Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We have had several grills over the years and one of our RV's had the propane connection that allowed a direct hookup. I didn't think it was worth it because the hose never reaches a picnic table away from the RV and if it does it is a tripping hazzard. We did have a rack on the side of the RV that would hold a grill, but I was always afraid of the heat so close to the RV.
Our answer was to buy a 5# (1 gallon) Manchester gas bottle and use that with our grill. It fits easily in the storage compartments, is easy to carry, and we just fill it whenever we fill the built in tank. We have a stainless steel NexGrill that we have been happy with and we have had the grill and gas bottle through 2 RV's now.
My thoughts, exactly. The quick disconnect sounds like a good deal but it's so limiting. And I, too, was always wary of the potential fire hazard. I have a Coleman "propane distribution tree" that attaches to my portable tank allowing me to run multiple appliances all at the same time. The thing to remember is to only have your small tank filled when you're filling another tank since it's likely to be below the minimum sales amount unless it's at least a "standard" 20 lb tank.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
KMG
Winnebago Camper

I purchased a Weber Q grill and planed to convert it to attach to my trailer's quick connect propane but decided to try it with a one pound bottle first. Like others have stated, I found the ability to set up for grilling away from the trailer is very convenient. Enough so that I'm leaving my grill stock. Question, would it be possible to make a quick disconnect adaptor to refill the one pound bottles from the trailer's propane supply or due to being after the trailer's regulator wouldn't allow enough pressure to fill a bottle? Thanks
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
For this one, once you install it, are you committed to use the motorcoach port? I don't see where you can go back to the green bottle if you want.

It is essentially one way but you can buy adapters that have regulators you can use to hook up to the 1 lb cylinders and larger LP tanks. I've thought about getting the one that would let me hook our RV adapted grill to the 1 lb cylinder for picnics.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #24
KMG
Winnebago Camper

Would it be possible to refill the one pound bottles from the trailer's propane quick disconnect supply or no you can't due to the connection being after the trailer's regulator? Thanks
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
Would it be possible to refill the one pound bottles from the trailer's propane quick disconnect supply or no you can't due to the connection being after the trailer's regulator? Thanks
I believe these are non-refillable and I wouldn't do a DIY propane bottle fill. Last year I went to a local propane shop and bought a 30 (or 40??) foot hose for my portable grill. It wasn't cheap but gives me ample length to reach a campsite picnic table.
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
You wont be able to refill the disposable bottle from your rv tank since that is propane gas (not liquid) coming out. While it is not recommended there are kits (and videos) on refilling the bottles from a 20lb tank turned upside down so you are getting liquid propane to transfer. Not neccesarily quick and you can get the bottle mostly refilled but you are doing everything at your own risk.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #27
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
My thoughts, exactly. The quick disconnect sounds like a good deal but it's so limiting. And I, too, was always wary of the potential fire hazard. I have a Coleman "propane distribution tree" that attaches to my portable tank allowing me to run multiple appliances all at the same time. The thing to remember is to only have your small tank filled when you're filling another tank since it's likely to be below the minimum sales amount unless it's at least a "standard" 20 lb tank.
There are some dealers who charge the same rate for filling a 20# bottle regardless of how much gas it takes. However many campgrounds and RV service facilites charge by the gallon and I have never been charged a minimum to fill the 5# container. However I do mostly fill it when toping off the built in tank (or top off the big tank when I need the small one filled). It is just common courtesy to the vendor to do that.

There are kits that will let you add gas to the small green bottles from a 20# bottle. However I understand, from people who have done it, that you can only get them about half full and that seems like more trouble than its worth.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #28
Barry

2006 Winnebago Sightseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksteer View Post
Hello to all , newb to all of this. I have a 18 lbs propane tank and I just found a little compartment on the side of the rig with a connection for a grill. I like cooking out. What would be a good choice or brand for a grill. Just 2 of us and a dog. Thanks

Where did you find the propane connection?
drjusabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Tried Both Types

Our last Adventurer came with a gas grill that connected to the RV propane tank. It worked well. but was heavy, the hose was stiff, and it limited where you put the grill. Then someone trips on the hose! Yikes, flying gas grill and steaks!

We went back to using the inexpensive grills that use the screw on, small propane bottles. The bottles last a long time and provide plenty of heat to sear your steaks. i found it to be much quicker and easier to set up as well as lighter weight. You're usually cooking for two, but we have barbecued for 6 with burgers and hot dogs and it worked fine. A lot safer too.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #30
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Not trying to hijack this thread; I have a Weber Q1200, but am considering the new
Weber Traveler Portable Gas Grill.
Love the look of it and compact size (especially low profile). Of course Weber cannot supply any product at this time.

I am curious; anyone have any experience with this new Weber?
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Our last Adventurer came with a gas grill that connected to the RV propane tank. It worked well. but was heavy, the hose was stiff, and it limited where you put the grill. Then someone trips on the hose! Yikes, flying gas grill and steaks!

We went back to using the inexpensive grills that use the screw on, small propane bottles. The bottles last a long time and provide plenty of heat to sear your steaks. i found it to be much quicker and easier to set up as well as lighter weight. You're usually cooking for two, but we have barbecued for 6 with burgers and hot dogs and it worked fine. A lot safer too.
We dumped our gas grill. We’re loving our Blackstone 17” griddle with side burner. It is more versatile for cooking virtually anything, sets up easy, plugging right into the lp quick disconnect, or to a spare 20# lp bottle. And cleanup is soooo much easier. Now we can cook all meals outside. Weighs under 30lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34086EB8-1141-4473-BE68-6E6834490B8C.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	179949  
Old 07-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

I don't want to start a controversy regarding which is best, a gas grill or a gas griddle. Just do some research. Restaurants for the most part use a griddle. The choice of grill versus griddle is yours to make and the both do what they are supposed to do.

I will say this. I own both but only take the Blackstone Adventure 22" Griddle with me in the motorhome. I much prefer it over the grill. For me, it is easier clean up and easier to cook on.

If considering price, the Weber is $325 and the Blackstone 22" Adventure, with stand and propane bottle adapter hose is $174. Not a bad savings

Do some research and Youtube videos and then make the decision. Either way is a good choice,

Some reading material
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:32 AM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

If considering price, the Weber is $325 and the Blackstone 22" Adventure, with stand and propane bottle adapter hose is $174. Not a bad savings

Some reading material
To be fair, the Weber Q1000 is $189 (I paid $179 last October) and has a 95% 4-5 star rating.

Agree that you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

You are correct on the price of a q1000 but he ws considereing a weber traveler portable and it is around $325,
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas