Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fuel filling problems

I recently purchased a 2005 Winnebago Journey and I am having problems filling the fuel tank. The automatic shutoff keeps shutting the pump off even though the fuel tank is less than 1/2 full. I have tried various positions of the nozzle (deep into the filler neck to barely into it), I've also tried very slow flow rates, etc. and the nozzle continues to shut down the pump. My MH is equipped with dual fill tubes, one on the right and one on the left, the filling difficulties are the same on both sides.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Bill
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K
Invisibrake / 2004 Honda CRV Toad
Bill1446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Weather permitting, first thing to do is trace the vent lines from the tank to the filler necks , looking for kinks and low spots. Also check the orientation of the vent tube on the filler it's self , should be in the top 1/2 of the neck.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

My 2004 fuels slowly - I have to have the nozzle most of the way out and use the slowest filling speed. I have not been able to use the high speed truck fills unless I stand there and manually fuel up. I was told the fuel filler tube makes a sharp turn into the tank and that creates a foaming problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like the vent on the tank is restricted somehow. The theory is, as fuel is going into the tank and air must leave the tank. If the tank vent is clogged then fuel can't get into the tank and the fuel nozzle senses fuel in the filler pipe and shuts off. On a older coach of mine, the vent tube was rubber and it had a slight dip in it. It was enough of a dip it trapped fuel like a sink drain traps water. Once I shortened the tube and eliminated the sag/trap I could fill the tank without any problems.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This, #%$^^&*&^, has been an on going problem and why it hasn't been fixed is beyond me to figure. Has to do with the angle of the flow pipe between the filler and the tank. Supposedly there is a relief tube that could be, might be coiled on top of the tank that is not allowing the air pressure caused by the fuel to escape. Freightliner and Winnebago addressed this situation some years back and Freightliner would pay for the labor of "fixing" the problem but Winnebago wanted big bucks to provide the parts.
Was told one time to lower the jacks on the fueling side to raise the coach and this might help??? Another problem is that diesel foams creating a false reading to the shut off sensor.
Take your pick!!!

Don G. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

When mine is in real cold weather I open the other fill cap and it works just fine since it has a large open vent.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1446 View Post
I recently purchased a 2005 Winnebago Journey and I am having problems filling the fuel tank. The automatic shutoff keeps shutting the pump off even though the fuel tank is less than 1/2 full. I have tried various positions of the nozzle (deep into the filler neck to barely into it), I've also tried very slow flow rates, etc. and the nozzle continues to shut down the pump. My MH is equipped with dual fill tubes, one on the right and one on the left, the filling difficulties are the same on both sides.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Bill
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K
Invisibrake / 2004 Honda CRV Toad
Bill, I had the same problem back when I first bought my 2006 Winnebago Journey 36G. I found that if I hold the pump nozzle in the direction as pictured below, I can set the pump to fast flow and then when the fuel tank gets close to being full I will listen for the gurgling sound and slow down the pump for the last few gallons.

This has worked so good that I made a kind of nozzle holder (pictured below) that is simply a 3/8 x 4 inch bolt screwed into a 3/8 inch coupling at the fuel fill door. You just CANNOT walk away from the nozzle while filling as it will not shut off when nearing full in this position.

I can now fill either side of the coach using this setup.

Good luck,
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
My 2004 fuels slowly - I have to have the nozzle most of the way out and use the slowest filling speed. I have not been able to use the high speed truck fills unless I stand there and manually fuel up. I was told the fuel filler tube makes a sharp turn into the tank and that creates a foaming problem.
Same on my '04. Over the years I have come across numerous vehicles,(mostly fire apparatus) with tank fill tubes run to the tank that are difficult to fuel. For me at least it is not unusual and just one of the things about having a diesel that you need to contend with.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Our last rig had the same problem. I crawled under the rig to check the vent line and while it appeared straight, I noticed that the fill tube it's self dipped below where it entered the tank. I braced the low spot up and never had another problem.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I had that problem as well as a lot of other people. It seems to be a design problem with the vent lines being to small, There are several posts about it around 2006 - 2008.
Freighrliner replaced my tank while under warranty, which took care of the problem.
The new tank did not have larger vent lines as on the later models(2007 +) but had them relocated to the top of tank instead of the side. Vent lines on the side got blokked by foaming of the diesel fuel, which is why filling slowly reduces the problem.
Refuel at slowest setting and stay away from the truck pumps. Used to take me about 20 minutes to take on about 75 gallons.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
When mine is in real cold weather I open the other fill cap and it works just fine since it has a large open vent.
I think Dupdyke may have the best idea. I gotta give that a try! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Watch out when you refuel with both fillers open. This is what the dealer told me to do and it resulted in the fuel foaming coming out on the other side when it approached about 2/3 full. Only tried this once. It may work for some but didn't for me
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the club of frustrated fuelers. I've been dealing with this problem since new, and have come to live with it. It's a Freightliner design flaw, much discussed on forums, and the only solution appears to be a new tank. I try to avoid the truck pumps, and even then, the last 20 gallons are a tedious process. Opening the other fuel cap will just result in foamed fuel pouring out, so don't waste your time.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
Welcome to the club of frustrated fuelers. I've been dealing with this problem since new, and have come to live with it. It's a Freightliner design flaw, much discussed on forums, and the only solution appears to be a new tank. I try to avoid the truck pumps, and even then, the last 20 gallons are a tedious process. Opening the other fuel cap will just result in foamed fuel pouring out, so don't waste your time.
I don't think it is necessarily a Freightliner design flaw.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
I don't think it is necessarily a Freightliner design flaw.

The coach builder adds the fueling and vent hoses. For me, this problem has been around since our previous 1997 Discovery was built. You would think they would learn, wouldn't you?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We're fulltimers so we fill often. Our 2004 had the same problem. As the other person mentioned, just put the nozzle in a little bit, up to the first spring ridge so it is still held securely. I think it makes the fuel shoot straight in. When inserted all the way the bend in the nozzle makes the fuel shoot against the side of the RV fuel tube. We can usually put the speed on full but sometimes on slow in truck stops but SLOW in a truck stop is similar to FAST in a regular fuel station anyway. Only had it splash back once. I was opening the opposite side too but stopped when I figured out the SWEET SPOT of how far to insert the nozzle.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel