Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2022, 05:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Generator/air conditioner problem

Hello I started my generator and then the air conditioner. The generator was struggling so I turned it off. Just started it about three weeks ago all was fine. It is under a cover but it is very hot here today. Any ideas? Thank you in advance. Of course getting ready for a 10 day trip.
Kingsmen55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not much info to really go to far but one thing which may have been going on?

The AC takes lots of 110AC power, so if there are other loads that are drawing power, it may be a case of getting close to the limit of what the Generator can do.
Just a thought to review but one of those items also drawing power may have been the converter which uses 110 AC to make the 12VDC to charge the batteries.
Is it possible the coach batteries were also somewhat heavily run down,so that the converter was using more than normal AC to get them charged up quickly?

That "might " be something if you did not have some form of charging going on while the RV was stored for some time??
Most RV will have some small battery drains, even when the coach battery disconnect is throw. Those are safety items like the CO and propane detectors as well as other possible small parasites!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Give the gen a moment or two to get up to speed before turning on any loads . Then one at a time . A/C , WH ,and charger are your biggest loads .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #4
1996 Itasca 29Q

I live on the west coast at sea level and recently I travelled to the prairies and the generator wouldn't run right, I discovered the altitude adjustment on the generator carburetor was set for sea level. When I changed it to 2000 feet the generator ran like a dream!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:03 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Check the capacitor in your A/C unit. About a year ago, I had the same issue. Took my RV to a Cummins dealer and had the generator checked out. Generator was fine. Checked the capacitor in the A/C unit and the capacitor was bad. Replaced it and everything was fine. Several YouTube videos on how to check the capacitor with a multimeter if you do not know how. Only takes a few minutes and will not cost you anything to check (as long as you have a multimeter). Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had to replace the capacitor on my AC. Some AC units have a start capacitor and a run capacitor. Some have one capacitor for both starting and running. They aren't too expensive and not hard to replace.

Tags
air conditioner, generator