Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Please no politics! This is info only for those potentially buying a new RV in a couple years in CA.

In 2024 they need to meet more stringent air quality requirements, and in 2028 the need to be zero emission.

I plan on replacing my RV in 2024 so this will impact me and will be following it closely.

https://www.rvtravel.com/breaking-ne...ov3eEdDg%3D%3D

After reading down through the responses, all are focused on LP generator conversions. This is not an option for the DP world without a big expense. Please correct me if I'm wrong. LNG is another option, but availability is a problem. And, if I recall correctly, the DP power plant is not welcome in CA if it is not equipped with the 2010 emission control standards. Also, I think I read that ALL diesel motor vehicles will be tested at the CA borders when entering. Then there is the availability of fuel in CA. Gas, diesel, LP or LNG, where do you get it and how much do you pay?
There are many, many DP's on the road. CA will not be an option to visit as I see the law today. Not for the common folk in any case.
If one has enough money anything is possible. I don't fit in that elite group. I'm just a poor, retired old man living my dream with my DW.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Also, I think I read that ALL diesel motor vehicles will be tested at the CA borders when entering.
I think this is a mistaken perception. Please see post #58 here:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/cal...ml#post5677764

The post contains a response from the California Air Resources Board that states, in part:

"According to California's Truck & Bus Regulations, private-use motorhomes fall under excluded diesel vehicle reporting and do not need to comply. As of 2023, 2009 or older on-road diesel vehicles with a GVWR of 14000lbs will be non-compliant. Motorhomes are exempt from this regulation. To avoid issues with registration in California, these vehicles may enroll in the excluded diesel vehicle reporting system (linked below). Further information on excluded vehicles can also be found in the link below."

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/azregs/edvr.htm
Old 12-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #23
Site Team

Also, as noted below, diesel generators are not included in the 2028 ban…just gas and propane.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:36 AM   #24
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I think that generators that are permanently “mounted” in a vehicle may get a variance and be excluded from the hand held portable units.

Why? Because I think FORD, with its new truck, that includes an on-board generator, which would also be excluded, won’t let that happen—and they have deep enough pockets to sway the legislature with their lobbyists.

. https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/0...generator.html
Old 12-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I think that generators that are permanently “mounted” in a vehicle may get a variance and be excluded from the hand held portable units.

Why? Because I think FORD, with its new truck, that includes an on-board generator, which would also be excluded, won’t let that happen—and they have deep enough pockets to sway the legislature with their lobbyists.

The Ford "generator" isn't the same as a built in MH generator. It's a LiFePO4 battery plus an inverter that is charged by the truck's engine/alternator. There is no separate power plant as there is in the case of a MH generator. The Ford truck "generator" is no different than a generator-less MH with an inverter using it's chassis engine to provide the charge.

I agree with you that on-board MH generators may be excluded as the details of the regs are fleshed out.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #26
WinnieAdven38

1) From visiting a number of recent RV shows the trend - particularly amongst high end RVs - is to have no propane tanks at all. Many rigs have gone totally electric, relying on large LiFePO4 battery banks to power the residential refrigerator, water heater, furnace and induction cooktop.
2) However - they also realize that even with a good solar system one needs a generator (more than ever) to keep those batteries charged - either because one wants to park in the shade to keep the rig cooler, and believe it or not - even in California the sun does not always shine. (June Gloom / May Grey)
3) This regulation only applies to units sold in CA. So go buy your new rig in another state where such unrealistic silliness does not exist. One will save a lot on Sales Taxes, though the unit will have to be registered and stored in another state as well.
4) The regulation is particularly "dumb" when CA implies that there are electric replacement options for lawnmowers, lawn equipment and . . . generators. (really?)
5) Having lived in CA for many years you can rest assured that it will not be long before CA forbids any RV from entering the state which has a gas or diesel powered generator. They already tried to do that for Diesel powered motor homes - though that reg got pushed back - for a few years. It will be back.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post

Neither Ford, GM or ALL automobile manufacturers combined have enough lobbying power sway California legislators. The proof of that is the emission standards that ALL vehicle manufacturers struggled with for years. It wasn't until the advent of computerized engine control that manufacturers could comfortably comply with California emission standards. For years, certain vehicles were not even available in California.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #28
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Then, I’m going to write my representatives. This is silly. I rarely use my generator, but if I need it, it’s there. Many others rely on them to charge their batteries, some for life saving devices on board.
But first, I’m going to read the full text of the law, to see the exact wording.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Wouldn't it be nice if people checked their "facts" before posting? California only checks for produce coming in across the state border and nothing else. Small engines produce far more pollution and that is what is being targeted. This has been done for lawnmowers and leaf blowers and not surprising that gas or diesel powered generators are also a concern.

