Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Great Service..at last!!!

We have been RV'rs for about 2 years now. Up until now I have been disgusted with the RV service industry. Over charging, poor workmanship, horrible customer relations, and the "if you don't like it, go someplace else" attitude.

The only providers I can say I am impressed with is Flying J, Irv2.com and American Technology Components.

I had the dreaded " bad hot water heater light switch" I called American Technology, the maker of the switch and they replaced the 5 year old switch for FREE, no hassle, and said there sorry!!!! They went on to say they wanted to change it to an LED but that Winnebago won't let them.

If anyone needs a light or switch, give these guys a chance http://www.atcomp.com/. There a class act.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyradar View Post
We have been RV'rs for about 2 years now. Up until now I have been disgusted with the RV service industry. Over charging, poor workmanship, horrible customer relations, and the "if you don't like it, go someplace else" attitude.

The only providers I can say I am impressed with is Flying J, Irv2.com and American Technology Components.

I had the dreaded " bad hot water heater light switch" I called American Technology, the maker of the switch and they replaced the 5 year old switch for FREE, no hassle, and said there sorry!!!! They went on to say they wanted to change it to an LED but that Winnebago won't let them.

If anyone needs a light or switch, give these guys a chance http://www.atcomp.com/. There a class act.

Great post. Giving those that stand behind their products a pat on the back is great and may just bring a few more into the camp. Your entire post rings very true.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyradar View Post
Portions snipped.

BS. Winnebago has NO SAY in how the company builds a product unless is is written into the purchase contract that the component cannot change. That would be unique.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
BS. Winnebago has NO SAY in how the company builds a product unless is is written into the purchase contract that the component cannot change. That would be unique.

Certainly you can imagine something like the following:

American Technology: We would like to change the water heater light switch to a newer, better LED design. The LED switch costs $5 more.
Winnebago: No, we won't pay the extra $5, even if it is better.

This is in all likelihood not a contract issue, but an economic one in which choices are made. American Technology should have made a better product but if Winnebago knows there is a problem and there is a proposed solution, even a costlier one, it has to share some blame.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post

Sorry HAMGUY, you are incorrect in your statement. I spent a considerable part of my life in manufacturing management. We usually told suppliers what we wanted, and how much we would pay for it. .05 cheaper over many thousand of pieces adds to the bottom line. If the supplier did not want to make it, he was eliminated. Generally he would be back the next bid session. Parts are usually good and better categorically.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
Certainly you can imagine something like the following:

American Technology: We would like to change the water heater light switch to a newer, better LED design. The LED switch costs $5 more.
Winnebago: No, we won't pay the extra $5, even if it is better.

This is in all likelihood not a contract issue, but an economic one in which choices are made. American Technology should have made a better product but if Winnebago knows there is a problem and there is a proposed solution, even a costlier one, it has to share some blame.
I suppose Winne would defer to paying more (I doubt that an LED lit switch is $5 more. More likely $1.00 more but it will have a lifetime 200 times longer. I would gladly pay a buck more for the reliability and customer satisfaction.

My experiences are based on 9 years as an ASQC quality engineer and a product manager in the semiconductor/aerospace business.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My experience is it depends on the particular manufacturer and the business line they are in. In an earlier life I worked for a semiconductor equipment mfr and they would gladly pay for a more reliable component.

Then I worked for 17 years for an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) mfr and they would not. I suspect that Winnebago is more at the UPS end of the spectrum than the semiconductor equipment and aerospace end.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Just in case anybody else needs to replace that switch, here's an earlier post of mine which describes how to do it: 110 volt water heater switch

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote