Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Good Sam? Or what?

Newbie trailer owner here. Sooooooo the Hubs and I plan to start this travel trailer experience by visiting different sites in our home state, New Mexico. We want to try sites with hook ups as well as dry camping. In addition I’m all about saving money. Should we join something like Good Sam’s club? What are other options? Advice from experienced trailer campers would be MUCH appreciated. Probably need to get a senior parks membership/pass? I’m so clueless/inexperienced in this area
CatnHubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Team

The Good Sam membership will save you 10% at many campgrounds. Usually, it saves the tax and not much else. But hey, that's something. ABQ has a Camping World so you'll save a little bit there with that same membership.

In general, many of us are not fans of Camping World/Good Sam BUT I'll bet that like me most of the detractors still carry a membership.

Lots of great camping in NM. We leave on Tuesday for a month long trip and we'll spend a week in ABQ and another in Santa Fe. with weeks in Arizona and Colorado in between those two spots.

We've stayed in lots of other places in NW but we always stop in ABQ on our way west and Santa Fe on our way back home. ABQ to visit with good friends and SF for the great food.

A Senior Pass (used to be called the Golden Age Passport) is always a good thing to have. You buy it once and it's good for life. There are not a great deal of places to use it in NM, but it will save you 50% of camping in National Forest campgrounds and free entrance to National Parks and Monuments. Really handy in Colorado and Utah. But best to get one now before they raise the price again. When I got mine it was $70 and now it's $80 + a $10 "handling fee." You get them at any National Park. I'd guess the three National Monuments in NM would sell them, too.

You can order them online and through the mail:
https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass
Old 04-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Living The Dream

Take a look at Passport America, 50% off at certain rv parks. Looks to be about 35 or so in New Mexico.

https://m.passport-america.com/

We have been members for about ten years now ... if you use it about twice in a year you’ve essentially paid for what it costs. Be aware some affiliated locations are nicer than others, quite a variance since these are all individually owned and operated parks.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

EXACTLY the info I was looking for! Thanks SO much!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Excellent! Thanks for the tip
Old 04-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We are Good Sam members. Yes, you get the 10% at a lot of campgrounds, but many also offer the same for AARP and AAA members. The GS does get you access to a little extra discount in the Camping World stores and (when they finally get it replaced; the temporary one is fairly poor) their on-line trip planner. You can access their campground database without being a member. The Trailer Life magazine is also worthwhile.

Double-thumbs-up for the National Parks Senior Pass.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
We are Good Sam members. Yes, you get the 10% at a lot of campgrounds, but many also offer the same for AARP and AAA members. The GS does get you access to a little extra discount in the Camping World stores and (when they finally get it replaced; the temporary one is fairly poor) their on-line trip planner. You can access their campground database without being a member. The Trailer Life magazine is also worthwhile.

Double-thumbs-up for the National Parks Senior Pass.
Love the AARP tip. The Hubs came home today w/the Nat Parks senior pass!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Avoid Good Sam products and especially Camping World. The 10% discount is in many places a sham because when they joined they raised their rates 10%. At least that's how it seems in many RV parks with GS sign out front. Like most parks nearby charge $35/night but the GS park is $37.50. I've seen that and similar many times. And as mentioned, those same parks often offer AAA or Veterans discounts too. But I use Passport America enough that it's paid for itself 10's of times over.

X3 on the Senior Pass being a good value.

Have fun on the road!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:04 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If you are planning on doing a lot of aping in NM they have a great state parks pass.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
KMG
Winnebago Camper

Newbie here. We joined Good Sam when we purchased supplies for our new trailer. I wouldn't join if I was to do it over. You will receive endless BS emails and snail mail from every business they sold your info to. I've also learned Camping World is a last resort retailer and emergency only service center for us.
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We joined camping world back when it was still a camping club, don't have much to do with them now days so we joined Escapees as they have get togethers, classes and also offer road side to their members. They fit us better now days. Not as many discount parks though so we use the good sam card for that.
Dave
harley-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I can't remember the last time we were in a CW or used our Good Sam Card.

We use Escapees mail service, their campgrounds and rally.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote