Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Heat Pump Question

I’m not sure if I am asking my question in the correct place but, I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon pusher with a basement heat pump. The heat pump works great except at 45 degrees, the unit is suppose to switch to the gas furnace. It won’t switch to the gas furnace and the heat pump stops. The gas furnace works great but the unit won’t switch back to the heat pump. Before taking it to an RV shop, I was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them and what the problem is?Thanks in advance!
tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome to the forum. I moved your post out of someone else's thread on another topic to give your question its own thread.

On my Motorhome the heat pump and gas heater are separate. It's true the heat pump doesn't heat very well in cold weather. But I've not heard of one that automatically switches between the HP and the propane heater at 45 degrees.

Generally, you select the heater type you wish to use on the thermostat.

I hope I'm not steering you wrong... I haven't seen every Motorhome, so maybe this is an option I've never heard of before.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Haven't used the heat pump that much in ours. When using the heat pump if the set temp is 3 or maybe 5 degrees above the inside temp the propane furnace will come on automatically. Once the set temp is reached the unit will attempt to maintain the temp by using the heat pump only. Don't know anything about '45 degrees'.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

had same trouble as you I bought new thermostat and ended up getting mobile repair to come install sail switch and so far so good
rogerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Rogerlee
Not familiar with the "sail switch " what does it do?
Sunovatravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sail switch is part of the propane furnace. When the furnace blower goes on air movement closes the switch. If the switch doesn't close the furnace won't attempt to ignite the propane so no heat.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

A test you can do is turn thermostat on Elect heat and when it kicks on bump up temp over 4 degrees from what actual temp is in MH and listen to see if you hear gas furnace blower kick on and if it kicks off after a short period of time if it kicks off more than likely your sail switch is bad the reason blower kicks off and furnace doesn't put out any heat is this switch won't let gas valve open because it thinks it is not getting enough air to operate. It should a easy fix for a mobile repair person
rogerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The owner's manual indicates that your heat pump is supplemented by your Furnace - When the temp gets to 5 degrees below the set temp for the heat pump, the furnace will come on and will assist until the temp returns to the set temp - not bad, huh? - I love it.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote