try using a length of 3/4" aluminum bar. I'd try 1/16" thickness first. Cut it to a length as wide as the B pillar, plus maybe 4 or 5 inches to start.

At the width of the pillar, bend it into a U around a pipe or something. I'd say, no less than a half inch diameter. The free end should be an inch or 2 longer than the width of the pillar, at least to start.

Stick it to the B Pillar plastic cover with VHB tape or hook and loop tape, with the open end of the U facing forward.

Slide both of the shoulder belt sections (the one leading up from the retractor, and the one leading to the buckle) into the U.
Test and modify as needed.

The U may need to be bent so that the legs are closer together than parallel to keep the belt constrained in normal use.

I don't think you should close the U into a loop, the belt should be free to pop out of it.

If anyone tries this, please post back on your results.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I ordered these from Amazon. Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Adju...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
mudslidemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This worked for me https://www.wescoperformance.com/3poresebewil.html
The belt length was a bit shorter than the original so I needed a short extension. Otherwise it was perfect