With a new motorhome it is most likely that even the vehicles with diesel engines will need to have propane fueled generators and larger propane tanks. With the solar panels and lithium battereries in our Navion the only time we need to run the generator is when we are boondocking and want to run the AC with is something that occurs rarely.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:39 PM   #30
Site Team

Note that diesel generators are exempt from the legislation, which only includes gas and propane powered generators.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

There continues to be conflicting information circulating in this thread. Here's a 12/10/21 article from RV Miles that states:

1. The ruling bans the sale of gas-powered leaf blowers and lawnmowers in the state beginning in 2024. Portable generators will be required to meet more stringent standards in 2024 and meet zero-emission standards starting in 2028.

2. The new regulation does not apply to diesel or propane generators, but it will apply to gasoline generators mounted in an RV.

https://rvmiles.com/california-generator-ban/

Also, here's a link to an article from RV Business:

https://rvbusiness.com/despite-rv-in...an-generators/
Old 12-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
There continues to be conflicting information circulating in this thread. Here's a 12/10/21 article from RV Miles that states:

1. The ruling bans the sale of gas-powered leaf blowers and lawnmowers in the state beginning in 2024. Portable generators will be required to meet more stringent standards in 2024 and meet zero-emission standards starting in 2028.

2. The new regulation does not apply to diesel or propane generators, but it will apply to gasoline generators mounted in an RV.

https://rvmiles.com/california-generator-ban/

Also, here's a link to an article from RV Business:

https://rvbusiness.com/despite-rv-in...an-generators/
There is much more to this story. The restrictions and excessive cost on fuel supplies is also a major concern for those with retirement income who wish to visit CA. There is just too much volatility in the regulations for me to trust that I will have a hassle free visit to the once fine state of CA. You won't see me on the west coast till things get back to reasonable, if that ever can happen.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
There is just too much volatility in the regulations for me to trust that I will have a hassle free visit to the once fine state of CA.
You realize that:

1. If this rule goes through... it may not.. it doesn't take effect for 6 more years.

2. No one is stopping RVs at the border to check for this equipment and it's surely not going to apply to people visiting from out of state.

It's so easy to read these kinds of "news" stories and get all head up, and that may be exactly why some news sources put the story out. But, it's always best to wait, see what happens and don't make rash decisions based on a link you saw on the internet.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #34
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
… snipped …

It's so easy to read these kinds of "news" stories and get all head up, and that may be exactly why some news sources put the story out. But, it's always best to wait, see what happens and don't make rash decisions based on a link you saw on the internet.
Good advice no matter which state is being referenced! Always better to have facts rather than just opinions that you think may support how you might lean.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:58 PM   #35
Site Team

Here is the latest and best news I’ve seen on the issue. Since I’m a CA resident I will continue to follow the issue closely.
Al

Old 12-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You realize that:

1. If this rule goes through... it may not.. it doesn't take effect for 6 more years.

2. No one is stopping RVs at the border to check for this equipment and it's surely not going to apply to people visiting from out of state.

Safety is also in the back of my mind with what I have said. Need I say more?
Old 12-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Not really going to matter to us. If we are banned from entering California, for any reason, we'll take our money to 49 of the other United States. Need a long snorkel to get to Hawaii.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Electric vehicles don't eliminate pollution, they just displace it. In the case of California, electric generation is moved to Nevada and transferred to California over high tension lines, which cause wildfires. It's the "not in my backyard" syndrome.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #39
Site Team

All, I’m closing this thread as there will be no new news for awhile and to avoid political posts. Cheers and happy New Year!
Closed Thread

Tags
generator