Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I see a number of post concerning problems with using the truck pumps due to the size of the fuel nozzle. Has anyone ever talked to Winnebago/Freightliner about using larger fuel filler pipes so that it is easier to use the truck pumps.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I see a number of post concerning problems with using the truck pumps due to the size of the fuel nozzle. Has anyone ever talked to Winnebago/Freightliner about using larger fuel filler pipes so that it is easier to use the truck pumps.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Personally I don't think it's the "size" so much that matters as it is the two 90's in the filler neck before it gets to the tank.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I've got a 2005 Journey and fill up all the time at Flying J or Pilot without any problems. Pretty much takes fuel as fast as the pump will push it. Maybe differant designs on differant coaches.
Wildturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have to be careful with mine. I can use the faster pumps but not at full flow. I agree it's not the pipe diameter as much as the lack of slope and bends in the filler pipe, at least on my '02.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 AM   #6

I don't know what kind of coach you have but here is what we experienced with our 04 Vectra. You have the option to fuel from both sides, which is a great idea. However, right after we bought our coach, we discovered that on the passenger side fuel port there was a breather pipe that was about 1/2 too long in the filler port. The drivers side was fine and accepted the truck nozzels okay. The dealer ordered and replaced the passenger side and now we can fuel at a truck stop from either side. I have never had a problem with the rate of flow, as long as you keep an eye on it as it fills so it doesn't foam. Noticed I said "I" since I am the one who does this job ! We stopped and got fuel at one station (regular gas station with diesel) and the pumps were so-o-o slow, we were able to buy and have lunch before it finished ! So I would rather have the truck stop speed pumps.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:06 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I haven't had the problem with diesel pumps being slow to fill being a relatively new diesel owner. I have had the problem with gasoline pumps and the cure is simple. It might work with diesel pumps.

When you start to fuel up and the pump is going very slow, let it pump like that for about 10-15 seconds, then release the handle and leave it off for about 10-15 seconds. Start it up again and it should be going full bore. It works every time with a gasoline pump. I think the pump gets a "vapor lock" or something in it.

It has worked every time for me with a very slow gasoline pump and I'll try it the first time I have diesel pump problems.

P.S. It sure would be nice if the gallons guage on the pump moved faster than the Dollar guage.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote