Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fuel filter on a Ultimate advantage

I understand most diesel coaches have two fuel filters, however I have only been able to locate the fuel/water seperator which is an FS-1022 and is located on the cross frame to the rear of the engine. At my last service date I asked the Cummins tech about this and his statement was only one filter was used in some applications. At each service interval I've played dumb and asked the tech to replace both filters and each time I get the response there is only the one filter.

On my rig it is virtually impossible to get to, or see, the passenger side of the engine which is where I believe the filter should be located. The muffler and starter block the entire right side bottom and I can not get to the right side from the engine compartment.

I have a 2003 Ultimate advantage with the Cuminns ISC 350 in a Spartan chassis. Does anybody else with a similar era UA with the ISC cummins know if they have a filter on the Cummins engine and if so how do you get at it?
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage with the Cummins ISC 350 on a Spartan chassis. On my coach, the filter (only one) was located above the starter motor on the passenger side of the engine -- toward the front of the coach. REALLY impossible to get to. I finally had Cummins South install a dual filter set up on the rear of my coach --- one filter is a pre filter before the lift pump and the other is a filter after the lift pump but before the injectors -- the first larger holes and the second one contains a finer filter material to catch what the first one did not.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Roadking, I not only have the same year U/A, but the same floor plan (40K), but based on your pic I have the same color. There is only one fuel filter on our engines.

Have you had the paint peeling on the radius of the roof to the side walls? Very common problem and CDI will repaint under warranty this area.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have the 03 40K also. Only one fuel filter on this version. I have the paint peel problem also, but mine was painted by Winnebago before CDI got going. They are willing to pay only a portion of the repaint for the clear coat repair.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

CDI did the warranty paint repair at no cost, and there was no time limit as to when they would do the repair. They are a good outfit to deal with and they stand up to their customer warranty much better than Winnebago. Now my front cap is starting to peel.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

My 2003 40e, built very early in the model year, came with just one filter, on the passenger side of the block above the starter. It took two people to change it, one from below and the other hanging through the closet floor. I finally paid a Cummins place $500 to install the remote filter kit to get it to the rear where it is accessible. I know of another 2003 40e, build late in the model year, that came with a filter on the rear frame rail. The owner had it serviced 2-3 times and the service guys always told him that was the only filter. But he did eventually discover that his also had the filter on the block above the starter just as mine did. Apparently Winnebago was not at all consistent in how they dealt with the filter issue.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks folks for the info on the filters. I'll sleep better knowing I don't have a hidden filter that hasn't been changed. At least I haven't been able to locate it yet!!! Paul, I can understand the difficulty of replacing the filter on the engine and sorry to hear you ended up with that horrible configuration.

Pat and others: In regards to the clear coat peeling... yes my roof radius corners are pealing but the worst peeling is on the top front of the front cap. I wasn't aware CDI would repair. Thanks for the info. Do I contact CDI or the Winny factory?
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote