Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
Richard, congtatulations on your detective skills and perseverance. Im impressed, and hope this all comes to a successful conclusion for you. As you might recall from posts I made a couple of weeks ago, I was strongly of the opinion that this MoHo had been dipped, and it looks like it had alot of company. Just eyeballin my W20 Adventurer, it looks like it would take about 6" of water ABOVE the rear axle centerline(center of wheel) to have water begin to enter the axle housing. Anything deeper is only worse. That depth on my Advent. would have water far above the bottom of the storage bins and would surely foul (with silt, grit as well as the water)any open joints in the suspension, and possible the driveline too. I hope they are "up" for a thorough inspection..Again, congrats on your detective skills. I'll have to say tho, I dont see where Winnebago has any esponsibility (I didnt say interest!!) in this. To do so would make them the insurer in this deal, a role im sure they won't assume. BTW, was this salt water?..rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Winnebago probably doesn't have any responsibility at this point, though I'm surprised that both Winnebago and Fleetwood didn't require inspections. Most of the units in the picture were 'new' at the time of the picture, which means that when they sold, they were under warranty. My '05 is still under the chassis warranty through Workhorse; once they found the contaminated differential fluid, they were off the hook for the cost of repairs. Since I didn't own and 'park' the MH there, I sure don't feel like I should have to pay for repairs... the RV store is finally paying for the repair, based on what THEY think is fair and reasonable, ($3k+) while I feel they should have to replace the entire differential as a unit, ($6900) which is what I think is fair... the worse part, of course, is the other 138 units: what's happened to them mechanically over the last year and a half?

Had I been quoted a lesser amount for repairs, I might have paid it. Due to the original $7k quote and no warranty help, it 'inspired' me to find an answer on what had happened to this MH.

The water wasn't salt water; some was a nearby creek over-flow and most was the Petaluma River flooding...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

http://www.rustguy.com/
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the RV store is finally paying for the repair, based on what THEY think is fair and reasonable, ($3k+) while I feel they should have to replace the entire differential as a unit, ($6900) which is what I think is fair... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard, I agree with everything you say here, and while I am neither a lawyer, dont play one on TV, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn (recently), and Im generally the last guy to encourage anyone into a squabble, but these guys (selling dealer) need to face a court of law. They are willing to hang their bad fortune around the neck of every owner of those units. My 2004 WH "lives" in Southern AZ., but 4 months at a time, has spent about a year of its life on the East Coast, including 2 drenchings by remanants of hurricanes, and it has NONE of the rust you are finding. I'm guessing that the water on your unit was "corrosive" in some manner, ie: had "run off" chemicals in it, and as well, the chassis was kept wet by a coating of silt/mud. If the dealer then hosed it off, the damage had been done. I'm doing alot of guessing here, but I will be really interested in your outcome.. Good Luck,...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Shame on that dealer. I would take the dealer to court for a complete chassis recoating and new complete rear end. new hydraulic jacks all four and new 4 shocks New leaf sprins all around. trust me by the time they fiqure out the cost , you will get a full replacement new m/h.
it could turn out to be a Class action suit!!!!!!!
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george henry:
Shame on that dealer. I would take the dealer to court for a complete chassis recoating and new complete rear end. new hydraulic jacks all four and new 4 shocks New leaf sprins all around. trust me by the time they fiqure out the cost , you will get a full replacement new m/h.
it could turn out to be a Class action suit!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I finally settled to have the rear differential repaired... I wanted to have a complete new unit installed but you know how it works... they wear you down and you just get to the point where you want to be done with the whole thing. I agree, they should have serviced the transmission fluid and jacks. I called just this last Friday to find out the cost to go ahead and replace the transmission fluid: $225.00
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote