Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fuel Pumps in 2000 Winnebago 35U

With the ongoing and repetitive problem with fuel pumps, has anyone ever constructed an access through the floor from inside the motor home? If so, could I get the information on exactly where to make the access and if not, could I get the layout of where to put one?
DaSpoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSpoiler View Post
With the ongoing and repetitive problem with fuel pumps, has anyone ever constructed an access through the floor from inside the motor home? If so, could I get the information on exactly where to make the access and if not, could I get the layout of where to put one?
First let me welcome you to iRV2.com. Glad you joined and posted.

Take a look at post #4 in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/fuel-...val-54887.html
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
My 35U on the F53 chassis is almost 13 years old now and still on the original trouble free fuel pump. What chassis are we talking about Workhorse or Ford?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your reply Neil. The chasis on this is a Ford.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Are you experiencing a problem or just reacting to some stories you've seen circulating on the internet? Was not aware of a big ongoing problem and in 13 years and close to 70,000 miles have not had any fuel pump issues myself or noted in the repair history of the coach prior to my purchasing it several years ago.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You might want to check a little deeper into the "fuel pump problem" to be sure which style pump you have in your chassis. All the problems I am aware of were with the diaphragm style pumps. I believe your chassis has a turbine style pump. Our 2001 Adventurer had the turbine style pump and was still working fine when we traded it off with over 100,000 miles on the odometer.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Neil,

Ty for your reply. No my father is not reacting to anything he saw on internet since he doesnt use the internet lol. This is a problem he himself has been dealing with since he purchased his unit a few years ago.

Hikerdogs: I will let my father know your answer as well. Thank you very much.

My father is just wanting to make an access panel from inside the unit to the fuel pump area so he doesnt have to drop the fuel tank each time. Thank you all for your assistance and help with this
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to some discussion on the problem fuel pumps. It appears the turbine style pumps were installed after 6/30/97.

Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fuel pump 96 F-53 chassis (Ford)

As mentioned earlier the diaphragm pumps were the ones susceptible to failure. The only precautions I am aware of for the newer style pumps is to keep the fuel level above 1/4 tank . More fuel is pumped through the system than the engine needs for combustion. The remainder is used a cooling mechanism. Also the generator pickup tube only goes to the 1/4 tank level. The generator will not run below this level to avoid running out of gas.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

If you continually need to replace the fuel pump, strong chances your tank is contaminated with debris and it is clogging the filter sock. The tank will need to be removed, cleaned out and if it is rusting or flaking, it will need to be resealed inside.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The only precautions I am aware of for the newer style pumps is to keep the fuel level above 1/4 tank . More fuel is pumped through the system than the engine needs for combustion. The remainder is used a cooling mechanism.
X2. The most probable cause of fuel pump failure, would be allowing the fuel level get too low, causing the fuel pump to overheat and fail. Our 15 year old Ford chassis has been very reliable, only needing a couple COPs (Coil on Plug) replaced.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
X2. The most probable cause of fuel pump failure, would be allowing the fuel level get too low, causing the fuel pump to overheat and fail. Our 15 year old Ford chassis has been very reliable, only needing a couple COPs (Coil on Plug) replaced.
Not sure how they would over heat because the fuel is what keeps the motor cool. The pump pulls the fuel up and through passages within the pump assembly where heat is extracted. That is more of an urban legend that actual truth. Pumps are designed to work within a certain heat range. Also if there was truth in that, the tank would be designed to ensure that the pump is in a constant fuel bath for cooling.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Neil,

Ty for your reply. No my father is not reacting to anything he saw on internet since he doesnt use the internet lol. This is a problem he himself has been dealing with since he purchased his unit a few years ago.
OK then it is possibly a problem caused by the previous owner leaving the tank low enough to generate damaging condensation and rust. I keep mine filled after each trip and treated with a stabilizer if its not going to be used regularly to minimize that possiblilty. Time to play Dick Tracey on that tank and remove it completly to get it cleaned up, inspected and recoated internally.

Tags
fuel, winnebago