Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hate the Ideal Rest mattress

Has anyone replaced the factory installed air chamber mattress with a memory foam one? DW hates the Innomax. I'm not enamoured with it. We prefer a less high tech system. I asked our dealer about it and was told that the reason for the air bed was so it could be deflated in order to raise the head of the bed ("bed tilt") so the slide can retract. Hoping that is not the case. The pump hoses pull out and the remotes have to be reset frequently requiring the heave bed platform to need lifting up. Getting harder as time goes by.

Thanx for any input...
Bev and Keith
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just bought a Sunova 35G, mind you it is in the repair shop at the present time, Bed slide came off the rail and a major malfunction happened. Had wife help hold up bed while I got under bed, took a stick, depressed the limit switch to get the slide to come back in enough to get it to CW. But Winnebago is sending all the new parts to replace the slide out system. Have you checked the hose connections, if they are not connected correctly and tight it will not inflate correctly. There has been several blogs about this bed system, sure-enough if is not the best system. We have thought about making this change also, but I am holding off until we get it back from CW with all the new corrections. If it does not work then, We will be making a move for replacement. Drop me a note in a few days and hopefully our coach is completed and I will be able to give you a better answer. We are very pleased with the coach, just had a couple of problems, now the road is wide open for us to go and have fun..
Texas-Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We had Winnebago replace the mattress that came with our Journey with the Innomax in 2012. Innomax replaced the air pump within a few months and the unit has functioned well until last year when it began loosing air requiring filling nightly. I used liquid soap and found the air leak at the hose connection to the air chamber. I called Innomax and they instructed me to pull the hose out of the air chamber, coat the hose with rubber cement and slide the hose back in the fitting. That seems to have fixed my leak and the bed is functioning normally after 6 to 8 months of use since I did this fix.

We are reasonably satisfied with the bed, but we have used Sleep Comfort Air beds at home for 15 years. They are a bit different than a conventional mattress.

Safe Travels,
David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Checked the hoses. Innomax told the tech that the pump is bad. Only fix is replacement. The bed system has a 3 year full replacement warranty and pro-rated after that. Coach is just 2 years old. Lots of malfunctions/ QC issues. DW is becoming disheartened. As you all know..."happy wife.....happy life."
Old 04-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

cochise1949, looking at the drawing you would have to have someone build you a two part mattress with a hinge so the head end could lift up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 38Q bed.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	123699  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Cochise, I'm not going to be a whole lot of help here. But . . . Noticed you're in Elsinore. We retired out of Temecula. After roughly 3.5 years of full-timing we're building a much smaller place in Murrieta. That bed is the first thing I am going to fix on our 2012 37f. I was not happy when I found that Winnebago had been using that poor piece of engineering involving that whole folding bed & slide out mechanism knowing there were problems with it for a couple of years before we bought ours. And they are still using it! Our bed is temperamental to say the least. It especially likes to refuse to deflate on my wife's side prior to pulling a grade - like Cajon or Tehachapi. On one occasion I went over both of those passes (from Coronado) fully expecting it to burst. Then I'd have to do something about it. When we are off the road my plan is to completely take the unit out, then to modify it so I can get into it to address problems arising on the road. (For instance, there's a poorly designed plunger that must depress for the slide to come in. I 'fixed' that when ". . . the local Winnebago dealer . . . " did not, but I didn't have the tools on the road to address the design deficiencies. I've considered replacing the entire inflatable bed with two twin mattresses that I would rotate 90* and stack on each other once the slide was retracted. There's a place near the DMV office in Temecula that does excellent upholstery work where something like outdoor seating cushions could be fabricated to work. Or perhaps a good quality inflatable mattress like I've seen available at Costco. And . . . I think you will find in your area that your best RV service & repair will be from mobile RV techs. There's a guy from the Corona area that Pechanga RV resort recommended to us who was really, really good. Same with a guy from the Menifee area if I remember right. And these guys don't keep your coach for 3 weeks at a time. (Let me also say that Temecula RV has a pretty good reputation. I have never used them. Who I have used for routine maintenance & serious suspension upgrades is Redlands Truck & RV. Excellent. If your coach handles like mine, once you catch a windy day in either of those aforementioned passes, you will want to talk to them.).
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
Has anyone replaced the factory installed air chamber mattress with a memory foam one? DW hates the Innomax. I'm not enamoured with it. We prefer a less high tech system. I asked our dealer about it and was told that the reason for the air bed was so it could be deflated in order to raise the head of the bed ("bed tilt") so the slide can retract. Hoping that is not the case. The pump hoses pull out and the remotes have to be reset frequently requiring the heave bed platform to need lifting up. Getting harder as time goes by.

Thanx for any input...
Bev and Keith

I replaced the bed in our Ellipse 42QD with memory foam. No problem at all when the bed folds to bring in the slide. Hated the air mattress.
Jerry
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
I replaced the bed in our Ellipse 42QD with memory foam. No problem at all when the bed folds to bring in the slide. Hated the air mattress.
Jerry

BTW, we bought our mattress from plushbeds.com, very satisfied with quality and service.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
BTW, we bought our mattress from plushbeds.com, very satisfied with quality and service.
Just curious, do you use the tie down/velcro strap across the bed before putting it in fold up position? Or does it just bend easily without? I have wondered how it would bend with the platform and stay "with" the platform.

Finally, would this only work with a memory foam mattress and not any other type conventional mattress?

W.D.
2014 Ellipse 42QD
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Also wondering, to be clear, I have the Select Comfort Ideal Rest air mattress.....is that one and the same as the Innomax? I take it that must be the parent company and Select Comfort is the model name? I haven't looked at my manual for the bed in a while and I can't recall.

Mine is "OK", I could take it or leave it. It takes some getting used to, it's a bit temperamental. I found it easiest to set memory for each side, then deflate daily and hit "memory" at bedtime. It holds pressure best that way and just seems like it "keeps it bearings". I always make sure once we're ON the bed I hit memory again. It senses your weight and will re-adjust to correct true preset pressure. I have also noticed if you get up, and return to bed, you have to hit memory yet again. You have to do this each time you get off and back on the bed to maintain exact memory setting. Lot of trial and error getting to that conclusion.

I don't know, some like it some hate it, like the Sleep Number. I wonder sometimes if it's all a gimmick though. I mean, if you find your sleep "number", then you most likely never change it, hence the memory feature. SO, what would be the difference then if you had a regular mattress with firmness or softness to your liking and be done with it?

I miss the under bed storage myself, but I plan to modify that.

W.D.
2014 Ellipse 42QD
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I guess I am opposite of most folks here. We had a sleep-number mattress in our 2003 Horizon and loved it. Got a competitor's brand (Sleep Better) for the home.(much, much cheaper) Liked it even better. When we moved into our current RV, I sold the stock memory foam mattress and installed the adjustable one from the house. I did the install work, placed holes in the sloping part of the plywood base so that the hoses would rise and fall with the mattress when we raised/lowered the bed to bring the slide in. Been living with it for 6 years full timing. Yes, a bit of a pain to deflate when bringing slide in, but best for going over mountains to be sure.

The bed mechanism has worked well, over the years, just very slow to move up or down.

About the changing pressure, yes when a storm front moves through, the pressure in the mattress changes as the outside air pressure does. But it just takes a click of a button for it to adjust to what each side is set for. Not a big deal at all.

Has it been trouble free, no, went through two side chambers that developed leaks (manufacturer replaced each, quickly, no charge under initial warranty.) One of the controls started acting up, not allowing memory to be set. Manufacturer sent two new controls and a new pump, small nominal charge, was at the 5year point. Great thing is, that after 9 years, the bed is working well, just as firm (or soft) as it was when brand new. Only problem is that the manufacturer seems to have been taken over by another mattress company now. But I have found compatible pumps, hoses, and controllers listed on eBay should I need them.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanx for all the feedback! This is my favorite RV forum. Lots of options it seems. Someone said they replaced theirs wit a memory foam mattress from Plush Beds. How thick is the replacement. I was thinking an eight inch mattress would work. Can't be any heavier/rigid than the Ideal Rest. Also, maybe cut the foam half way through where the bed tilt breaks.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Just curious, do you use the tie down/velcro strap across the bed before putting it in fold up position? Or does it just bend easily without? I have wondered how it would bend with the platform and stay "with" the platform.

Finally, would this only work with a memory foam mattress and not any other type conventional mattress?

W.D.
2014 Ellipse 42QD

I do not use the tie down strap. The brackets at the bottom of the bed hold the mattress in place when the bed is raised. We have the 8" mattress from plushbeds.com.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
cochise1949, looking at the drawing you would have to have someone build you a two part mattress with a hinge so the head end could lift up.

Not to restart the discussion but, could I buy a queen memory foam mattress and cut it where the bed hinges for the head tilt?
Old 04-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

cochise1949, as to the issue with the hoses not staying connected to the pump your best bet is what I did go to the web site "airbedsunlimited" and buy for $49 a pair of "cam loc connectors". They are vastly improved over the stock connectors and take about 5 minutes per hose to change, and requires a knife, wire cutters screwdriver, and hair dryer to soften the hoses. I replaced ALL 4 of them on out mattress and bot the DW and I love the mattress and have not had issue with the controllers requiring being reset. How well are the controllers plugged into the pump? could they be being knocked loose by a loose pump?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Did you replace with King or California King, and did it fit ok?
Thanks!
Slleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
Site Team

Slleach - that post you quoted is 2 years old as are all of the posts in this thread except yours. So... you may not get an answer.

We replaced our Ideal Rest because we hated it in general and one day the tilt bed platform pinched a remote control line and it was unusable. We figured that we shouldn't need electricity or remote controls to go to bed at night.

We replaced ours with a Leesa Mattress, one of the dozens of bed-in-a-box online sellers.

Sizing was an issue. The Ideal Rest King was 2" shorter and 2" narrower than a regular king. We got a California King which is 2" narrower but still 2" too long. Behind our bed on the wall we had a bolster and headboard that was 2" thick. We removed the bolster and the headboard. So, the fact that the Cali King was 2" too long didn't matter.

You can order custom mattresses online and order one to fit exactly, but we went with the bed in a box and it fits and works fine. Other's here have said, "Yeah, but what about folding it up with the tilt platform for travel with the slides in?" But we've had no problems with ours for 2 years.

https://www.leesa.com/products/leesa-mattress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leesa2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	173395  
Old 05-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #18
Site Team

Here's an online mattress maker that sells custom sizes for RVs.

https://www.mattressinsider.com