Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Need some advice from you experienced cold weather diesel drivers. I need to drive my Journey early this Thursday morning. Low temp is forecasted to be 27. Being in FL, it's fueled with #2 diesel. Any chance of a gelling problem?
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Need some advice from you experienced cold weather diesel drivers. I need to drive my Journey early this Thursday morning. Low temp is forecasted to be 27. Being in FL, it's fueled with #2 diesel. Any chance of a gelling problem?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Tom, you'll have no problem.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Tom ...

I would not worry about 27 ... that is NOT COLD by Wisconsin standards ...

Single digit temps might be a problem ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks, guys, I thought that it was probably not a problem, but have never had my diesel in below freezing conditions. My CAT manual has lots of info on cold weather operation, but doesn't define "cold weather".

We lived in Colorado before moving here so I'm no stranger to cold weather, but had a gasser out there...
Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Tom, to be safe pick up a bottle of Power Service Diesel Fuel Additive which is specifically formulated for ULSD. Here is their website. You can buy a bottle at Wally World.

There are several formulas, so be sure to read the bottle for the one which prevents gelling and works with ULSD.

Never hurts to keep one on board if needed - the smaller bottle treats 100 gal; just about the size of our Journey 90 gal tanks.

But remember, to prevent the jelling in the fuel filters, you need to add it to your tank and make sure it's mixed and driven such that the treated fuel makes its way thru the system.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tom:
Well yes I guess it is possible for your #2 diesel to gel at 27 degrees F but highly unlikely. I wouldn't worry about it. Generally 20 degrees is the temperature you would start considering an antigel additive. Add it and then top off the tank, that should mix it. Enjoy and stay warm.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

It is interessting to note how we react to weather conditions. Today on FOX News, the weather lady was almost in a panic because the temps in MN, ND, IA, and SD were a bit below zero or at least under 10*F.

I recall my days in Sioux City when the temps didn't get above Zero for days on end and stayed below 32* for two months or more.

Another report today mentioned heavy snow in Rochester, NY and the reporter was also nearly paniced. I moved into Rochester, NY on Jan. 4, 1971 in the midst of a 24" plus snow and was stranded in a motel for 5 days.

Are we, as a society, so soft as to go ballistic with a small change in weather?

I fear for our future.

BTW, I spent a year in NY and bailed out for a return to AZ where I remain to this day. (except when travelling)

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hamguy - I don't think it's us, as a society. It's just the idiot talking-heads that try to turn a broken fingernail into a national disaster. Heaven help us, if they represent our society.

That's why I never watch TV news or wx anymore - I prefer the Internet where I can Choose what I read...
Old 01-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

hamguy -- I still live in Rochester NY. 4-8" of snow tonight. Down to 18F on Thursday.

Personally I celebrate winter. Makes me really like going to Florida in late winter.

I use the diesel additives because I want to get out of dodge when I want to.... Don't want to get stranded on my trip south. In my opinion it's cheap insurance.

Last year in Rochester during a cold snap the school buses in our area were stranded due to gelling problems with ULSD. They figured it out, but school was shut down for several days.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I always used fuel additives in my diesel even in the summer...Use it on the boat, Moho and all my gas tools. Sure makes them easy to start after a long winters sleep..

Yes, to day our news people/weather people. are actors and love to dramatize a news or weather phenonomen. We used to have a thunder storm and love to smell the ozone. Now every thunderstorm has tornado potential.

Happy New Year and Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Speaking of fuel issues.......

Wednesday evening fueled my work truck (Dodge 3500 with a 5.9 Cummins B). Fuel was B85 (15% bio fuel and 85% diesel). Had to be on site at 0300 about 30 miles from the house. Weather was cold for here, a little under 20 when I got to the site. We got done about day break and headed home, pulled on the road and my truck started skipping, smoking, loosing power. Limped it home knowing it was a waxed filter. Had some coffee to warm up, it was 16 degrees and spun off the filter. Sure enough, filter waxed up, a layer of what looked like candle wax coating the filter. Swapped in a new one and tried to prime it, lift pump ran but no fuel to the injection pump. Today had the the time and it was warm enough so installed a new lift pump. Want everyone to know that is a pain to reach, hard to even see but got it swapped out. Trucks back to running just fine.
Fuel supplier is looking into what happened and wat they need to do to keep it from happening again. At first they started to try to tell me I needed to grage my truck but ran up the BS flag on that quick. Typically don't/shouldn't need any additives until it gets colder. It didn't gel it was waxed.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
Fuel was B85 (15% bio fuel and 85% diesel). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

B85 is 85% bio and 15% diesel. That mixture would be a solid brick here in MN today. Maybe you meant B15 or they use a different rating where you are. B15 wouldn't flow here in Minnesota either. We have enough trouble with glycerin in the fuel at 2%. B15 would be ok in Key West Florida today but not much further north.

Our state mandated mixture in Minnesota is 2% bio and it would be called B2 but the government doesn't want it called anything but diesel fuel.

Is it safe to say that the magic smoke left your engine?
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Donovan:
A lot of smoke was exiting when the filter got really plugged. All better now. It warmed up some too which didn't hurt at all. Saw 40 some and Saturday it'll get into the 50's Motorcycle riding weather.

Dumped enough treatment in the tank to treat 100 gallons (a 35 gallon tank) and drove it a few miles to stir it all up. Believe it will be good to go. Glad it was the work truck and not the MH.