Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

After priming, holding the start button will start the generator but as soon as you remove your finger, the generator stops.

A factor to consider: Close lightening strike with RV pulled into house power. Lost TV in house among other things, like rear air on RV runs but compressor doesn't.

Any ideas anyone?
antec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

After priming, holding the start button will start the generator but as soon as you remove your finger, the generator stops.

A factor to consider: Close lightening strike with RV pulled into house power. Lost TV in house among other things, like rear air on RV runs but compressor doesn't.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On an Onan generator, the most common cause of the symptoms you describe would be no generator output voltage. Check with a meter. If you do have the proper output, generator control circuit probably got some of that lightning. If voltage is low or none at all, time to do the trouble shooting, might be the voltage regulator, rotor, stator or even the control board. Guess you could start replacing components, one at a time until you get the right one, I'd trouble shoot it. Lightning strike, could be anything or multiple failures.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

antec7,

Sorry to hear you're in problems, but would offer some thoughts: 1) the generator is demonstrating a pretty classic failure mode for a control board; if you're handy, you can get the service manual from Onan, and perform the trouble shooting section to define for sure what the issue is, if not, I would suggest a local Onan service center; 2) your AC may have lost the PTCR, a little black device located on top of the capacitor, or simply lost the starting capacitor. Again if you're handy, they are pretty easy to trouble shoot with a multi-meter.

If you haven't thought about it, you may first want to contact your insurance carrier as we have had several customers with similar problems that did receive relief from their insurance companies.

If I can assist any further, let me know.

Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Possibly have A 1/4 tank of fuel, that's when mine won't start....

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We just went through a similar situation on our Onan 7.5 Kw. It would start then stumble, then stop. Turned out to be low oil. The oil was brought up to the proper level and everything is a-ok.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the tips.
Gas tank is full and oil in generator is fine. Must fall somewhere in the electrical. Think I will try the insurance route for now, maybe take it to CampingWorld. If insurance won't help, I'll have to do a bit of troubleshooting I guess.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Where able to get any falure code?

05 Kountry Star 3910
Nick and Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My guess is the voltage regulator. Not cheap but easy to replace.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Had similar problem with 5KW and it was the voltage regulator. ($508.00 Cdn). easy to change.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If it is the voltage regulator. Do the trouble shooting/diagnostics first or you might spend a lot to fix this thing. If it's the stator windings or rotor, you'll put in the new regulator and be disappointed, then have to pull the generator out and crack it apart. Can go from bad to worse quick.

I'd get one from Flight Systems. Less costly than one from Onan, better warranty and a better built product. Real nice folks to deal with also, way bettter than any Onan dealer I've ever come across.

Where are you located? If close, I'd check it for you. If you don't mind, include your location in yor profile.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote