Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Have you been to the Winnebago factory?

Can you take your MH there and have them go through it like we've heard you can at Tiffin and others?
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Living The Dream

The Winnebago factory at Forest City, Iowa, is a great place to visit! You can either drop in and wait for them to get to your motorhome for repairs, or you can call them, discuss your needs and make an appointment. I'd suggest the later (I've done both and have left satisfied either way, though).

Good thing about an appointment is you'll get to park right up front by the service center, you'll have a "pass" placard that let's you plug in to their 110v. If you just drop in, you'll still likely get to park and plug in . . . we did the time we didn't have an appointment.

They try to get your rig back to you each evening so you can stay in it overnight, too. Be sure to take the factory tour if you can, plus visit their museum/welcome center.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If the service center sites fill up they keep a couple of rows open across the highway in the rally field they let you use. They have sewer dumps and fresh water availible there.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've taken my coach back there three times... all were good experiences.

However, I'm not sure that they will just "check it out" for you as opposed to doing specific repairs you request. Give them a call. They're great to work with.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Be sure to call ahead, especially this time of year. The rally grounds don't stay open all year round. At some point(depending on the weather) they close the water and dump station. The sites at the service center and in the local municipal park (Pammel Park) are open year round they however only provide electrical hookups.

There are also abbreviated schedules for factory tours. The winter hours change as the demand for production changes. Some weeks production could be 4 10 hr. days
Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The big event of the year in Forest City is the Grand National Rally (GNR) sponsored by the WIT Club and Winnebago Idustries in July. During this event special tours of the factory are held which are more detailed than the routine tours. During this time tours are also conducted of the support factories like stichcraft, cabinet making and the like. During GNR there is also entertainment, tours of farms, travel and tours of closeby venues such as Clear Lake, Minneapolis Mall Etc. The down side is that you must own a Winnebago Product and belong to WIT.

Don G WIT 70041.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We are going in mid march hopefully it will not be snowing by then
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
We are going in mid march hopefully it will not be snowing by then
Tom, it would be nice to see your signature. What do you have for a coach, car and other goodies. It makes answering specific questions easier.

Forest City is not much to write home about. I hope you made and appointment and belong to the WIT club. Doing both will save you money at the service center and store. You must join the club 30 days prior to going to the store. The discount is not honored for members with less than 30 days.

While you wait you can go to the Hallmark store and listen to the old guy talk of the early days of Winnebago. He was fascinating. The quilt store is almost a museum of beautiful quilts. The folks are very informative. For a day trip there is the Grotto. It was the life work of a rare stone collecting monk. Well worth the trip.

The parking at the service center is first come first serve. If your appointment is on a Monday getting in Saturday or early Sunday is not unusual. Picking a sight with dish coverage might be considered. Many trees around.

Have a good list of things to fix ready. If your warranty will cover it they will find that out. Things I didn't think were covered did get covered.

Oh. Yea. Go to the grain scales and get your coach weighed. We did not know of this option until we were ready to pull out. And the coffee shop on 69 north is a good place for a breakfast sandwich and coffee on a cool morning.

Enjoy your time there. We look forward to going back and hope to get to the GNR one of these years.

If your coach is on a Freightliner, Gaffney, SC is another great service center and factory tour. We had our 'chassis tuneup' done there and were very pleased.

Happy trails and many great adventures.

Rick

Pamela Park is very nice and is a good place to dump and fill your water. The park is well laid out and in a peaceful setting. I don't know the rates.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We've been there 3 times and the service, hospitallity, and parking were very good. I highly recommend an appointment. You should have a list of things that need attention. Not sure if they do inspections and PDIs. They are building a new coustomer center and waiting lounge and might be close to being done or at least by spring. They have customer service that is hard to beat. They do service contract work too, but you should give them that info at the apt time. 50amp and 15 amp available at their sites. 30 amp units will need a converter plug. Plant tours are suspended during winter months. I'd go for the experience. The work will be great.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
We've been there 3 times and the service, hospitallity, and parking were very good. I highly recommend an appointment. You should have a list of things that need attention. Not sure if they do inspections and PDIs. They are building a new coustomer center and waiting lounge and might be close to being done or at least by spring. They have customer service that is hard to beat. They do service contract work too, but you should give them that info at the apt time. 50amp and 15 amp available at their sites. 30 amp units will need a converter plug. Plant tours are suspended during winter months. I'd go for the experience. The work will be great.
Hi ghutch... small world...we are just down river in Buffalo...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have had the coach serviced at the factory twice. Both times it was during the GNR (2012 & 2013). The first time it was an awning and paint repair. A week or so prior to the GNR The wind somehow caught the awning (the awning had been in the stowed position and not deployed) and tore the stanchion off. There was cosmetic damage to the paint where the awning stanchion damaged the paint. I put the Winnebago people together with the insurance adjuster and then had the repairs done at the GNR. I was very satisfied with the the work that was done as well as the professionalism of the Winnebago people.

