Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Daysu47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 122
Gas gauge fix

Noticed after returning from vacation that the gas gauge was not working correctly.
Normally, after fill up would travel about 130 miles before needle would move off the full mark, then work normally. Usually would fill up at 450 miles, gauge would be at about the 1/4 mark.
Now after fill up needle would go to same location after fill up then about about 70 miles later the needle would jump to a needles width past 1/2 full and stay there. I have traveled about 200 mile and the needle has not moved.

Anyone had this problem, is it the sender? gauge? ground? etc. Steps to correct?? Suggestion to repair??

Any help would be apprecated.

Thanks,
__________________
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
Harry B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 358
I would check the wiring to the tank for open or shorted situations and either the guage or float inside the fuel tank could be haning up. Is this a diesel?
__________________
Harry
2015 Tuscany 40 KQ
2013 Honda CR-V
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Daysu47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
I would check the wiring to the tank for open or shorted situations and either the guage or float inside the fuel tank could be haning up. Is this a diesel?
No, please see signature for model. Also, dash gauges are analog.

Thanks,
David
__________________
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
DAN L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysu47 View Post
Noticed after returning from vacation that the gas gauge was not working correctly.
Normally, after fill up would travel about 130 miles before needle would move off the full mark, then work normally. Usually would fill up at 450 miles, gauge would be at about the 1/4 mark.
Now after fill up needle would go to same location after fill up then about about 70 miles later the needle would jump to a needles width past 1/2 full and stay there. I have traveled about 200 mile and the needle has not moved.

Anyone had this problem, is it the sender? gauge? ground? etc. Steps to correct?? Suggestion to repair??

Any help would be apprecated.

Thanks,
in my cars i have had similar problems over the years.
i found that i had wet gasoline.
i resolved the problem by adding SEAFOAM motor treatment fuel additive to the gas tank. i used 1-2 oz. of seafoam per gallon of fuel. many auto supply and marine supply stores sell seafoam.
check:
Sea Foam Sales - Motor Treatment/Deep Creep/Trans Tune/Bugs-B-Gone - Sea Foam
__________________
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
Duner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 532
Procedure to Test the Fuel Gauge

I'm assuming you have a Workhorse (suggest you add W22 to your signature).

This is from the Actia manual to test the gauges:
"On-board diagnostic functions are displayed in the message center. They can be accessed if the vehicle transmission is in PARK or if the vehicle PARK BRAKE is set and the MODE switch is pressed and held for at least 5 seconds. To exit diagnostics, select “EXIT MENU” or turn the vehicle ignition off then back on."
Scroll down to "Cluster Diagnostic", then select "Gauge Test".

The gauges will show 0%, 50%, and 100%.
__________________
Bill & Helen, Last of the Chieftains, 2004 39T, W22, UltraPower, Banks Headers, Koni's, Safe-T-Plus, SMI Stay-n-Play, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid towed 4-down
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-picture97.jpg
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
Daysu47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 122
Thanks Duner for the reply, but, Huhhhh??? I am not very savy when it comes to stuff like this.

Message center?? Where?
Mode switch?? Where?
Gauges will show 0%, 50%, 100%?? Meaning?

I guess I need alittle more direction. I really appreicate your help, but please bear with me, once it is explained so the simple mind can understand it I too, down the road, will be helpful in this area.

Waiting direction.

Again thanks,

David
__________________
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
Duner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 532
Message center?? Where?
It's your display just below the Speedometer ie PRND123 and trip display. In the Workhorse Owners Manual you will find it can display many functions. See page 1-62 thru 1-75.

Mode switch?? Where?
It's the rubber pushbutton just to the right of the display "TRIP" button is there too.

Gauges will show 0%, 50%, 100%?? Meaning?
All gauges will jump to min, max and 1/2 reading.
The gas gauge will show Empty, 1/2, and Full.
__________________
Bill & Helen, Last of the Chieftains, 2004 39T, W22, UltraPower, Banks Headers, Koni's, Safe-T-Plus, SMI Stay-n-Play, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid towed 4-down
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-picture97.jpg
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 895
I can send you a PDF file copy of the Actia service manual if you want it.
If you do want it, send me a private message with your email address and I will send it to you.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Daysu47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 122
I guess I need to read my manuals, it's amazing what one can learn by reading!!! I had no idea it had a message center, sounds like fun!!

Thanks Duner and Clay for the info!! Clay, I sent you the PM.

Thanks guys, we'll see what I find out and will let ya know.

David
__________________
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
Daysu47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 122
Thanks to all that responded to help but , as noted in my last post, these gauges are analog. There is no message center or mode switch.
Well, I guess, back to the same question.....

Any ideas on the malfunction of the ANALOG gas gauge as explained???

Thanks to all,

David
__________________
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master
 
DAN L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysu47 View Post
Thanks to all that responded to help but , as noted in my last post, these gauges are analog. There is no message center or mode switch.
Well, I guess, back to the same question.....

Any ideas on the malfunction of the ANALOG gas gauge as explained???

Thanks to all,

David
did you try the seafoam yet?
__________________
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
Daysu47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 122
Not yet, been busy campin. Also, gage seems normal now, will see if it gets below half this time. Will research your suggestion, then consider.

Thanks for all the help.
__________________
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
Rick Stephenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Broadview Heights, Ohio
Posts: 17
I have a 2003 Adventurer on a Workhorse chassis and my gas gauge is not only unreliable but entertaining. Even though I had the Actia module replaced, for the first 15 - 18 gallons, the gauge creeps along, then as you get closer to 1/2 a tank and then a 1/4 of a tank, the needle "picks up speed". Also, about 10 minutes or so after a fill up, the fuel gauge will drop to Empty, the Low Fuel warning will display on the message center with the chimes going for about 10 seconds, then the sound stops, the message disappears, and the gauge returns to Full. Just too much fun to be legal.
Rick Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Master
 
Duner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Stephenson View Post
I have a 2003 Adventurer on a Workhorse chassis and my gas gauge is not only unreliable but entertaining. Even though I had the Actia module replaced, for the first 15 - 18 gallons, the gauge creeps along, then as you get closer to 1/2 a tank and then a 1/4 of a tank, the needle "picks up speed". Also, about 10 minutes or so after a fill up, the fuel gauge will drop to Empty, the Low Fuel warning will display on the message center with the chimes going for about 10 seconds, then the sound stops, the message disappears, and the gauge returns to Full. Just too much fun to be legal.
For sure the gas gauge doesn't move in a nice linear motion. What you describe is pretty much normal for all of us. The first time I decided to push it close to empty to get home without a stop to fill up, it got real scarry how fast the neddle was dropping.

One thing you can do is run it down as close to 1/2 on the gauge and then note how many gallons it takes to fill it up. I think you'll find that it is pretty close to 37.5 gallons. So the remaining gas is 1/2 even though the gauge drops fast. Do same around "E" and see how many gal are really left in the tank. That's one way to get "calibrated" to your coach.

The bells/whistles/flashing lights/gauges going to zero is also a normal quirk we have to live with. There's some kind of data bus collision between the ECM and Actia that has never gotten resolved. When the Actia software sees this, it resets and goes back to normal. It seems like I used to get it once every 3 or 4 trips ..... now I bet it has been 6 or 8 months of fulltiming since it last happened to me..... go figure.

DriVer can straighten me out if I got any facts distorted in this reply.
__________________
Bill & Helen, Last of the Chieftains, 2004 39T, W22, UltraPower, Banks Headers, Koni's, Safe-T-Plus, SMI Stay-n-Play, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid towed 4-down
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-picture97.jpg
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post

The bells/whistles/flashing lights/gauges going to zero is also a normal quirk we have to live with. There's some kind of data bus collision between the ECM and Actia that has never gotten resolved. When the Actia software sees this, it resets and goes back to normal. It seems like I used to get it once every 3 or 4 trips ..... now I bet it has been 6 or 8 months of fulltiming since it last happened to me..... go figure.
There is a fix for the problem now. It involves a re-flash of the Actia eprom. I understand it's been out for a year or so but I found out about it at the Winnebago Grand National Rally last July. The Workhorse people offered to do the re-flash but we couldn't get our schedules to match up.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Gauge not reading correctly FirstMH Winnebago General Discussions 6 12-15-2014 03:18 PM
Gas gauge went to empty Winnebago General Discussions 8 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×