Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are looking at a new Adventurer. We are debating full body paint verse striped. Does anybody have any feedback about how well the paint holds up verses the conventional white with striping.

I am a little freaked about having the paint start to weather after just a few years and I tend to keep my stuff for up to 10 years.
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are looking at a new Adventurer. We are debating full body paint verse striped. Does anybody have any feedback about how well the paint holds up verses the conventional white with striping.

I am a little freaked about having the paint start to weather after just a few years and I tend to keep my stuff for up to 10 years.
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

shastaron...The full body paint is just like the stuff on your car. If you take reasonable care of the coach (wax every 6-12 months) it shouldhold up well over ten years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:12 AM   #4

Besides t looks GREAT. We have had both and the full body paint still looks good after 2 years and the other, with striping didn't look as good after the same amount of time. I know it is more expensive, but if you are keeping it for 10 years it would be worth the investment.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Winnebago's full body painting is done by CDI....They use Sherwin Williams AUTOMOTIVE coatings.

Having recently returned from Forest City (Winnebago USA) and personally toured the CDI facility from start to finish,I can assure you the process is a complete process from preparation to completion,similar to what is done with an automobile...

I would opt for full body paint...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Great topic! I've wondered about durability in terms of what I would call normal use for me (i.e., brother's yard where tree limbs haven't been cut back; parks with same situation...not talking huge limbs...just small branches).

I take care of things but as a seasoned citizen I want to maximize the enjoyment and not be anal about cosmetics to the extent that it stops me from going to places that might not be perfect. I noticed yesterday that our most recent voyage had resulted in some surface scrapes that I'll buff off. Could I if it were full body paint? I would hope so because it sure is pretty! But then, don't plan to trade, but younever know!!! Thanks, Steve
Old 05-18-2006, 03:23 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Unless you gouge the paint, they'll buff out. I put some nasty tree limb marks along the whole right side of my new coach.

The dealer buffed them right out. The paint will hold up much better than a striped finish. I had a striped class C and spent days each year giving it coats of wax. It would last looking good for about 3 weeks.

In my opinion, full body paint is worth every dime.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Full body paint is the only way to go.

Also, if the Workhorse W24 chassis is an option get it.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Full body paint runs about $6000.0 more than plain finnish. I like the old finnish. I hate to wax my car let alone a big beast like a MH.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The high end 5ver I just traded in had the stripes, and after three years they looked faded and spotty. I wash and treat all of my toys regularly, and it still happened. I went with the full body paint, and love it.

Somewhere down the road the resale will be better as well. Besides, the wife loves it!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We just bought our first motorhome with full body paint and it looks great. However, one thing to consider, with the darker paints it gets warmer inside on hot days. I can tell a difference between our mostly white Sunruiser and our new mostly brownish Journey.
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Tom,
Is the frame on your RV actually painted yellow? That woulb be a good option...designer frames
Old 05-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
Full body paint runs about $6000.0 more than plain finnish. I like the old finnish. I hate to wax my car let alone a big beast like a MH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No waxing is one reason to opt for full body paint. They are clear coated. I never wax a clear coated car or the motorhome. I just keep them washed.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Tom N,

Why is your map backwards? You have moved us from the East coast to the West coast. Now I have to worry about mudslides, bush fires and earthquacks?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

No, it is just plain old black. The yellow W24 chassis is for display at RV shows.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV_Boy:
Tom N,

Why is your map backwards? You have moved us from the East coast to the West coast. Now I have to worry about mudslides, bush fires and earthquacks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But look how our east coast property values have increased!