My basement AC/Heat pump was not working. I had the unit at my local dealer and they claimed that they had fixed it. On the way to the GNR we discovered that the AC/ Heat Pump was not fixed. When we got to the GNR we got in the Que to get it fixed. Winnebago replaced a condenser and fixed a leak in the coils. When I picked up the unit I did not have a chance to test the AC as the weather had cooled off. The first opportunity We had to use the AC we found it was not working. I took it to the RV dealer ( the one that originally claimed to have it fixed only because that was the only way the extended warranty could be honored) and they farmed it out to a Workhorse dealer. The same compressor needed replacing and the leaking coils also needed repairing. Winnebago was contacted and they sent a new compressor and rebated $500+ for the labor costs. They have a 90 day warranty on their work.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Was just there in August. Just after you check in, your service tech comes out and does a walk through on the coach. Any items needing attention are added to the work request. A walk through is done with the tech each morning to check the previous days work and see if there are any more items to add. Each evening the tech goes over the day's work with you to make sure that it was satisfactory.

Up to three additional items can be added to the original item(s) that the appointment was scheduled for. I would make my trip plans to allow plenty of extra time. Most people arrive a day or so at least before the scheduled appointment and then the work may take extra days beyond the original estimation, especially if you have added on extra work items. I ended up staying three days and had a blast all three days.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Factory

I've also been to the Winnebago factory for tours (2 times) and service on our SightSeer (3 times). The first two times was for very routine stuff and they did great. The last time was when I wanted to have custom cabinet work done to remove old TV and install a new one. They did an excellent job on the custom work. Technician was great and very personable.

I got there Sunday about 1pm for a 7am Monday appointment. I got one of the close sites - they were filled by 4pm but there were lots of sites available in a gravel area about 30' away.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

If you geocache you can do a virtual where Buddy Holly crashed and visit Clear Lake where the Surf Ballroom is, the place the last played.

Not too far away is Mason City where you can visit Music Man Square and the Meredith Wilson home.
Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #15

We have been through the factory. in Forest city 1/2 dozen times. Every time I see something new. And it is an experiance Everyone should Enjoy; We also go to GNR. That is a must. As for having work done at the factory.. I will leave that comment for later... as ALL the dealers repair Must have there Personal go through training for repairing coaches; I allways get a kick out of the Guy. in the croud that says WELL they build it I want them to repair it... I can only say.. OH ARE THEY THE ONES THAT SCREWED IT UP. so now we have to repair it ????.. Think about it.. LIFE IS GOOD
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

bachler, I am not certain what you are trying to say with "As for having work done at the factory.. I will leave that comment for later... as ALL the dealers repair Must have there Personal go through training for repairing coaches". The worst and most costly repairs I have experienced have been from "factory trained" "technicians" at dealerships. When I get to the factory the well trained and directed folks there do the correct repairs..

I have heard many great things about the GNR. We have not had the opportunity to be to one yet. Forest City is a great little town and the folks are warm and friendly. The frustration of being down for repairs is calmed some by the FC folks and the other RVers getting repairs done. The techs at the factory are great and freely give good information to help your rig function longer and better.

Happy trails to all,
Rick
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
bachler, I am not certain what you are trying to say with "As for having work done at the factory.. I will leave that comment for later... as ALL the dealers repair Must have there Personal go through training for repairing coaches". The worst and most costly repairs I have experienced have been from "factory trained" "technicians" at dealerships. When I get to the factory the well trained and directed folks there do the correct repairs..

I have heard many great things about the GNR. We have not had the opportunity to be to one yet. Forest City is a great little town and the folks are warm and friendly. The frustration of being down for repairs is calmed some by the FC folks and the other RVers getting repairs done. The techs at the factory are great and freely give good information to help your rig function longer and better.

Happy trails to all,
Rick
We have been there and had service work done and everyone was friendly and professional. Service was "over the top" and the customer lounge, although small, was warm and friendly. We will continue to have the factory do any extensive work rather than have the so called "professional staff" at places such as, do I dare say it--oh, go ahead--Camping World attempt to make an effort and then leave with the same problems you took it to them for in the first place.
senior-cit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #18

Let me be Clear;;; It really don't make a differance weather you take it to the factory or to your neighborhood Winnebago dealer. They all have been trained to do the repairs. Please NO between the line reading. (it gets you in trouble). They all do repairs. they all do good work. And sometimes some do make mistakes. weather in the factory or at a dealership... I once herd something like. HE who is with out a mistake. cast the first stone.... And Go to GNR. and visit=visit=visit.. If you want, it will be the time of your life. Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Let me be Clear;;; It really don't make a differance weather you take it to the factory or to your neighborhood Winnebago dealer. They all have been trained to do the repairs.
I'm glad you've had such good luck with dealers... but some of us have not been so lucky and do, in fact, find the factory to be more thorough, knowledgeable, willing to share knowledge and (in some cases) even more honest than our local dealers.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

In many cases the RV dealer service departments are similar to the auto dealer service departments. They are both required by the manufacturer to have factory certified technicians in each field, and they are also required to purchase any "special tooling" needed to perform repairs before they are allowed to submit warranty claims for repairs.

However in most cases the factory doesn't verify the "factory trained" technician is still working at the dealership. The dealership isn't required to report personnel turnover, and the factory rep usually doesn't inquire as to whether the dealer currently has a technician certified in each field of repair.

Even if the dealer has a technician certified in the field they often only inspect and sign off on work that has been done by someone else. Unless the certified tech follows every step of the repair there's always the possibility that a mistake has occurred they are unaware of. In most cases the technician/inspector only gets a slight increase in pay for both doing his/her own work plus inspecting the work of others. They generally concentrate more on performing their own assigned repairs since they are the ones that pay their salary.

Tags
winnebago