Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
Boondocker

Hello from Ontario - Winter Camping & Boondocking

Three years and 60,000 Kms into RV ownership, 99% boondocking all year round. Looking forward to hearing from other boondockers and winter users. Cheers!
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome While we do not boondock we do go out all year long. Sometimes it is a challenge with the weather but always have a good time. Safe travels and good health.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
Boondocker

Do you go out in freezing temperatures? I have winterized our rig every winter so far, using three or four jugs of antifreeze in the black tank so we could use the toilet, rinsing with a container of water we kept inside.

Being toying with the idea of taking a 2 to 3-day trip during freezing weather, keeping the furnace on, and the water heater lit. We have waste tank heaters, but Winnebago didn't install waste pipe heaters, and I haven't gotten around to installing them. Not that it really matters I guess, because we don't plug in to 115v AC when we're boondocking, and I wouldn't keep the generator running the whole time just to keep the waste tanks and drains thawed-out.

Any tips or ideas?

Cheers!

Gil
Old 10-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Just curious, how do handle winter road salt acting upon your unit? That has been one of the major hold-backs for me, to tow over winter, and salt laden roads. With all the steel and aluminum content of RV's...I dunno.... Any suggestions? The manufacturers say not to use a power wash on any of the outside of your RV...because of laminated construction.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Boondocker

Hi Sun Seeker,

To combat road slop and salt, I installed big mud flaps behind the duallys and just in front of the propane tank. The storage compartments are not well-built; just light-weight galvanized steel and subject to 60,000 kms of year-round beating. Getting Krown Rust Control every spring is helping, but I expect to be replacing the bins at some point in time.

I use a car wash brush on a long pipe handle, with a bucket of Simonze wash and wax, then rinse it with the garden hose. I think if you can keep the fibreglas clean and coated, it should be okay... like a boat.

A lot of the wiring is hanging out under the rig, and I have added a number of cold-weather tie-wraps in an effort to keep it all bundled-up. The tail light assemblies are a mess, with poor gaskets and resultant leakage and rusted lamp sockets. I plan to replace those with better light assemblies.

Some of it is a bit disappointing, although I imagine most folks wouldn't be pounding 20,000 kms on their rigs throughout the year. Can't really complain, given the Minnie Winnie is quite affordable... but I hope the big rigs are better put-together for the money!
Old 10-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Boondocker

Using RV in cold temperatures

We should probably take this conversation over to "Using RV in cold temperatures" in the Winnebago General Discussions... or start a new thread over there.

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...es-352790.html
Old 10-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thank you for all that....yeah...want to travel (or thinking of) down to Alabama within the months of FEB/MARCH...but the subject matter is holding me back. I always want the best trade-in valuation, and as we all know...an RV can be falling apart at the seams, (car/truck as well!), but if it LOOKS GOOD...that's all that seems to matter for the highest trade in allowance!

There is one solution that I have been researching though..renting an RV (20 footer) for the 4 weeks I would want to be down there. It's much less (very much less!) than renting a condo for the same time...and you can tow it to any other RV destination in Alabama, and Florida over those four weeks. If you discount the cost you'd have of (gas) towing your own RV, as well as no exposure to winter corrosion elements...this actually is a good thing to consider. No different than renting a motorcycle at location. I've done that before...and the cost factor actually cancels out pretty much the rental up charge, of riding your bike to the vacation zone. Of course, you'd have to take your tow vehicle down...but hey...no biggie either. Again, thanks for your input.

Thanks for your response!

Sun Seeker
Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
Boondocker

Have a good trip!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:18 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Seasons View Post
Have a good trip!
Thanks, hope to put many miles, and rack up great camping/vacation memories with the 1706FB! During the Winter, I know that I will step inside...check things out, for critters and leaks...sit down upon the bed...look around...and dream a little, before stepping down and out...locking up...until next week....

Spring can't come soon enough, and Winter hasn't even formally started!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Seasons View Post
We should probably take this conversation over to "Using RV in cold temperatures" in the Winnebago General Discussions... or start a new thread over there.

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...es-352790.html
I have moved your Welcome Mat thread and expanded the title. Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
Boondocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I have moved your Welcome Mat thread and expanded the title. Hope this helps.
Thank you!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Easy solution: Save your money, buy a bunch of gas and head south. These things are not really designed for use in sub freezing weather. The insulation is minimal and the amount of energy required to keep everything safe is really high.

In Vermont, I stayed at a campground where some of the locals use their parked RVs year round, for snowmobiling the area, but were plugged in and had two large propane tanks on the site. I'm not positive, but I think they drained the tanks and lines and dry camped using the park's facilities, which are open year round, and also weren't living there full time; not really my idea of RVing.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

cold weather, high altitude boondocking

Micro Minnie 2108DS back in the flatlands now, but spent about 3 weeks in early Oct dry-camping several mountain areas ranging from 9200' to 10600' with temps down in the 20s at night. all went well! most amazing to me is how little LP is used for furnace, hot water, fridge, and stove! Also, battery ran trailer (primarily furnace) all night without needing to start generator (Honda 2200i with 5-10k' carb jet mod 0.6mm). Took about an hour of gen time AM and PM to fully recharge batt. a few times furnace did not light on 1st ignite, and LOTS of clicking from relay module box in A/C return. Spoke w/Dometic certified tech on return home, and he suggested the battery needs replacing. So did that w/larger amp batt, and furnace working OK (no module clicking and 1st ignite) below freezing temps, albeit now at 1700'.
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #14
Boondocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGs2108DS View Post
most amazing to me is how little LP is used for furnace, hot water, fridge, and stove! Also, battery ran trailer (primarily furnace) all night without needing to start generator
I've had the same experience in our Minnie Winnie 31K, it seems to be well-insulated and the double-pane windows really help. Propane use is really quite minimal. I do have to hang a heavy sleeping bag between the cab and coach, to avoid heat loss and condensation in the uninsulated area.

Tags
camping, winter