Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Heater hoses to motor aid

Has anyone changed their heater hoses from the engine to the motor aid on their gas coach? Just thinking about routine maintenance and wondered what was involved.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have not, but am thinking of the same thing. All radiator hoses for that matter. Looks like a job for the service dept.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Bobpie, it is easy enough to do the upper and lower radiator hoses and T-stat. But if the HWH must be R&Red to accommodate the heater hoses, then you might be right about it being a bigger job. I don't see from the underside any other way of doing it. It may not be a bad time to change out that noisy aux coach heater bearing
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It certainly is a good idea to replace those hoses. Had one spring a leak on my previous coach (96 Vectra-gasser) at about the 6-7 year mark. Can't remember what it took to fix it on the road but was able to make it in to the next major town and buy new hoses. Your coach may have an in line switch to shut off the coolant flow if it does give way on you.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It seems easy enough to carry a nipple to connect both hoses in an emergency.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It seems as if the heater hoses on our coaches were lifetime fitments, as no one has any info on changing them
Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

FDchief, The aux heater connections can be accessed on ours from under the wheelwell. But you will need to pull out the water heater in order to replace the coolant hoses on the back side.

On mine, the flow was into aux heater, then to water heater and then back to engine.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I replaced all my heater hoses to the cabin heater and the water heater on our 2003 adventurer but only because i had to remove water heater to fix the fan on cabin heater. really i dont see anyway you can replaces those hoses without removeing water heater at least if your old like me. Best thing is to carry a coupler to splice hoses under wheelwell just in case a hose blows behind waterheater.
dalton134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalton134 View Post
I replaced all my heater hoses to the cabin heater and the water heater on our 2003 adventurer but only because i had to remove water heater to fix the fan on cabin heater. really i dont see anyway you can replaces those hoses without removeing water heater at least if your old like me. Best thing is to carry a coupler to splice hoses under wheelwell just in case a hose blows behind waterheater.
Thanks Dalton134, that is probably what I will do until I remove the water heater. In fact I may end up putting valves in the lines until then.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

When I tried to change out the motor air heater it became a nightmare. Since I am bigger, the access restricted, I got into it but really could not move. If you have small stature you can do it, if not find a small friend. Once the hot water heater is removed the access is a lot better.

Valves, hose clamps and repair nipples are a good idea.

Pay attention to the water piping and pump lay out so you can assemble properly

Remember to seal the opening where the hoses enter the body to keep unwanted friends out.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote