Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Have a 1999 Adventurer 35C on F53 with just over 30,000 miles. Preparing for a vacation starting this Sunday, I went to start MH on Tuesday morning...no luck ...would not start...turned over..just would not start. Mh towed to repair center...suspect fuel problem. Being told they replaced fuel filter and fuel regulator..filter was changed at 26,000 miles,,were able to start vehicle, however fuel preasure was low...now going to replace fuel pump which requires dropping fuel tank...which is full...Total cost of repair just over $2,900.00....anyone have similar experience ??

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have a 1999 Adventurer 35C on F53 with just over 30,000 miles. Preparing for a vacation starting this Sunday, I went to start MH on Tuesday morning...no luck ...would not start...turned over..just would not start. Mh towed to repair center...suspect fuel problem. Being told they replaced fuel filter and fuel regulator..filter was changed at 26,000 miles,,were able to start vehicle, however fuel preasure was low...now going to replace fuel pump which requires dropping fuel tank...which is full...Total cost of repair just over $2,900.00....anyone have similar experience ??

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

$2,900, wow . When I had my '97 Adventurer on a P-32 chassis, had my RV mechanic drop the full fuel tank and replace the fuel pump since it failed..I paid something like $500 - $600 for the repair.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I agree that seems excessive. Lowering the tank a few inches is all that is required to gain access (at least on a 97 F53 chassis) and the pump/associated hardware should be less tha $400. I'd get another estimate, if you can. Good luck.

Lou
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Had the same thing done on my old 1990 Pace Arrow on a P32 chassis. They found that the fuel pickup on the bottom of the pump was plugged with dirt. They said that sometimes when the fuel tanks are first built they are stored for a period of time before installation and can collect dirt inside. You might consider having the fuel tank boiled out before they reinstall it along with your new pump. Your quoted price seems high to me also.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Had pumps replaced on my 90 and 95 F53 chassis. both times done by a shop that specializes in RV repairs (read that $$$$). 1st time was $875 and second was $950, complete.

IIWY- I'd pay off the work done, hope for a cool day and baby it into a more reasonable shop for the pump replacement.
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I had a fuel line on the gen. come off my 95 F53 chassis so I cut a hole in the floor right over the fuel pump to get to it. Now all I have to do is lift the carpet to change the pump or hoses
Old 11-17-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gary peterson:
I had a fuel line on the gen. come off my 95 F53 chassis so I cut a hole in the floor right over the fuel pump to get to it. Now all I have to do is lift the carpet to change the pump or hoses </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consider plugging that hole with something a bit more sustantial than just carpet. In case of a fire you may need an extra few moments, that having that sealed may give you, in order to survive.

Once it is too late it is too late. We don't want to be lamenting "Boy, Gary should have plugged that hole."
Old 11-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gary peterson:
I had a fuel line on the gen. come off my 95 F53 chassis so I cut a hole in the floor right over the fuel pump to get to it. Now all I have to do is lift the carpet to change the pump or hoses </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consider plugging that hole with something a bit more substantial than just carpet. In case of a fire you may need an extra few moments, that having that sealed may give you, in order to survive.

Once it is too late it is too late. We don't want to be lamenting "Boy, Gary should have plugged that hole." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">filter was changed at 26,000 miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My coach states to change the fuel filter at 15000 miles, which I have since done twice with 30000 total miles on my coach.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We just recently experienced a fuel pump failure on a 2006 F53. The repair shop was able to remove a crossmember & change fuel pump, filter & check out in 45 minutes. Ford allowed them 6 hrs. to drop tank under warranty. They of course charged the allowed time and the whole bill including fuel pump was $ 560.00 +/-. I heard them calling in for P.O. approval
gene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

just to clear things up I put a matel cover over the hole screw down then the rug. There is 8 in. between floor and matel plate over tank, lots of room in there.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #13
PR
Winnebago Watcher

just to clear things up I put a matel cover over the hole screw down then the rug. There is 8 in. between floor and matel plate over tank, lots of room in there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear Gary:

Hi. This is an EXCELLENT idea, I'm going
to do it pre emptively to both our trolleys,
which are 1997's on original pumps. Can the
tank stay in place for the first hole cut with
out draining it. Thanks VERY much for a reply
when you can.....

Paul

P.S. They make an attractive "porthole" cover
that looks like it belongs there, I'll try to
post the company for others when I find it.
PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Can the
tank stay in place for the first hole cut with
out draining it. Yes it can I used a air niper-cuter.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

my winne is on the workhorse chassis. when i have a fuel pump problem, i will install an inline fuel pump. make sure that you use a relay that goes through the oil pressure switch. you do not want fuel pumping when the engine is not running.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote