Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator not connccting to power coach

We have a 2006 Itasca Ellipse with Onan 7500 generator.
It runs great but no longer connects to power the rv. Just runs but no voltage to operate rv. Anyone have advise. Thx
Kinch
Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
check the breakers ON the genny.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:20 PM   #3

rk911 is probably right. If that does not work then you should do a search on how to look for Onan 7.5K Fault Codes.

Is still no go, then you might go to this thread to review the power grid diagrams I posted there... which probably apply to your coach too?

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3886266
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would first check the power transfer switch. This switch transfers shore power over to genset and sometimes they stick. If that's the case it would act like you describe.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
Travato 59K

I agree with checking the power transfer switch also called the ATS or automatic transfer switch. It’s usual position is in the shore power mode so when you turn the generator on, and it warms up, you should hear a “click” where the ATS is, indicating that it has switched to generator mode. Check the breaker on the genny first, because that is the easiest.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I agree with checking the power transfer switch also called the ATS or automatic transfer switch. It’s usual position is in the shore power mode so when you turn the generator on, and it warms up, you should hear a “click” where the ATS is, indicating that it has switched to generator mode. Check the breaker on the genny first, because that is the easiest.
Where is the ATS switch located?
Thank you.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
Travato 59K

I don’t know what coach you have. The ATS is located in different places in different RVs. You should go into the Winnebago owners site and download the wiring diagrams for your coach. It will show you where all the components are located.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinch View Post
Where is the ATS switch located?
Thank you.
typically it will be close to the power bay but you can just listen to see if the switch is working before tearing apart the bay.

the ATS is an electromagnet that directs power from either the post or the generator to the AC circuits in your RV. when you plug into and disconnect from the electrical post the electromagnet will make a loud "thunk" noise. it may take several seconds for the magnet to sense power from the post.

to test the EM have someone plug into shore power while you stand near the electrical bay. if you hear the 'thunk' a few seconds after the connection to shore power is made then the electromagnet is working. similarly when shore power is removed you should hear the same 'thunk' only this time it will be near instantaneous.

if, after checking and re-setting the circuit breakers on the genny and hearing the 'thunk' of the EM, you still have no AC power in the coach when running the genny then i'd next open up (or have a qualified tech open up) the ATS to check the connections. these connections can become corroded or come loose over time. this same step would be next if you don't hear the 'thunk' of the EM.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thsjs

Thank you all for info
Will go down list and let you know what the issue was. Best to you all.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The coach is an Itasca Ellipse 40 ft 2006
Old 01-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
typically it will be close to the power bay but you can just listen to see if the switch is working before tearing apart the bay.

the ATS is an electromagnet that directs power from either the post or the generator to the AC circuits in your RV. when you plug into and disconnect from the electrical post the electromagnet will make a loud "thunk" noise. it may take several seconds for the magnet to sense power from the post.

to test the EM have someone plug into shore power while you stand near the electrical bay. if you hear the 'thunk' a few seconds after the connection to shore power is made then the electromagnet is working. similarly when shore power is removed you should hear the same 'thunk' only this time it will be near instantaneous.

if, after checking and re-setting the circuit breakers on the genny and hearing the 'thunk' of the EM, you still have no AC power in the coach when running the genny then i'd next open up (or have a qualified tech open up) the ATS to check the connections. these connections can become corroded or come loose over time. this same step would be next if you don't hear the 'thunk' of the EM.
Check breaker. It’s on (turned it on and off several times)
Got the ‘think went plugging and unplugging shore power.
Still no joy.
ATS is located in the power bay on my Itasca. Next step is check connections in ATS.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post

Still no joy.
ATS is located in the power bay on my Itasca. Next step is check connections in ATS.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure the generator is actually producing AC voltage?
If there are any electrical outlets on the generator itself, try plugging something in to one and see if it works.
Remember, a generator is actually a two part device: the part that produces the power, and the engine which drives that part.
From your description, all we can say for sure is that the engine on the generator is running.
On my former ‘99 DSDP, I had a similar symptom occur twice over the 10 year period that I owned the coach. The generator was an Onan propane powered one.
Since the rig routinely sat for months at a time without being used, I had to re-flash the magnets in the generator. The first time it happened, I did it by accident when troubleshooting the unit using my analog voltmeter set to read resistance.
I measured across the brush to armature junction and tried the generator.
VOILA! voltage!
The next time I went straight to this step and fixed the problem.
Hope tha helps!
Bob
Old 02-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
We have a 2006 Itasca Ellipse with Onan 7500 generator.
It runs great but no longer connects to power the rv. Just runs but no voltage to operate rv. Anyone have advise. Thx
Kinch
Your electrical cord that you use to get power from shore need to be plugged back to the couch, to comply the circuit. After that, you can start your gen.
Iony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Still no joy.
ok. one thing...we've had three MHs...two 30-amp and nor a 50-amp coach. in each of them there were/are TWO circuit breakers ON the genny. your reply implied you online re-set one.

assuming there is just one CB and you're hearing the thunk then the next step is to open the ATS and check the connections for corrosion and tightness.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Still no joy.
One of the most common failures of the ATS is loose connections. After that is a failed relay or other component.
If you can, after correcting any heat damage from loose connections, if any, try your generator ATS switch again. If it still fails use a meter to measure the incoming voltage from the generator to be certain it is getting that far. There is a 4x4 connection box near the generator area connecting the generator feed and the coach wiring together. This is a potential problem area. FYI: The generator puts out 2 ea 120V lines as apposed to a common neutral 240 x120/N/120 pastille feed. So, you will read 0V between the Gen L1 & L2. This is normal.
Have fun troubleshooting and stay safe. Look forward to hearing your find and fix.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iony View Post
Your electrical cord that you use to get power from shore need to be plugged back to the couch, to comply the circuit. After that, you can start your gen.
not on this MH. it is equipped with an automatic txfr switch.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Still no joy.
When ready to check the transfer switch, these are the connections to check.
With cord plugged into shore power , there should be 120 volt AC on the connections at the left that I marked in blue as that is where the power goes out of the switch to the coach and I think you've said it works okay when plugged.

Then when you unplug and start the generator, we want to still see power at those two points but that seems to be the problem so move to check it is getting to the switch at the connections on the right marked in blue.
We often worry about the hot leads but we also need to have the ground good to make things work so putting one meter lead on the ground and the other on power will make sure that is right, but then you should see power at the two marked as coming FROM the generator.

Click the picture for a better view!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ats.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	177126  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I started the gen yesterday and it fed the MH power. Tried again today, no joy.
Opening up ATS tomorrow and check connections.
Thank you all for your input and info. Very informative and helpful.
The sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t is a head scratcher.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Yes, intermit is definitely a bigger problem but one thing you might be finding is a loose connection as changes in temperature, etc. can change when/how they make the connection.
One good idea when you open the transfer switch and while there, is to make sure all the connections are screwed down tight as it may be as simple as the wire touches at times and doesn't at other times. Maybe look for any signs of arcing, etc while there? Heating and cooling can make a wire swell or shrink ----just enough!

Just often enough to drive us crazy???
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power