Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Front End Leak Help

Hi All,
Just returned from our 4th trip and had a few little issues (what's new) and managed to resolve all except this one. I have what looks like a mixture of water and oil/fluid dripping from what looks like a drain on the bottom of a large box at the front left of the coach. The leak stops after being parked for a while. Does anyone have any idea what this is and should I be concerned about it?.
Here are a couple of pics I took:
Click image for larger version

Name:	coach rear 001.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	4973
Click image for larger version

Name:	coach rear 002.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	4974

Hope you can see these, if not how do I attach them so you can?.

Thanks
John
Golfinscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Looks like your air conditioner evaporator box. You should only get moisture from this drain when you're running the air conditioner or defroster. The higher the humidity, the more you'll see this dripping. There should be no oil from this, only moisture from the air.
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks battchief .. if it is the air conditioner evaporator box is there some kind of oily fluid or coolant in there that may be leaking?, it certainly feels like there is something mixed with the water.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Journey's are pretty notable for developing leaking heater cores. Does the liguid look/smell like coolant/antifreeze?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If the drain is right over your generator, I would add a longer hose and let the water run off to the side of the generator, the water got in my generator and shorted out the circuit board.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy S View Post
If the drain is right over your generator, I would add a longer hose and let the water run off to the side of the generator, the water got in my generator and shorted out the circuit board.

VERY good advice but I would add that you should remove the small plastic restrictor in the end of the short existing hose and re-install it in the end of the new, longer hose.

To the OP....I agree that you're probably getting some anti-freeze leaking from the heater core.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

SmlRanger,
Thanks for the help, the liquid coming out does feel like coolant mixed with water. I drove the rig to our storage yesterday and it didnt leak at all but I was not using either heat or cooling just the fan at that time. I was kinda hoping it is not the heater core, I understand that to replace one the whole front cap has to be removed..is this true?. If it is the heater core is there a product I can put in to seal it from the inside?. Luckily the drain is positioned way left of the generator and misses it entirely.

John
Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinscorp View Post
SmlRanger,
Thanks for the help, the liquid coming out does feel like coolant mixed with water. I drove the rig to our storage yesterday and it didnt leak at all but I was not using either heat or cooling just the fan at that time. I was kinda hoping it is not the heater core, I understand that to replace one the whole front cap has to be removed..is this true?. If it is the heater core is there a product I can put in to seal it from the inside?. Luckily the drain is positioned way left of the generator and misses it entirely.

John
If the heater core is leaking, the smell of coolant is pretty recognizable. Kind of sticky sweet smell. I have replaced my core and I can't see how it could be done without either removing or lowering the front cap. I released mine and let it hinge forward and propped it on a short ladder. There are a number of old threads on the forum with detailed instructions on how to R & R a core on the Journey.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

again, thanks, I will do some searching for the threads.