Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I have not been locked out of my Motor Home as yet, but after reading some of the threads am concerned about the possibility. Enough so that I have declared that the big window behind the passenger seat should be left unblocked. My DW however is determined to keep all the windows locked when we leave the Motor Home, god love her!!!
Old 09-27-2022, 06:24 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I have not been locked out of my Motor Home as yet, but after reading some of the threads am concerned about the possibility. Enough so that I have declared that the big window behind the passenger seat should be left unblocked. My DW however is determined to keep all the windows locked when we leave the Motor Home, god love her!!!
I know where that leads but I might throw in how I dealt with that!
In trying to replace a broken screw on a front side window latch, I got careless and broke the window as it is tempered!

That led us to find the window is a single piece and to replace it, they wanted to remove and replace the frame as well as glass at about $700 for the parts alone! I passed out before we got to the labor price!

So with the price of broken windows, I was able to ask the wife how much she felt we would lose if somebody climbed through a window and took all the valuables we carry.
Since we carry very little of value, we came up with something like $200-300 if they took the toaster and coffee pot, too!

What we got her to see was that if we lock all the windows and I break one to get in, it's going to cost far more than somebody who is big enough and bold enough to climb through a window that is that high and carry off everything of value!
We also got into the question of who's going to show up with a ladder, mess with finding the one window unlocked and crawl in for the trick of unloading an RV while we set in a campground full of old folks just waiting for something or somebody to talk about!

If you've ever had a mechanical problem in a campground, how long does it take for somebody to come by to talk about it?
I'm thinking a guy bringing a ladder and setting it on the side of my RV is going to get lots of attention, real quick!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

When our RV was new (only 6 months old) I must have inadvertently push the lock mechanism down when exiting the coach one morning and the door locked behind me. My keys were inside as I had just stepped out for early morning fresh air about 7:00 AM. I tried not to wake my wife but after 10 minutes I had to tap on bedroom window to wake her up. All she had to do was to open the door, but she panicked when she heard I was locked outside

She could not open door from inside and I didn't know at the time door was simply locked so she didn't know to unlock the door and open nor did I know to tell her. Then, I asked her to open the passenger window which she did with ease. She then gave me my keys, I unlocked the door and issue was resolved

I bought a 3rd set of every key we have that I keep hidden in a lock box should that happen again. I also randomly will keep one window unlocked. If someone wishes to break into your mobile home, they gonna break a window anyway.

I watch people with as many as 3 deadbolt locks on a home door; but there is glass right next to it that a thief can easily break and unlock the door
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

For the folks who have made repairs by removing the lock, or simply replacing it, was it necessary to keep the door closed and if so, how did you do it?

It looks like a replacement lock set would be a pretty easy (quick) swap, but repairs on the other hand may take a bit of time. I'm worried about not getting it finished up and needing to close the door as the RV is at a storage lot.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2022, 03:50 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

We had a deadbolt as well as the lock.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door