Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fuel gauge drops to empty

Ellipse with Cummings 450. Great unit, but often when driving along fuel gauge drops to empty. If stop and turn engine off then on registers properly. Dealer says being in when happens - the answer when they haven't a clue. Any suggestions?
Shotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had a fuel gauge that was erratic ... a friend told me to check the ignition switch .. it was loose ... I figured out how to tighten it ... the erratic fuel gauge problem went away.

It may not be your ignition switch ... but it sounds to me like you have a loose connection ... probably a ground ... someplace.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotdoc View Post
Ellipse with Cummings 450. Great unit, but often when driving along fuel gauge drops to empty. If stop and turn engine off then on registers properly. Dealer says being in when happens - the answer when they haven't a clue. Any suggestions?
It's a Freightliner chassis issue. Bad batch of gauges.
See last few posts in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/fuel-...-126658-2.html

Mine has been working fine since replacement with updated gauge thousands of miles and many tanks of fuel later!

Todd
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
It's a Freightliner chassis issue. Bad batch of gauges.
See last few posts in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/fuel-...-126658-2.html

Mine has been working fine since replacement with updated gauge thousands of miles and many tanks of fuel later!

Todd
PS you can pull the top off your instrument panel and get the actual gauge part number of the back and then call Freightliner. They should know what's going on if you have the old or bad gauge and get an updated one out to a FTL dealer near you for replacement.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Todd
Shotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Same issue on our 2011 meridian was a defective gauge. Sounds like a common issue FL should know about it but they gave me the same we have to see it so I recorded it on my phone and they replaced the guage
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Freightliner thought it was a defective sender in the fuel tank. Drained and dropped the fuel tank, replaced sender, still no work! Was a defective guage pack!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotdoc View Post
Call FCCC in Gaffney, SC where the chassis is built. Give them you vin. They might have a better handle if the gauge is the issue or something else.

CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE OR CONCERNS
Contact our Customer Support Center at
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)

They seem to know what is up with their products for the most part.