Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Went to a Winnebago dealer the other day. Looked at the new MH's. Asked how much more for the full body paint. Said it depended on MFG.($2,000.0 to $6,000.0) Asked why we had to have full body paint. Said you can get it without. They just order them with. So if you have a choice. Is it realy worth all that extra $$$ and work to keep up the finnish?
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Went to a Winnebago dealer the other day. Looked at the new MH's. Asked how much more for the full body paint. Said it depended on MFG.($2,000.0 to $6,000.0) Asked why we had to have full body paint. Said you can get it without. They just order them with. So if you have a choice. Is it realy worth all that extra $$$ and work to keep up the finnish?
2010 Ford Flex
Old 05-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The advantages of the full body paint are that it does not yellow and it looks flashy. Although I swore we would never spend money for full body paint we ended up getting it on our new coach. The main reason we got it is that it was last of the 2005's and it had 2004 pricing (ordered before increases) so the dealer made us a great deal. The list price for the 37DB was the same as a 2005 34XB (this is what we were looking for). So we upgraded size and full body paint for what we would have paid for a smaller coach without the paint. If we hadn't gotten this deal we would not have gone for the full body paint. Yes, the rubber yellows, but I am not sure if it's worth $6,000 which is the going rate for the units we looked at: Winnebago Adventurer/Suncruiser; Newmar Mountain Aire and the Allegro Bay.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

if you can afford it... it sure looks pretty!!

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
doc
Winnebago Owner

I would give 2 grand in a heart beat for full body paint. Six grand is another question. If you can afford it, get it!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:23 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Just seams all the dealers buy full body paint RV's to sell. Full body paint shows dirt and scratches more. $$ for full body paint could be put into more usefull items on RV or on a trip useing it.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 05-21-2005, 05:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Should be at least enough savings for a tank of gas/deisel.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:53 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Full body paint does cost more initially, but it's in demand. Later on, when it's rtesale time you'll get some of that back. Plus it'll be easier to resell your coach. So that "somewhat" offsets the initial cost.

As to looks - sure it looks great, that's why everyone wants it. As to how much that's worth to you - only you can decide. Personally, I like it and will pay for it because it's just one more thing to like in my coach. If I have enough pride in all the little things maybe I'll be more apt to take care of it.

It's much easier to care for the full body paint than my previous gel coat fiberglass. After 18 months on the Suncruiser I could see the fading in the decals that were used in a non-full body paint coach. I could also see plenty of surface defects and checks in the glossy gel coat finish and chips were harder to cover. With full body paint you just care for it like any other automobile or truck and wax accordingly. Another advantage is that many RV manufacturers include the 3M or Diamond Shield anti-chip coating on the front to keep it looking sharp.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Went to a Winnebago dealer the other day. Looked at the new MH's. Asked how much more for the full body paint. Said it depended on MFG.($2,000.0 to $6,000.0) Asked why we had to have full body paint. Said you can get it without. They just order them with. So if you have a choice. Is it realy worth all that extra $$$ and work to keep up the finnish? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Full body paint is easier to maintain than plain fiberglass. Don't for get to add the $1200 front mask option.

In my opinion it is worth the costs. Less maintenance, much sharper looks and much greater resale.

You can't take it($) with you when your time is up.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I don't think I would get Full Body Paint on a Winnebago product, If you add eternabond to keep your roof seams from separating & leaking it wouldn't look too good. (wouldn't match unless you had it painted)
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Full body paint is not only easier to care for, but easier to repair. A fiberglass repair job can be smoothed down and pained just like any Corvette body repair job.

Walt
Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Guess I am the odd one here. I see it as more work. Cleaning and waxing. I just use car wash soap with wax in it now. No hand waxing. Have heard from some owners with full body paint. That washing useing a soft brusch will give your brusch marks. Also I am not one to do what others do unless I want to. Not a follower.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 05-22-2005, 04:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> posted May 21, 2005 10:54 PM
I don't think I would get Full Body Paint on a Winnebago product, If you add eternabond to keep your roof seams from separating & leaking it wouldn't look too good. (wouldn't match unless you had it painted) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not buying a $163,000 coach and then putting eternal bond on it.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 AM   #14

My husband loves the Full Body Paint on our Adventurer. On our previous motorhome we had the Gel Coat finish which he found quite frustrating to maintain. The denim color scheme acts like a mirror and doubles the view of all the beautiful and wonderful places we go to in our Winnebago. It is so good looking we traded in our white Jeep Liberty (a back breaker) for a storm grey Saturn Vue (lighter and much more comfortable) to complete the color scheme. WOW! Do we look good driving down the road. People are constantly telling us how attractive the coach is.
MissEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I have the full body paint on my '04 Vectra. Good luck on getting any little bottles of touchup paint to cover up nicks & scratches. I'm being quoted $400.00 for a touchup kit, with a minimum of 1 gallon per color! Mine has 4 colors!

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Having a matching toad is kind of cool. Part of the reason we chose the NASA color scheme on our Bus was so that it matched the Jeep. Now if we trade the Jeep I hope we don't have to buy a new motorhome. Using that rational I guess we'll have to stay with silver the rest of our lives.

PDB - You've gotta find a better paint supply house if they are quoting you $400.

Our Allegro Bus came with 4 bottles of touch up paint as standard equipment. If I need more I can get them from Tiffin for under $10 a bottle.

When I added two MaxAir turbo roof vent covers for over the FanTastic fans I went to our automotive paint supply place. I ordered 4 quarts of DuPont ChromeBase (one of each color), 1 gallon of reducer, 1 gallon of polyurethane clearcoat, and a bottle of activator so that I could spray them to match and have extra paint on hand. That whole bill was a touch over $300.

I once had them mix me the touch up paint for my Suncruiser and they charged around $15 a bottle.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:32 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

PDB,

A touch-up kit was supplied by Winnebago for my Meridian. It was in the black bag.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have the full body paint on my '04 Vectra. Good luck on getting any little bottles of touchup paint to cover up nicks & scratches. I'm being quoted $400.00 for a touchup kit, with a minimum of 1 gallon per color! Mine has 4 colors! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My '05 Meridian came with all the touch up as well.

As for the full body paint!!!! I love it, looks awesome and is easy to keep shinny. Just keep drying with Wizards spray wash. The only word of caution is if you do get the full body paint, be prepared for some pretty hefty overspray on the entire rig. When you schedule your PDI make sure that the dealer knows that you wont take it if there is any overspray on it. Typically, they send them out to a body shop to remove it and then Winnie reimburses them. Thats my only gripe about the paint.

Shawn
Old 05-23-2005, 05:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> PDB posted May 22, 2005 08:52 PM
I have the full body paint on my '04 Vectra. Good luck on getting any little bottles of touchup paint to cover up nicks & scratches. I'm being quoted $400.00 for a touchup kit, with a minimum of 1 gallon per color! Mine has 4 colors! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2005 Suncruiser w/fullbody paint came with a touchup kit from the factory. Four big bottles.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:04 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Should have mentioned my buddies '05 Horizon 40AD also came with a touchup kit.